Animated download arrow moves across screen on simple page loads

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
xpmoon

Animated download arrow moves across screen on simple page loads

Unread post by xpmoon » 2017-05-09, 09:42

Hi,

I searched the FAQ and 2017's reported Win bugs so my apologies if this has been reported or is a switchable feature.

Quite often I get a seemingly random animated download arrow moving from center screen to the download arrow on the Navigation Bar when simply clicking a new link i.e. not clicking on a file to download. It also happens quite often when starting a new session and clicking on tab that starts to reload a previous webpage.

This happens too even with all add-ons disabled.

Pale Moon Version: 27.3.0 (64-bit)
Win7 Pro

Thanks for any help.

xpmoon

Re: Animated download arrow moves across screen on simple page loads

Unread post by xpmoon » 2017-05-09, 13:24

I hope the last few seconds of this video shows the issue better, focus on the mid to top right hand corner.

https://vimeo.com/216669124

Thanks

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-10, 19:17

Hi, that is normal behavior. It indicates that your download is complete! 8-)
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

xpmoon

Unread post by xpmoon » 2017-05-11, 07:05

When you say "...download complete" do you mean (1) the webpage has finished downloading or (2) a file is starting to download/is downloaded to the Download folder.

If you mean (1) then this is the first time PM has shown this to me and it doesn't always do so for every webpage, if (2) nothing is downloaded to the Downloads folder.

In the past it has only occurred when I have clicked to download a file; I find it disconcerting because its visually distracting and also makes me wonder if some sort of say, screen grab is in progress.

Thanks

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-05-11, 16:19

AFAICS, In my setup the Downloads Indicator button only animates when files are downloaded. It doesn't treat the loading of a tab or page as a "download".

Normally I keep that button hidden, so haven't checked this over an extended period, but so far as I know what you see is not expected behavior.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-05-12, 05:50

I reread the original post. It does sound like something is wrong, and that this is not the normal behavior. The animation should only happen when downloading a file, but xpmoon writes that it is happening when clicking on a link, presumably to load a page rather than download a file.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-05-12, 11:20

@xpmoom

I've been following this topic thread. This is happened to me only when I've downloaded something using 32 bit Pale Moon (no matter the version number) in 64 bit Windows 7.

It seems the download either failed or it somehow got corrupted during the download. When I opened a page, started a new session or opened a new tab, I saw the exact action with the Download button/icon you saw. I played around with this problem for awhile. I finally solved it on all of my Windows 7 (Ultimate & Home Premium) hard drives by deleting everything in the "Show All Downloads" list.

After doing the above, the Download button/icon "no longer moves across the screen" which was in your video. Don't know why it works, but it works for me in Windows 7. You might want to try this and see if this works for you since you're also running Windows 7.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

xpmoon

Unread post by xpmoon » 2017-05-12, 15:08

@coffeebreak and @gracious1: Thank you for confirming that the animated arrow for the Downloads Indicator is not normal behavior when simply loading a tab or page.

@Night Wing: Thank you for sharing your similar behavior (PM 32bit on Win7 x64); to clarify, my system is a Genuine Win7 Pro x64 running PM Version: 27.3.0 (64-bit). Before implementing your solution of "...deleting everything in the "Show All Downloads" list.", I will wait 48 hours to preserve my current state (just in case a Dev wishes me to submit a diagnostic that may otherwise fail to show a useful record of faults).

Thank you all again.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2017-05-12, 18:24

I have recently, since last update, been noticing the same, for me it seems to be a failed torrent dld file and it will continue to do it every so often until I go and dld the file again, once the file has been dld'd the issue stops. Clearing the all dld's didn't work for me.

Win 8.1(x64)
PM 27.3 (x64)