Google's new Comments Bell not working in Pale Moon

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
Channel 2012

Google's new Comments Bell not working in Pale Moon

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2017-02-25, 21:57

In their persistent efforts to make the experience as awful as possible, Google has "re-freshed" the comment bell (the red dot with a number that appears at the top of every Google website next to one's username, indicating the number of unread YouTube comments) feature yet again. In addition to the fact that it obnoxiously eliminates the ability to actually reply to comments, (the sole purpose of its existence) it now no longer works at all in Pale Moon. It can be opened, but nothing inside of it can be clicked.

I'm seeing the issue on two different computers running different versions of Windows (32bit Windows 10 with x86 Pale Moon and 64bit Windows 7 with 64bit Pale Moon) and confirm that it does work "properly" (at least as well as it possibly can) in Internet Explorer. Any ideas as to what is causing it or if there is a possible fix?

To replicate, go to http://www.google.com (or any Google website, such as calendar, maps, mail, keep, etc.) and open the comments bell while signed in.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Google's new Comments Bell not working in Pale Moon

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-02-25, 22:03

Google services are only going to work 100% with Chrome (and even that isn't always true).

That being said, i just logged in to my adsense dashboard, saw a notification, clicked the bell and it works just fine.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Channel 2012

It works?

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2017-02-25, 22:08

Moonchild wrote:
That being said, i just logged in to my adsense dashboard, saw a notification, clicked the bell and it works just fine.
Really? You can click on comments and links and everything inside of the bell? And you're using the new comment bell?
Moonchild wrote:Google services are only going to work 100% with Chrome (and even that isn't always true).
I don't think that Google services have ever worked even 85% with Chrome :D.

Channel 2012

Comments bell still not working

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2017-03-04, 15:15

Still a no-go, even with yesterday's 27.1.2 update.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: Comments bell still not working

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-04, 15:16

Channel 2012 wrote:Still a no-go, even with yesterday's 27.1.2 update.
Assuming the problem isn't caused by something you are running.. Why would you expect any change in 27.1.2?

Channel 2012

reply to uncreative title reply

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2017-03-04, 15:19

Matt A Tobin wrote:
Channel 2012 wrote:Still a no-go, even with yesterday's 27.1.2 update.
Assuming the problem isn't caused by something you are running.. Why would you expect any change in 27.1.2?
Just to keep all of the bases covered. It's best when everybody is on the same page as far as versions go.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-04, 15:31

If you had read the release notes for 27.1.2 you would know that there was only one change made which is no way related to to anything that could possibly be causing this issue. In any event.. I can't reproduce this either in release or unstable.

Check your content blocking extensions and also try on a clean profile.

Channel 2012

Fresh profile, still no good

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2017-03-04, 16:26

Matt A Tobin wrote:If you had read the release notes for 27.1.2 you would know that there was only one change made which is no way related to to anything that could possibly be causing this issue. In any event.. I can't reproduce this either in release or unstable.

Check your content blocking extensions and also try on a clean profile.
I did read them and am aware of that. Regardless, it's still good to be on the same page.

Anyway, I fired up a virtual machine which also had an installation of Pale Moon (not synced with the rest of my computers) and tried signing in there. Same problem.
I tried restarting that one in safe mode. Same problem.
I then tried "palemoon -p" to create a brand new profile on that virtual machine and signed in. Same problem.

It can't just be me, since the problem has now been replicated across two different versions of Pale Moon, four different computers, (including the virtual machine, all running different versions of Windows) and five separate Pale Moon profiles (one of which was brand new)! Honestly, is anyone else able to use the comments bell on Google.com? I'm not just talking about opening it; I mean clicking on stuff inside of it. If so, how?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-04, 16:40

Oh on the rest of Google.. Cause on Youtube it works.. Hmm.. Ok I can reproduce then.. Yeah.. All I can tell you at this point is it isn't a UA issue.

Channel 2012

no love for the bell!

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2017-03-04, 16:55

Matt A Tobin wrote:Oh on the rest of Google.. Cause on Youtube it works.. Hmm.. Ok I can reproduce then.. Yeah.. All I can tell you at this point is it isn't a UA issue.
Maybe if you had read the post... ;) :D

In all seriousness though, I stopped using the one on YouTube.com because it went really weird a couple months ago (or so). It was disappointing to see that they broke the still-working bell on Google.com, and even more of a bummer to see that it wasn't working at all in Pale Moon. I guess this marks the end for easy YouTube comment replies.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2017-03-04, 17:01

I haven't been able to comment on youtube for years. Why? I refuse to corrupt my youtube account and channel with Google+ integration or submit to their First Name Last Name crap. Under their policy I would not be allowed to include my middle initial which is unacceptable to me or simply use my last name only. I also want no part of Google+ in general.

So as a consequence I am not able to participate in comments for videos and several other aspects of Google that got bound to Google+ and haven't been released of it.

At any rate.. Save for watching YouTube videos I just don't do Google in Pale Moon because not only is Google unresponsive re: Pale Moon but it is quite impossible to fix issues with Google specifically because all their javascript nonsense is uber obfuscated and minified and undebuggable.

Just the way things are. As a response I have been working to generally reduce my reliance on Google services or any service. None can be trusted anymore and being bound does not in any way appeal to me.

As for issues like this.. I doubt there will ever be a solution unless it is simply fixed as a consequence of advancing Pale Moon in general. IF best possible working Google services is important to you then I suggest you use their own browser which has the highest chance of actually working. If this is a blocker for using Pale Moon in general.. Then so be it. I doubt anyone will lose any sleep over it.

