Google's new Comments Bell not working in Pale Moon

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Google's new Comments Bell not working in Pale Moon

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-08, 19:13

Wow.. what deep insight, Nova25.. Per-chance can you point us to the feature or bug that allows it to work?!

Nova25

Unread post by Nova25 » 2017-03-09, 00:13

Matt A Tobin wrote:Wow.. what deep insight, Nova25.. Per-chance can you point us to the feature or bug that allows it to work?!
I don't want to sound offensive, or derail this conversation too much so that other people can actually offer help related to the presented issue, but with all due respect...

Do you understand PR ? :wtf:
I don't see, while one of the 'big names' in Palemoon, how being awfully condescending (which I'm somewhat insulted to be treated as such) and antagonistic to your user-base... How is that any good to you or Palemoon as a whole ? This is not an attitude to open with, that's very positive overall or indirectly reflects well on the browser.

As for 'my' previous message; I JUST resumed the issue in no uncertain(as best as possible) term as to make sure everyone was on the same level. No one can solve an issue, on an uneven field, when there's (possible) confusion everywhere, after all.
That's... all.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-09, 00:56

Off-topic:
Let me once again be clear. I am no longer a member of the Pale Moon project.. While I continue helping out every now and again and am committed to fulfilling my prior commitment in the development of Project Phoebus, the software which is continuing to evolve to drive the Add-ons Site.. My statements are my own and not those of an agent of the project. For which I have not been since November 2016.

That being said, while I am not IN authority (in an administrative or more basic power sense) I can still be AN authority (in the in-depth knowledge sense). I have never been one that was good at spinning PR marketing nonsense.. Since, I no longer speak in any official capacity I largely have stopped trying to portray the role of public relations of which I have never been too successful in anyway. So feel free to ignore what I say if the manor I conduct my self or my facts and opinions offend you.

However, I merely wanted to express my opinion that reiterating this issue doesn't happen in the mainstream browsers was redundant at best. Perhaps, you should consider what you post when it is something that isn't adding anything new to the discussion and/or if your sensibilities are so fragile that mild sarcasm will offend you.

_Poke_

Unread post by _Poke_ » 2017-03-09, 01:01

I don't have any notifications in there, but I made the settings cog work with just some CSS. I assume the actual notifications would be fixed the same way.

The issue is, for some reason they set the entire notification frame to "pointer-events: none;" which means it cannot be interacted with. Maybe this is meant to be removed by something that doesn't fire? Either way, if you have Stylish just put this in:

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);

@-moz-document domain("notifications.google.com") {
html {pointer-events: auto !important;}
}
To clarify, this fixes the issue on Google Plus and Gmail. It already worked on Youtube.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-09, 01:14

Fascinating.. I wonder why this set at all.. Fantastic work _Poke_. It always makes me very happy to see someone work out a constructive workaround.

Still would very much like to know what is causing that not to be removed/reset though..

EDIT: I can confirm that the above css mod and/or any method to change or kill that css property will indeed get everything functioning again. I used DOM Inspector to remove the property and everything started being all clicky again.

Channel 2012

Comments Bell Still broken

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2017-03-18, 20:01

Unfortunately, despite the google.com fix in Pale Moon 27.2, the issue still persists. Does anybody know if the tweak mentioned earlier is going to be integrated into the next version of Pale Moon?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-18, 20:31

That isn't something that can be built into the browser. Not without building in excessive methods of manipulating content that rightly should be part of an extension. Whatever it is google is doing or detecting or whatever to add that property to that element it isn't a problem on our side. Pale Moon is doing exactly what it is being told to do.

Here is a task for someone.. Go see if that property is attached in Chrome and Firefox to that element over there.. Also, bitch to Google. Keep bitching. Don't stop bitching to Google. EVER.

Channel 2012

FIXED!

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2017-04-09, 18:56

Good news - it works now! Not sure if it was the latest update (27.2.1) that fixed it or if Google got rid of that weird code on their end, but the bell now functions as well in Pale Moon as it does in IE and Chrome.
:thumbup: :clap: :D

Channel 2012

Still working, but locks the whole browser up sometimes

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2017-05-17, 14:31

Sorry to have to dredge this one up again, but I need to add that something still isn't quite right with this. While the bell is still working fine, (for the most part) there are occasionally issues with the entire browser locking up while using the Bell. It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen at least once every couple of days and only while using the comments Bell. It used to happen during other activities as well, but most of those issues have been ironed out. It seems as though this is the only one that still remains.