Broken images on few sites Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
maehsi

Broken images on few sites

Unread post by maehsi » 2017-06-18, 08:50

Hi everyone,

I've got a few broken images on
forum.encyclopediadramatica.rs
for example when going here it shows "The image xxxx cannot be displayed because it contains errors". Does also not show on Internet Explorer 11 but on a Chrome fork (Vivaldi) it works. Any ideas?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Broken images on few sites

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-18, 10:24

That's what you get when you serve a different file format than what the file indicates.

JPEG != animated GIF.
(the image from the direct link does display properly here, by the way)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

maehsi

Unread post by maehsi » 2017-06-18, 10:47

Thanks for answering. What can I do now? It's not my website.

Edit: It works for me now too, this happens randomly.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-18, 11:07

maehsi wrote:Thanks for answering. What can I do now? It's not my website.

You can complain to the site owners :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

maehsi

Unread post by maehsi » 2017-06-18, 12:16

Moonchild wrote:
maehsi wrote:Thanks for answering. What can I do now? It's not my website.

You can complain to the site owners :)
Or you might optimize for bad websites ;)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-18, 12:22

maehsi wrote:Or you might optimize for bad websites ;)
That's totally futile, and would make for a lot of non-standard added complexity (and associated bugs)

cipher1024

Unread post by cipher1024 » 2017-07-02, 06:36

I have this problem on some sites as well. Yes, the web site is serving incorrect file name/actual contents, and I understand not wanting to add code, but depending on the name of the file seems a little like a web site depending on the browser's user agent instead of probing for capabilities. They'd both be nice if they always worked but it's more prudent to check.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-07-04, 00:15

Pale Moon checks first and foremost for the MIME type that a server sends (which is something the server MUST set up properly for the web to work). After that, it will sniff the file's contents (unless it is being told not to), and as final fallback the extension is used. So that's all covered.

If a website either sends no MIME type or sends the MIME type based on their (incorrect) extension, then that is entirely the server's fault.