Can't Log Into Banking Website (TDBank.com) Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
gmeades

Can't Log Into Banking Website (TDBank.com)

Unread post by gmeades » 2017-04-18, 14:05

Can't Log Into Banking Website (TDBank.com)

Problem Description-
When ID is entered in User Name field on TDBank.com "online banking" (top button on right), the center characters of the ID are not replaced by asterisks as they normally are (to indicate they are encrypted or hidden), they are instead replaced by question marks when using the Pale Moon browser.

These questions marks seem to indicate that the application cannot recognize these characters for proper encryption, or to translate them properly once hidden.

Using the Pale Moon browser, I cannot log into this online banking app from any of my 4 computers, but must instead open any of the other browsers which are installed on these machines (i.e. IE, Chrome, or Firefox). Every browser except Pale Moon replaces the center characters with asterisks, and allows me to log in successfully. Pale Moon, however, replaces these same center characters instead with question marks, and will not allow me to log in to the app.

On every browser, including Pale Moon, the User Name field is prefilled in, as I've saved the log in credentials on each browser, however, when I enter the password when attempting to log in using the Pale Moon browser and press the "log In" button, nothing happens. No Log In takes place. There is no error message returned. The password field simply reverts once again to a blank state.

It has always been like this since I first installed Pale Moon on my computers. I've not said anything or reported it previously, as I've noticed there always seems to be updates for security and encryption protocols with every Pale Moon update, so I thought it might be fixed in time if I simply waited. As I've come to use Pale Moon pretty much exclusively over the past few months however, the inability to use Pale Moon to log into my online banking account has become a bit more frustrating and I thought it time to see if something might be able to be done to identify why this is happening and to see if a fix for this might be able to be attained.

Thx...! ;-)

Bugzilla Info: I didn't find any mention of this defect being listed on Bugzilla
Cache Clearing: Clearing the cache seems to have no effect at all in correcting this problem.

Steps to reproduce the problem -
1. Open Pale Moon browser
2. Go to https://onlinebanking.tdbank.com/
3. in User Name field, enter any 8 characters.
4. Click on Password field.
5. Result - middle characters in User Name field will be replaced by question marks ("????") when they should be replaced by asterisks ("****}

Operating system: Windows 7 (32 + 64 bit)
Pale Moon Version: 27.2.1 (32-bit Desktop)
Hardware: Dell Optiplex 960 3.0 Ghz Quad Core, 4-8 GB RAM

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Can't Log Into Banking Website (TDBank.com)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-18, 14:20

Looks like the "?" is exactly what the website says the characters should be replaced with.

See: var chSymbol = "?";

Code: Select all

function MaskUserName(){

var user  = "";
		var chSymbol = "?";
		var i, j, len, len2;

if (fChUserName == "true")
		{
			user = document.getElementById("txtUser").value;
			len = user.length;
			len2 = ActualUser.length;

if (len2 >= 4 && len2 <= 6) { j = 1; }
			else if (len2 >= 7 && len2 <= 9) { j = 2; }
			else if (len2 >= 10) { j = 3; }

for (i = 0 ; (i < len) && (j < len2) ; i++) {

if (user.charAt(i) == chSymbol) {
					user = user.substr(0, i) + ActualUser.charAt(j) + user.substr(i + 1);
					j++;
				}
			}

ActualUser = user;
	}
		else
		{
			user = ActualUser;
		}

user = user.replace(/^\s+|\s+$/gm,'');	// remove whitespaces from both sides of a string

document.getElementById("txtUser").value = TDMaskingRule(user) ;
		if (fOnce == "false") { fOnce = "true";	}

return;
	}
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

BenFenner
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by BenFenner » 2017-04-18, 22:21

I do computer work on the side, and have many clients running Pale Moon. A client of mine reported a similar issue logging into TDBank. He is fine using another browser solely for banking while this issue gets sorted. I just wanted to chime in with a corroboration.

Particularly corroborating this part:
gmeades wrote:On every browser, including Pale Moon, the User Name field is prefilled in, as I've saved the log in credentials on each browser, however, when I enter the password when attempting to log in using the Pale Moon browser and press the "log In" button, nothing happens. No Log In takes place. There is no error message returned. The password field simply reverts once again to a blank state.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-18, 23:42

Well, that doesn't seem to have anything to do with the replacement of characters in the ID (which is quite unnecessary, anyway).

