PaleMoon frequent hangs

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
gpower2

PaleMoon frequent hangs

Unread post by gpower2 » 2017-03-04, 09:23

I have previously reported the frequent hangs/freezes with PaleMoon (viewtopic.php?f=29&t=10885)
and switching from AdBlock Latitude to uBlock Origin has helped a lot!
However, the freezes started to appear again and lately are quite frequent.
I am now using v27.1.2 which solved the FaceBook hang, but it didn't solve the frequent brief hangs/freezes.
I am experiencing this issue in 3 different hardware systems, so I am sure that it is definetely not my specific system's configuration.
After trying a lot of different approaches, I found out that creating a new clean profile and then syncing the data solves the freezes for sometime, only for them to come back after a few time.

I can totally understand that all the above don't help a lot (maybe they don't help at all), so I fired up WhatIsHang in auto-refresh mode, and saved all the reports for the hans/freezes that occured during the timespan of half an hour (19 reports, not even 20, right? :p ). Looking at them, it seems to me that it's mainly a JS thing, but I can't be sure. I know that the team is currently trying to solve the media issues with the new MediaFormatReader, so I am not in a hurry for my issue, though I believe that if it can pointed down, it would help PaleMoon a lot.

I could also help with it with the code, if you can point me to the right direction, or tell me how I could make a debug build and attach VS to PaleMoon process to pinpoint the exact callstack.
Attachments
pm-hang-reports-2017-03-04.7z
(123.06 KiB) Downloaded 31 times

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: PaleMoon frequent hangs

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-04, 09:54

What I would like to know are your hangs actually unrecoverable deadlocks or are the bulk of them momentary main thread blocks. At this point, the latter is top priority.

Also, can you please switch to unstable builds preferably on Windows because little is gained by trying to work through this on release builds.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2017-03-04, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.

gpower2

Unread post by gpower2 » 2017-03-04, 10:00

No they are not unrecoverable hangs, like the one about FaceBook that got resolved, they are more like "hiccups".

If I switch to unstable channel, what should I do then? Send new hang reports or something else?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-04, 10:04

Since unstable is built from our trunk (master) it is more helpful to try and eval on that since changes are well ahead release.

There are changes progressing there than can't reasonably be uplifted as point releases on the current relbranch but will be in the next intended major release.

Keep in mind, Pale Moon version numbers are Milestone.Major.Minor with the fourth point being used only for rare out of band releases like say fixing a critical linux only screw up or whatever..

Only something critical like the media deadlock would be uplifted to a relbranch if not otherwise being a superficial minor change or sec related fixes.

Everything else simply happens on trunk and that will when deemed substantive will be stableized and be branched off to the next relbranch for major release.

The simple fact is the more people who are even half-techically minded using unstable and reporting things and fixing things and testing those fixes in a perpetual testing initiative the better our releases will become.. This is why the unstable builds exist. That and closed doors beta testing with rare exception hasn't worked out as well as it was hoped for in recent years..

moonseeker

Unread post by moonseeker » 2017-04-22, 01:32

Well, Thanks to tips like yours.... I was running Adblock Latitude and couldn't figure out why I was having frequent lockups/hangs/freezes/not responding issues. I was quite surprised after I removed Adblock Latitude and installed uBlock Origin, haven't had one problem yet (fingers crossed), no lockups/hangs/freezes/not responding issues anymore. I guess Adblock Latitude doesn't like my computer system type? Happy with how fast and peppy Pale Moon is now though! :) Thanks for mentioning this!!!

AppliedScience

Unread post by AppliedScience » 2017-04-22, 16:10

Every. Day.
I get AppHang:
__
Description:
A problem caused this program to stop interacting with Windows.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: AppHangB1
Application Name: palemoon.exe
Application Version: 27.2.1.6290
__
gpower2 wrote:switching from AdBlock Latitude to uBlock Origin has helped a lot!
I will try it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-22, 16:15

Please check the stickies about information to include when you report something.
  1. System information, operating system, etc.
  2. When do the hangs occur?
  3. Whatishang report
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

AppliedScience

Unread post by AppliedScience » 2017-07-11, 23:58

Moonchild wrote:Please check the stickies about information to include when you report something.
  1. System information, operating system, etc.
  2. When do the hangs occur?
  3. Whatishang report
That information was provided in this thread.
*What has been done in an attempt to address the frequent hangs? *
They still happen for me as well (less frequently after substituting uBlock for Latitude, but still happening).
As you already know, they frequently happen on sites that have a lot of video content.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-07-12, 00:42

AppliedScience wrote:That information was provided in this thread.
Excuse me, but we need *your* detailed information, without that, we can't even guess where your issue lies.