PM is slowing and temporary freezing after a few hours from start Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Re: PM is slowing and temporary freezing after a few hours from start

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-03, 19:13

And here is attachament with a capture from "What's hang" report ( when PM hangs)
Attachments
Hang.txt
(251.25 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
Windows 10 pro /64 (version 1809)
PM last/64

Harvest Moon

Unread post by Harvest Moon » 2017-10-07, 19:06

Hi Pale Moon People!

I have same problem.... as badnick does in:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=15668#p113666

What is rule on PMB Forum?

I don't want to make duplicate threads so Do I add to his open thread?

Or do I create my own??

Not exactly what badnick has

I have Windows 7 (x64) Professional on i5 laptop.

I get his screen! {Don't get confused I don't get his Facebook site, I copied his screen here from the earlier posting on this thread just to compare with mine below, if I should not have done that if its too confusing then next time I won't do it, let me know! Opinions?)
Pale Moon Browser freezing by script 10-6-17 PS31474.jpg
Happens on many different pages... Today mine occurred on the ESPN site page:
Pale Moon Browser freezing by script 10-6-17 PS31474.jpg
So I don't have Facebook (gasp! Right) So I don't know if my PMB would react the same on a Facebook page and have no idea what "Bitdefender" is as I only use Norton Internet Security and Malwarebytes.

So I hope this bumps up the conversation from October 2nd so someone sees it and lets me know if I can continue in his thread or should I re-post everything in a brand new thread.

Oh, I forgot to mention: another difference! (I should have planned this post better)

I don't have to wait hours for this to happen!

Today, this screen on ESPN occurred on starting PMB and it reopened the page I left off on.

I let it sit for a few hours and it seems to have resolved itself (after pressing "Continue" as my choice).

That is not a reasonable solution! Don't use the web or Internet for a few hours until it is working again. I would hope there can be a patch for all of us who have this problem, if there are more than just us two.

Oh I have 5 windows and multiple tabs---is that too many windows and tabs? Is there a limit? Is it published somewhere ?

Again, this is occurring only since PMB update 27.5.0.

I want to congratulate everyone involved on an otherwise great update. Many minor problems (that I did not see others post about so I decided not to post) since the last update were solved to my satisfaction. I like PMB! Just this one new problem/issue.

Thanks for reading me!
XP VM USER

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-08, 07:32

Yeah, I don't have major problems like I' seen here ( youtube isues, high CPU usage..etc) but only this, and is annoying. :|
PM last/64

Harvest Moon

Unread post by Harvest Moon » 2017-10-08, 22:51

badnick wrote: but only this, and is annoying. :|
As I said above, the newest update solved a number of small annoying things I never wanted to bother the developers with as I assumed I was only one experiencing some of these, and if I was not, I'd let the others who write better than I do complain and get a patch or update done.

So coming here and finding your posting right away badnick allowed me to piggyback on your conversation here.

So what happens next? Do we just endure the problem as we know PMB is better than anything else out there. But right now its hampering my ability to use computer when I want to use it.

[I shouldn't say anything but had computer on internet on PMB all day today, Sunday and nothing bad happened.]

They can't fix things behind the scenes can they? We have to download a patch or something for it to effect our computers and stop the script problem. I've used the pages (more than one) that this happens on for years and nothing like this before (I should say yes I've seen the warning box before, but when I go to a weird page I should not have visited, not commonly visited pages).

As always thank you for reading me!

XP VM USER

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-09, 05:20

I just did a refresh. Let's see what happens next.
PM last/64

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-09, 09:14

Still happens also in fresh clean profile.
But I digged a little and I think I found something: I'm a daily Facebook user and I observed that some embeded videos don't work well if the HD option is enabled. They can cause page freezing. So now I disabled HD option for videos on Facebook, worth to try.
https://sendvid.com/1ul6i7ie
PM last/64

Harvest Moon

Unread post by Harvest Moon » 2017-10-10, 12:54

Thanks badnick!

But 1. I don't have or use Facebook.

2. My freezing occurs on regular pages (only videos are the ads which I do not have adblocker as that I hear only causes other problems and I don't care about ads---I win by purposely NOT buying whatever it is they are selling, just because they bothered me on the internet!

