weather.com - weird audio loops during video Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
joe04

weather.com - weird audio loops during video

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-02-25, 16:56

using Unstable on Win 8

https://weather.com/news/trending/video ... es-in-ruin

About 10 seconds in, the audio starts repeating "venues for last summers games lie in ruin" over and over and it repeats indefinitely, long after the video is over. So there appears to be an audio decoder problem here.

I've only seen this problem on their newsroom videos with narration. (Other videos like this don't exhibit the problem.)

Also tested on GChrome and no problems there.

kizo07

Re: weather.com - weird audio loops during video

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-02-25, 17:35

Same on 27.1.1. With disabled MSE for MP4 video works fine.

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-02-25, 18:11

Thanks kizo, that does indeed clear up the problem. But it's just a workaround to disable MSE, which means no more Twitter video and embedded Youtube videos now limited to 360p or 720p.

So it's a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. This is a legit MSE bug that would be nice to have fixed.

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-02-25, 18:33

I'm aware of various MSE + MP4 issues and am looking into them.

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2017-02-25, 18:48

joe04 wrote:of robbing Peter to pay Paul
:) Yeah, agree. It's almost as pulling down window by hand on the old car, instead just to push a button on new/modern one (btw I've been heard that some newest have even voice control for that)

@Travis Thank you for your nice job, as always!

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-02-25, 19:06

trava90 wrote:But it's just a workaround to disable MSE, which means no more Twitter video and embedded Youtube videos now limited to 360p or 720p.

The HTML5 Media Tuner allows to set per/site exceptions for MSE. The linked video played ok for me with MSE for MP4 on globally, when that extension was set to HTML5 (without MSE) for weather.com.

I realize this too is a workaround, but it would certainly help while the issue is being fixed.

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-02-25, 23:16

Thanks coffebreak. I installed JustOff's extension, which is definitely a nicer workaround.
And thanks Travis for looking into it.

coffeebreak
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by coffeebreak » 2017-02-25, 23:39

Belated edit to quote from here which I mis-attributed to trava90. Apologies to joe04 and trava90.
Should be:
joe04 wrote:But it's just a workaround to disable MSE, which means no more Twitter video and embedded Youtube videos now limited to 360p or 720p.

joe04

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-07-12, 20:37

Installed 27.4 today and now these videos are playing fine! (The links in my first post are no longer valid but plenty of others on the site at any time.)

Thanks, @trava90 for your work on improving video.

And, for those searching, ESPN videos have been playing fine for me since 27.3 (whereas they wouldn't even load in 27.1). It's great that PM's video capability is now on par with other browsers.