Unfortunately it's difficult to troubleshoot without actually having an account.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

gmeades

Unread post by gmeades » 2017-04-23, 21:29

Moonchild wrote -
Looks like the "?" is exactly what the website says the characters should be replaced with.
As I mentioned, every browser (other than Pale Moon, i.e. IE, Firefox, and Chrome, on my computer) replaces these characters with an asterisk ("*") and does not replace them with a question mark.

Why Pale Moon is unique in replacing characters with a question mark, or whose source code tells it to replace characters with a question mark, I have no idea, and yet it is also the only browser that I have used that will not allow a user to log into their account on the TD Bank website. So, obviously, this is not normal behavior to not be able to log in, while one can log in without any problem at all using any other browser.

The only difference that is seen between any browser which does allow a log in to this website, and Pale Moon which does not, is the question marks showing up to replace characters, instead of the asterisks which show up on every other browser.

So, it's curious if the code indicates that characters should be replaced with question marks when using other browsers why other browsers do not show question marks, but show asterisks instead.

Or, did you only look at the source code using the Pale Moon browser, and did not check the source code using any of the other browsers which are known to work...? It may be that the code which shows up in other browsers might indicate an asterisk being the replacement character, which may lead a step further along to finding where the problem may lay and closer to a solution.

I had a suspicion that the problem may be a bit more difficult to resolve without having an account, but even still, no other browser replaces characters with a question mark, every one of them replaces the characters with an asterisk, and that is the only difference that is noted, so it does seem odd that source code for any other browser should be telling them to use a question mark, as they do not. Not one of them. So, if source code can be seen without having an account, as it obviously was here, perhaps having an account is not a necessity in ferreting out what the actual problem is here.

Note: Thanks to BenFenner for confirming this problem is not isolated to my experience or my computers alone... very much appreciated.

GMforker

Unread post by GMforker » 2017-04-24, 04:17

See "useragent sniffing" - via search on the forum here.

e.g. it works:

general.useragent.override.tdbank.com

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9 (Pale Moon)

gmeades

Unread post by gmeades » 2017-04-24, 20:35

GMforker wrote:See "useragent sniffing" - via search on the forum here.

e.g. it works:

general.useragent.override.tdbank.com

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.9 (Pale Moon)
Thanks GMfirker,

The "useragent sniffing" info pretty much confirmed what I thought might be going on, as I've run into a number of other sites that detect Pale Moon v27 as being Firefox v27 and tell me my browser is outdated, and ask me to update in order to view their contents. So, the aspect that these sites can't discern between Firefox and a browser that is based on Firefox is one thing to keep in mind, certainly.

I didn't understand what you meant by "it works", or how to use the code you provided to get it to work. I'm not a developer, so if using that line of code somehow gets the site to work, It would be great if you might be able to provide a bit of instruction on how to apply it, as at the moment I don't have any idea what to do with it.

Appreciate the help...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-24, 22:01

You have to add this override in the browser, to present the bank with a false user agent.

It's explained in a good number of other posts already, but here you go, once more with feeling:
  1. Open the preferences editor by entering "about:config" in the address bar and pressing enter.
  2. Read and understand the message about dragons ;) -- be careful when you continue.
  3. In the list of preferences you see before you, right-click anywhwere, and choose New -> String
  4. You will be asked to name the new preference. name it general.useragent.override.tdbank.com
  5. You will then be asked for a value. Copy and paste the value displayed in the code block in the previous post.
You've now created an override specifically for the tdbank.com website. Re-load the login page, and you should have a more functional site.

ron_1
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by ron_1 » 2017-04-24, 23:48

Moonchild wrote:
Open the preferences editor by entering "about;config" in the address bar and pressing enter.
Use a colon, not a semicolon, for "about:config". Sorry to point out your typo MC! :)

satrow's edit: I fixed it ;)

gmeades

Unread post by gmeades » 2017-04-25, 00:03

Thanks Moonchild...
Worked like a charm...!
Appreciated the step by step walkthrough, as I had no idea where to find that info or what to call it in order to search for it...
like they say, everything is easy when you know how... and if you don't, oh well...

So, mystery solved, and I'm so happy to be able to use Pale Moon for the TDBank website now...
one less aggravation when browsing and more usage of Pale Moon which is by far my preferred browser for it's smaller footprint and better performance overall...

Thanks again for the help...! ;-)