3. I clicked on your link above, and Malwarebytes declares its a known malware site so it prohibited me from entering it (I got in, but when I clicked on the "video" to see the demo of the solution for Facebook, I was blocked and thrown out of entire site by Malwarebytes and I always listen to them and never create an exception to their stopping me.

Thanks for the info! *PMB Still freezing here at random times.... boy is it cold!

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-10, 16:30

I think you misunderstood. the issue is occured not only on facebook, look at my earlier post with the 2 pictures , one for facebook and one for other site.
But I think the issue begins to manifest after accesing of some kind of videos presents on Facebook or on other sites (embeded videos). Facebook was just an example because I access it more often.
Today I did an experiment: I did not visit any video from any site except Youtube and no such issue yet,my computer is on from about 12 hrs with intermittent moments of browsing /idle.
Btw, you can access safety the link, your malwarebytes alarm is false. My Bitdefernder is one of the best AV from the market and he indicate me nothing dangerous, nor uBlockorigin. "Sendvid" is a site where you can upload videos.
Latest, I see an update to 27.5.1. Maybe...... :roll:
PM last/64

Harvest Moon

Unread post by Harvest Moon » 2017-10-10, 16:42

Hi badnick!

Thanks for the update notice! I'll get it right away and see if it solves the problem!

Oh, and I usually don't use "any" videos at all. Sometimes I can go whole days without even a "You Tube". People send me them and I just don't have time to watch the cute adorable kittens and balls of yarn for 10,000th time! ;)

Will check out Bitdefender and others you mentioned just wanted to get this out about the update you told me about!

Harvest Moon

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2017-10-10, 17:12

I'm not experiencing this with the HD and using the latest Palemoon version, on Facebook.
Could you try disabling hardware acceleration?

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-10, 18:31

megaman wrote:I'm not experiencing this with the HD and using the latest Palemoon version, on Facebook.
Could you try disabling hardware acceleration?
It is not normal to try to resolve this by disabling hwa...That's an very old "solution" for this kind of problems..
Note that on Youtube I can watch 1080p/60 fps with no one problem..but there are not embeded videos.
Meantime I update to 27.5.1 so let's see further
PM last/64

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2017-10-10, 18:39

badnick wrote:It is not normal to try to resolve this by disabling hwa...That's an very old "solution" for this kind of problems..
Note that on Youtube I can watch 1080p/60 fps with no one problem..but there are not embeded videos.
A solution, even if temporary is a solution. Yes, try 27.5.1. But I can't experience the problem you have on it(Facebook HD) and I too can see 1080p/60fps. So it lies on your codecs in the OS. I'm late to the party but have you tried another browser to test?

Edit: I'll wait for the reply on the new version, but even I have had problems that no one else experienced before, so it can be a mystery to find the root of the problem.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-10, 18:56

megaman wrote:
badnick wrote:It is not normal to try to resolve this by disabling hwa...That's an very old "solution" for this kind of problems..
A solution, even if temporary is a solution. Yes, try 27.5.1. But I can't experience the problem you have on it(Facebook HD) and I too can see 1080p/60fps. So it lies on your codecs in the OS. I'm late to the party but have you tried another browser to test?

Edit: I'll wait for the reply on the new version, but even I have had problems that no one else experienced before, so it can be a mystery to find the root of the problem.
Yes ofcourse I tested on a lot of browsers (opera/vivaldi/IE 11/Firefox) and there is no issue.
I updated to 27.5.1 and at first sight seems the issue is no more present..but is too early for a conclusion.
PM last/64

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2017-10-10, 19:11

I also tested ESPN and saw a random video, it was all good, no script errors or problems.
If that one is also fine, then whatever was being problematic was fixed in the process.

From the links, they seem to be ads that failed to load, maybe a time-out.
Fixed from their own end, all the sites? I'm confused myself.

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-10, 19:19

Better I draw a conclusion tomorrow after a couple hours of running..
PM last/64

badnick
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by badnick » 2017-10-11, 16:28

So, despite the fact that some videos on Facebook still don't work if the HD options is checked, there are no more freezing and very rare lagging .
And 1080p/60fps videos on youtube play fine at just 7-10% CPU wich is great.
PM last/64

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-10-11, 16:39

Considered solved.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite