PM hanging after waking up laptop

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

PM hanging after waking up laptop

Unread post by paulri » 2016-12-07, 14:11

I have found since I've installed PM, that after Windows has been asleep for a long time (and often, for only 10-30 mins), that PM is either nonresponsive, or very slow to respond. I can click on each tab I have left open from the night before, and PM will not display the new tab, or will only do so after 5-10 seconds. This keeps up until I give up and restart the browser. Interestingly enough, clicking on the Restart Manager icon in my toolbar will usually IMMEDIATELY restart the browser, even though everything else I click on takes several seconds to do. Also, today, with all my addons disabled, the same non-responsiveness was seen--but I could still click on the red X, and the browser closed immediately.

Anyways, I tried disabling all my addons but AB Latitude, and the same issue was seen. I then disabled all of the addons, and this morning after several hours of sleep, the computer woke up just fine, but PM had the same non-responsiveness.

I am pretty sure that it is related to Windows sleep, because during the day this problem never appears on its own--it is only after Windows goes to sleep.

I saw a link to What is hanging. I did install it and ran it, but there was nothing about PM--only Settings and Calculator. Not sure how to use that program.

Is there anything I can do, apart from creating a new profile? This current profile is only a week old (that's how long I've been using PM), so I doubt it is profile related, but of course anything is possible.

Operating system: Windows 10
Browser version: 27.0.2
32-bit or 64-bit?: 64 bit
Problem URL: n/a
Theme: Australium
Installed add-ons: it happens when all are disabled, but here goes: AB Latitude; Clearly; Cookies Exterminator; Password Exporter, RC Print; Restart Manager, User Agent Switcher, Zoom Toolbar.
Installed plugins: (about:plugins) SumatraPDF Browser Plugin is the only one installed, although this problem surfaced before I installed Sumatra
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: PM hanging after waking up laptop

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-07, 14:35

Thanks for reporting. It seems this is a regression from the platform update as Mozilla's timer thread code for waking up from sleep has an incorrect adjustment algorithm. This was already fixed before in Pale Moon and will have to be re-applied. Issue #756
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by paulri » 2016-12-07, 14:38

OK, well at least I don't have to look for substitutes for my addons, or downgrade my PM version.

OK I'll wait for the next dot release. I can certainly live with this, at least for the short term.
Paul

If you have found a solution to your problem, please click on the check mark icon of the post that answers your question, so as to alert others who have the same problem.

paulri
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by paulri » 2016-12-17, 14:52

Since upgrading to 27.0.3, I have woken this up from sleep 3 times, including an all-nighter (of sleep), and I haven't had this problem re-surface at all, so it looks like whatever you did, worked.
Off-topic:
Good job. And Moonchild, I like your new avatar. It is a bit more inspiring than the drunken wolf you had before. I kept on imagining that drunk wolf working on PM code...... :D
Paul

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-06-07, 06:22

Off-topic:
paulri wrote:.... I like your new avatar. It is a bit more inspiring than the drunken wolf you had before. I kept on imagining that drunk wolf working on PM code...... :D
FWIW, I just have to say it.... and that is that my opinion is diametrically opposite, the drunken wolf is back and it's the very best hands down, nothing else comes close, period - end of story!!! :thumbup: ;)... or could it be this is what I saw when I first discovered Pale Moon and anything else just seemed to me to be wrong somehow, so for me the avatar IS Moonchild!! :lol:
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-07, 13:35

Locking for stale-bumping.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite