cant connect

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
NCJeff

cant connect

Unread post by NCJeff » 2017-02-26, 15:56

I went to do the survey and couldn't , not from Palemoon anyway had to use Google lol I get this when trying to access the survey from Palemoon This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Pale Moon to connect securely to docs.google.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

docs.google.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because the issuer certificate is unknown.

(Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

And I get this quite often for sites I've been using forever ...weird thing is like most all other browsers when you run across this there is an option to proceed anyway , most times I dont get that option using Palemoon like with the survey I got no option to proceed anyway yet on another site I got that message with It gave me the option to proceed anyway

dark_moon

Re: cant connect

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-02-26, 15:59

Sound you use a security tool or have configs which block a lot.
The google survey use a valid cert and is fine.

Also can you make a screenshot of the error? Sound not like real Pale Moon message

NCJeff

Unread post by NCJeff » 2017-03-03, 18:16

I'm fairly certain any security tools I use that would block PaleMoon would block all the other browsers as well
Attachments
rthere.JPG

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-03, 18:37

Most of the time this kind of error isn't due to an issue with the browser itself, but because security software (which one are you using?) or other potentially unwanted software that is monitoring or intercepting encrypted network traffic on your pc - which looks like a man-in-the-middle attack in Pale Moon & therefore you get the warning...
Security software often installs required intermediates into browsers it knows about which may be why other browsers in use don't warn you.

Could you tell us which issuer information the certificate contains when you inspect it (see screenshot)?
(You may have to set browser.xul.error_pages.expert_bad_cert in about:config to get the "I understand the risks" option)
Attachments
00-06-53-03d708.png
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Joerg

Unread post by Joerg » 2017-04-07, 20:34

I am loking for a solution for this problem that occures for me since about 2 weeks from time to time
I know the way to add exception like posted with screenshot by Moonchild - but at least with the current version of PaleMoon (27.2.1/64bit on Win7/64) there is no option to add an exception anymore
I have only installed Panda Antivirus no other security package and also no security related add on (no script, but even if some/all scripts are blocked iI still should have the option for an exception - the the page might not be displayed with blocked script has nothing to do with this)
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Joerg

Unread post by Joerg » 2017-04-07, 20:51

and as it really annoy me I keep testing and find a workaround - nothing really to use as solution (and not sure if it works on all pages)
see attached picture of the site and how it looks after switching from Menü View > Page Style > to No Style (before it was "basic page style" and obvious the page is not displayd correct.
However, I found this untrusted-explanation etc in one of the boxes which also gives me the "add exception button" and it also worked. I cannot resize the box but I can scroll down.

PLEASE FIX IT, its really annoying
Attachments
Capture1.JPG

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-09, 02:14

For security reasons, it is never allowed to make an exception for a secure page with a security error when it is a frame (because you will not be able to see the actual frame's URL).
Working around this measure by making things unstyled is very unwise. You clearly don't understand what you're doing and don't understand the risks.

The error you see is very simple, too, and something the webmasters of swp.de must fix.
The problem is they seemingly don't understand how wildcard certificates work.

*.swp.de is valid for one subdomain level; it is therefore valid for red.swp.de but not valid for www.red.swp.de
They need to get a proper certificate, or not redirect to www.*

So, instead of demanding that we "fix" this, kindly redirect your complaint to swp.de. We're doing everything exactly as we should.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite