Watching videos on Vimeo doesn´t work

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
snertev

Re: Watching videos on Vimeo doesn´t work

Unread post by snertev » 2017-03-08, 17:46

Tomaso wrote:Here's another example that might help you to troubleshoot MSE issues in PM27..
Playing Dropbox videos in Pale Moon doesn't work:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wackcyek8nzz ... wx_fin.mp4
Disabling MSE doesn't work either, as this will just give you the download option instead.
The web console on that page says:

Error: Failed to load script (nsresult = 0x805e0006) video-5.10.7.min-vflFYmoc1.js:14:24990

It is interesting that if I use a IE 11 useragent, that same page asks for the Flash plugin.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-10, 09:28

I've been in touch with dropbox, with the following reply after giving them all the details (including the fact that I never implemented the deprecated child-src directrive, and that they use worker-src that is only implemented in Chrome):
Liam, Dropbox tech support wrote:I have been looking into this issue further for you, An have found that with a certain functions of dropbox.com they do not seem to be 100% compatible with firefox.

This is most likely due to the website being re designed at the moment, an the feature at the moment has been overlooked an most likely will be rectified at a later date.

If you want to continue using firefox versus another browser such as chrome, I suggest to continue with the work around you found with disabling csp in the browser.

I will note though I have passed this on to our feedback team who will pass it on.
To solve dropbox issues until they fix it on their end, go into about:config and set security.csp.enable to false.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2017-03-15, 22:23

I ran into a page with Vimeo videos embedded today. They didn't work. So this still appears to be an active problem.

I'm not complaining, I just did a search after running into the issue, found the thread, and am updating the situation (Well, just mentioning that it remains as it was). Sometimes these issues do tend to resolve themselves (Perhaps because a site itself changes how it handles things)- just confirming that to date that has not been the case with Vimeo.

Vimeo confirmed to work with Vivaldi (Webkit or Blink based browser).

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-03-15, 22:58

I haven't forgotten about this guys. I've been spending my time improving and stabilizing our media code a as whole before working on specific issues (such as this one). I will get to it soon though.

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-03-16, 05:07

trava90 wrote:I haven't forgotten about this guys. I've been spending my time improving and stabilizing our media code a as whole before working on specific issues (such as this one). I will get to it soon though.
Thanks for all your hard work. Looking forward to the next release! 8-)
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-03-17, 00:13

trava90 wrote:I haven't forgotten about this guys. I've been spending my time improving and stabilizing our media code a as whole before working on specific issues (such as this one). I will get to it soon though.
Should I make a point of this on the known issues page? If so, what status should it get?

v27.2 will be published soon but likely won't be fixing these issues with Vimeo yet either. Some of their videos play, others do not. It's an annoying issue.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-03-17, 01:48

Moonchild wrote:Should I make a point of this on the known issues page? If so, what status should it get?
Probably be a good idea. I'd give it a status of In Progress, as all the work I've done recently with our new AbstactThreads and TaskDispatcher is leading up to improvements and updates for our MSE code and better implementing it with the new media backend components introduced in 27.1.0 (which is what I believe to be the root of the problem here).

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2017-04-07, 23:49

I am glad, I am not the only one who encountered this problem.
Yes, diabling MSE made this video here: https://vimeo.com/201490313 play, while there was nothing to make it go with MSE enabled. What I usually do when a video doesn't play or performs a permament stop and go (which is usually the case even with small and short clips) is downloading it via Tools-Page Info-Media and watching it from my harddrive. What I found strange in this particular case is that with MSE enabled it was also not recognized as a video file under Tools-Page Info-Media, while as soon as MSE was disabled it showed up there.

nimanima
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by nimanima » 2017-04-08, 00:26

Here is another one though, that doesn't play at all, MSE or no MSE.
All I get is abig black field with nothing in it, and wen I rightclick in that field it tells me something about ZK Player twenty-something. It's also not recognized as video file in the Page Info.
It's not Vimeo, so if you have a collected "video issues" thread feel free to move this there.

http://lovewithcats.com/watch-the-react ... s-her-mama

My ancient Firefox 32 plays it with no problems.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2017-04-08, 13:03

The "love with cats" video with the siamese kitten plays for me using 32 bit Pale Moon 27.2.1 in 64 bit Windows 7 and it also plays for me using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.2.1 in 64 bit linux Mint 18.1 (Serena) Xfce.

All I had to do to get the video to play was disable Adblock Latitude (4.0.1) in both Windows 7 and linux Mint (18.1).
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox