No photo only comments on Facebook

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

No photo only comments on Facebook

Unread post by nimanima » 2017-03-26, 22:04

Is it just here, or a new thing?
I just tried to post a comment on a friend's post on Facebook. This comment should just contain a photo, no written text. This was possible earlier. But now after uploading the photo I had to fill in something in the textbox as well, otherwise hitting the return key gave no reaction (and no post). Strange! A new Facebook restriction, or a browser (27.2.1) glitch?

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: No photo only comments on Facebook

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-03-26, 23:40

It works here, I can photo-only comment. I'm using this override for facebook.com and fbcdn.net, try with that. It might also be just a random FB glitch, try clearing the cache.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2017-03-26, 23:56

From your post I'm assuming that you want your comment contains no text and only an uploaded photo...yes!
If that's the the case then yes I had to insert text too, in my case I only inserted a full stop, which appeared directly after name and the pic appeared in the next line.
Doesn't happen in FF and it's only a minor inconvenience in PM.

EDIT: no overides here.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-27, 12:12

Not really much we can do about it without knowing what it checks for. And Facebook does not cooperate with independent devs, so.. consider it a quirk of their script not seeing that you actually inserted a non-text element.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2017-03-27, 19:02

Okay, thanks for confirming. There is is another thing which I have just noticed. In Facebook Groups members can post documents (Word, Excel, PDF). When I leftclick on a Word Document I can see it like a Facebook post, and in the right upper corner there is a grey field saying that "editing in this browser is not possible". Which is a bit ridiculous when it is a document where persons for example are supposed to enter names of families they are researching in a certain area (genealogy). What does that mean? Also downloading Word and Excel files is no longer possible, it only works with PDFs. A general Facebook restriction or a "Facebook not supporting Pale Moon" issue?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-27, 19:38

Probably the latter, Facebook not supporting Pale Moon.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2017-03-27, 19:57

Okay, the "not downloading" thing has been solved. It affects only the kind of documents that have been created right in the document editor of Facebook. They are not downloadable. However the not being able to edit thing is definitely a glitch, since the group admin who explained the downloading thing to me confirmed that it should be possible for everybody to edit these documents. He uses Chrome, but I find it quite a-social when a community such as Facebook wants to force people to use one particular browser. Chrome not even having a menu is out of discussion for me anyway. However that's what I get when opening such a document:
Attachments
Anzeige Gruppen-Docs.png

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-03-27, 21:58

If you had followed my post right after yours, you would know that documents can be edited with Pale Moon, too. Just confirmed it.
rabnbeinn wrote:EDIT: no overides here.
You are already using Facebook overrides, they are included with Pale Moon. You just need to change them a bit for this to work.