Memory leak after days of use Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
xtal256
Moonbather
Moonbather

Memory leak after days of use

Unread post by xtal256 » 2017-04-30, 23:46

Hi,

I have found that after about a week of usage, memory is up to 3GB and eventually crashes (OOM).

I am on 27.2.1 (32-bit). Although I notice there is a newer version, I don't want to wait another week to see if that version also has the problem. Hopefully the memory report will highlight the problem. It shows about a gigabyte of unclassified heap, which may be due to the graphics driver or something. But it also shows over a gigabyte used by chrome://firebug/content/firefox/firebugFrame.xul, and 370MB used by strings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[Window Detective] - Windows UI spy utility for programmers

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Memory leak after days of use

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-05-01, 00:00

Bug reports are only valid for the Currently Released version. If you want any traction on your issue you MUST confirm it with the latest release.

xtal256
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xtal256 » 2017-05-01, 00:28

So no one can look at my memory report to see if there is anything that sticks out? I understand the devs don't want to waste time finding a bug that has already been fixed, but it's equally likely that the bug still exists in the latest version. Surely it's worth a quick look.

I've updated to the latest version now, and will continue monitoring the memory. If it looks like the leak still exists, I'll post another memory report.

xtal256
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xtal256 » 2017-05-01, 23:56

After running for a day, memory is slowly climbing. It's now up to 900MB. Firebug is still using the most memory of all the windows/tabs.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-02, 02:37

Then that is a leak in the Firebug extension, not in the browser. I'm sorry but we can't help you with your issue.
It's not our code and not our responsibility to debug and/or fix.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

xtal256
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xtal256 » 2017-05-02, 03:41

Oh, so Firebug is not shipped as part of Pale Moon then? I assumed it was, since I don't see it in my extensions list.

btw, this is Firebug, right? I'm confused because it looks like Firebug but the title says "Developer Tools".

Also, looking in the "Pale Moon\Profiles\<profile>\extensions\" directory, I see "devtools@addons.palemoon.org.xpi". Inside that is a folder called "firebug". So it seems that your dev tools does include Firebug. I'm on version 1.0.0a1, and there are no updates to it. Has this changed recently?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-02, 04:26

The "web developer tools" extension is a firebug fork. They are not included in the browser by default, and should be listed as a normal extension in the add-on manager.
You should probably remove it (since it's not really maintained as such, and it's a prerelease version you seem to have) and use the in-browser devtools instead.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

xtal256
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by xtal256 » 2017-05-03, 23:05

After removing Firebug/Developer Tools, memory is holding at around 500MB after running for a few days.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-05-09, 05:41

I am not at all surprised by this.. Now that we have Mozilla DevTools working almost perfectly there is little point in the Firebug fork..

There are a few options.. Assimilate the project into Binary Outcast and change the name (cause I am not part of the Add-ons Team) and work on it.. Though, I hate bootstrapped extensions.. Rebrand it as-is to remove confusion and fix one little bug and just leave it open to the community to contribute and leave it managed by the Add-ons Team.. Or EX-TER-MIN-ATE it and have it blacklisted as just a bad idea.

You guys can decide.. I will obey.