Jim_Spriggs

Unread post by Jim_Spriggs » 2017-03-04, 18:20

Hello everybody!
This issue has kept me awake all night (not really!).
I just came by here to see if anybody was having the same problem. I just noticed this today myself. I don't use notifications very often when I'm on Pale Moon, but it's always worked in the past on both Linux Lubuntu and Windows 7. It's always worked on Chrome anyway, and it still is, so since I also have Chrome on the Windows 7 just for that purpose, that's what it be like.

Channel 2012

Google, Chrome, and Internet Explorer

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2017-03-05, 21:53

Matt A Tobin wrote:I haven't been able to comment on youtube for years. Why? I refuse to corrupt my youtube account and channel with Google+ integration or submit to their First Name Last Name crap. Under their policy I would not be allowed to include my middle initial which is unacceptable to me or simply use my last name only. I also want no part of Google+ in general.

So as a consequence I am not able to participate in comments for videos and several other aspects of Google that got bound to Google+ and haven't been released of it.
I remember when the policy was first enacted to integrate YouTube and Google more tightly. There was a lot of whining, but, in hindsight, it was probably one of the best things that Google ever did for YouTube comments (and one of the few good things in general). Not only did it allow comments to be replied to from any YouTube page, saving time, it also allowed them to be replied to from any Google page, which was unheard of at the time. I warmed up to it within about a day and was thrilled with it for as long as it kept working.

Last year, they announced that they would be loosening this integration again, which pleased the naysayers, but led to the beginning of a series of annoying problems for YouTube comments, apparently culminating with the loss of those features again.

Not sure what you're going on about with "first name last name".
Matt A Tobin wrote: Just the way things are. As a response I have been working to generally reduce my reliance on Google services or any service. None can be trusted anymore and being bound does not in any way appeal to me.
I've actually increased my reliance on Google services. Their calendar and keep features have matured to the point where they can be relied upon for keeping track of data without Microsoft Outlook and with instant automatic synchronization across everything. I still export my data once a month or so just-in-case, but have had no problems so far.
Matt A Tobin wrote: As for issues like this.. I doubt there will ever be a solution unless it is simply fixed as a consequence of advancing Pale Moon in general. IF best possible working Google services is important to you then I suggest you use their own browser which has the highest chance of actually working. If this is a blocker for using Pale Moon in general.. Then so be it. I doubt anyone will lose any sleep over it.
I don't. My guess is that, given the massive popularity of YouTube, (and YouTube comments) I wasn't the only person who was disappointed to see this. I'm confident that everyone's favorite wolf will eventually come up with the solution not many full moons from now on his porch, moonshine in hand. :)
Jim_Spriggs wrote:Hello everybody!
This issue has kept me awake all night (not really!).
I just came by here to see if anybody was having the same problem. I just noticed this today myself. I don't use notifications very often when I'm on Pale Moon, but it's always worked in the past on both Linux Lubuntu and Windows 7. It's always worked on Chrome anyway, and it still is, so since I also have Chrome on the Windows 7 just for that purpose, that's what it be like.
Thanks for your support! I actually don't mind Chrome and have grown to partially embrace all but two aspects of it - the inability to open downloads (it forces the user to save the file instead, every time) and the annoying background update service. That's not to mention the fugly new theme, but that's just one more good reason to stick with Pale Moon. Still, I'd prefer to not have to use Internet Explorer just for YouTube comments.

Perhaps someone has some insight into the cause of the problem?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-05, 21:58

"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Channel 2012

How is it possible?

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2017-03-06, 00:46

I'm curious then. How is it working for you and not for the rest of us?

Nova25

Unread post by Nova25 » 2017-03-07, 03:53

Content of the ''notification box'' on plus.google.com , also not working for me.
It's ''there'', technically, but it's static... unclickable.

half-moon

Re: How is it possible?

Unread post by half-moon » 2017-03-07, 16:23

Channel 2012 wrote:
I can click on the bell and I see notifications there as well.

rm118899

Unread post by rm118899 » 2017-03-07, 16:40

I am having this issue also. It could be that they are testing the update with random sample of users, or doing a partial roll out. I found this also (not written by me):

https://plus.google.com/+AndriusNarbuta ... kko98hwNrs

I don't know if any of them are using Pale Moon, but someone said it wouldn't work with MS Edge.

Channel 2012

Reply to uncreative title reply 2

Unread post by Channel 2012 » 2017-03-08, 15:08

rm118899 wrote:I am having this issue also. It could be that they are testing the update with random sample of users, or doing a partial roll out. I found this also (not written by me):

https://plus.google.com/+AndriusNarbuta ... kko98hwNrs

I don't know if any of them are using Pale Moon, but someone said it wouldn't work with MS Edge.
Sounds like it is, in part, Google's fault for rolling out yet another untested update, in addition to that of Pale Moon for not accommodating for Jerry-rigged web design.
half-moon wrote:
Channel 2012 wrote:
I can click on the bell and I see notifications there as well.
That's not the problem. We can all see the comments, but nothing can actually be clicked on.

Nova25

Unread post by Nova25 » 2017-03-08, 17:10

Ok... let's put all of this is in no uncertain term that will be understood by all parties... as it is apparently necessary.

Regarding the Google Plus website(plus.google.com), for no addon or for all the same addons, on Palemoon(32bit) VS Firefox(32bit), latest versions respectively (me on Windows 7 SP1) :

-The content of the ''notifications' box'' cannot be *interacted with* on Palemoon.

-The content of the ''notifications' box'' can be *interacted with* on Firefox.