Facebook infinite reloading page with image/user posts! Topic is solved

Talk about code development, features, specific bugs, enhancements, patches, and similar things.
Forum rules
Please keep everything here strictly on-topic.
This board is meant for Pale Moon source code development related subjects only like code snippets, patches, specific bugs, git, the repositories, etc.

This is not for tech support! Please do not post tech support questions in the "Development" board!
Please make sure not to use this board for support questions. Please post issues with specific websites, extensions, etc. in the relevant boards for those topics.

Please keep things on-topic as this forum will be used for reference for Pale Moon development. Expect topics that aren't relevant as such to be moved or deleted.
kutykurutty

Re: Facebook infinite reloading page with image/user posts!

Unread post by kutykurutty » 2016-12-27, 19:32

back2themoon wrote: The Trident user agent is the best solution atm. It needs to be applied for fbcdn.net too, otherwise it won't work (fbcdn.com seems irrelevant, you can leave it at the default value).
You mean this one?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0)
It does not work for me. :(

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-12-27, 20:40

kutykurutty wrote:You mean this one? Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) It does not work for me. :(
No, it's this one: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

"Like Gecko" is part of it - apply to facebook.com and fbcdn.net.

kutykurutty

Unread post by kutykurutty » 2016-12-27, 20:58

back2themoon wrote: No, it's this one: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko

"Like Gecko" is part of it - apply to facebook.com and fbcdn.net.
I see, okay and thanks. It "works" if you open the pic in a new tab, else you lose the newsfeed "position". When I try to look at more pictures in an album, the site reloads after every skip once occasionally twice. I can live with that in the short-term if only 3-4 pics are there, but if you have for example a party album with 40+ pics, no way. :think:
I hope there will be a real solution soon. :)

JeremyL

Unread post by JeremyL » 2016-12-27, 21:03

Octopuss wrote:
rabnbeinn wrote:
Octopuss wrote:I don't know if it's related, but few days ago, FB seems to have started to load _something_ in the background all the time, resulting in browser periodically freezing every few seconds even if you just scroll the damn window.
I'm this close to stopping going there. Damn site is pure technical cancer.
(I'm still on PM26 btw)
I had to allow facebook.com in ABL to solve this issue and now FB works fine... not happy about it but hey ho :thumbdown:
Conspiration theory: could that be done on purpose?
I turned off ABL on FB and the constant loading/freezing stopped. I still don't see ads, the FB Purity Greasemonkey script takes care of that.

I'm still getting random infinite reloads. It seems to work fine on a single image, but if it's several it seems to go into infinite reload after the first two or three. I generally load everything into new tabs, so it's not a big deal.. more of a minor annoyance.

GW Seattle

Unread post by GW Seattle » 2016-12-27, 21:18

I figured out why this might not fail for everyone: It depends on the zoom level. At some zoom levels it loops more than others. At smaller zoom levels it is more intermittent. Once when I had the browser session zoomed really small, I noticed the problem had mostly disappeared. The problem with this workaround is that it makes the text very hard to read on a smaller monitor. I can duplicate the above (at will) using any a FB picture that I know to be a problem.

Tar_Ni

Unread post by Tar_Ni » 2016-12-28, 02:09

Moonchild's workaround does alleviate the issue. It now reloads only once for me. It's still annoying but definitly more tolerable than an infinite loop. Still, I think it shows Pale Moon into a bad light for potential new users since Facebook is probably the most popular website on the internet. I understand the issue is not necesserily on PM's end and not much else can be done for now but the fact is that Firefox, Chrome, Edge and IE simply don't have this problem.

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2016-12-28, 14:22

JeremyL wrote:
Octopuss wrote:
rabnbeinn wrote:
Octopuss wrote:I don't know if it's related, but few days ago, FB seems to have started to load _something_ in the background all the time, resulting in browser periodically freezing every few seconds even if you just scroll the damn window.
I'm this close to stopping going there. Damn site is pure technical cancer.
(I'm still on PM26 btw)
I had to allow facebook.com in ABL to solve this issue and now FB works fine... not happy about it but hey ho :thumbdown:
Conspiration theory: could that be done on purpose?
I turned off ABL on FB and the constant loading/freezing stopped. I still don't see ads, the FB Purity Greasemonkey script takes care of that.

I'm still getting random infinite reloads. It seems to work fine on a single image, but if it's several it seems to go into infinite reload after the first two or three. I generally load everything into new tabs, so it's not a big deal.. more of a minor annoyance.
This ABL 'fix' was intended to work with the frequent freezing of Pale Moon on Facebook not the infinite picture loading issue, but if it works for you then great.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-28, 15:12

kutykurutty wrote:Pls. dont misunderstand this. I know it's originally FB's cr@p :thumbdown: (I wish there was an alternative), but there isnt any problem with FF, Chrome, IE whatever. It means PM has something in its code, what doesnt accept FB's disgusting experiments. Is there a log or something, we could forward to the dev team of PM, so they can analyse whats exactly causing this nonsense? :roll:
You have it backwards. It means FB has something in its code that causes a problem; most likely because of their own UA sniffing ending up in an "unknown code path" which causes an unpredictable result. They may be experimenting but it may be just as probable that they simply have made their own js code so complex in the UA sniffing department that nobody knows the result of any change any longer.
You want to see the responsible code? Open up the devtools debugger, and good luck trying to figure that mess out.

I've taken the liberty to send them another report with the animated gif of the problem attached. For what good it will do.
Apparently they just don't care about our combined user numbers (half a million +) to use their service. Maybe it'll change in the future. Maybe they just want everyone to move to Win10 and Edge. I honestly think it's exasperating and I'm about done spending time on their refusal to listen. Obviously my status as dev doesn't matter. I guess only quantity matters. I suggest therefore if this hits you, you complain to FB immediately. And complain again every time it re-occurs.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

JodyThornton

Unread post by JodyThornton » 2016-12-28, 16:46

Tar_Ni wrote:Moonchild's workaround does alleviate the issue. It now reloads only once for me. It's still annoying but definitly more tolerable than an infinite loop. Still, I think it shows Pale Moon into a bad light for potential new users since Facebook is probably the most popular website on the internet. I understand the issue is not necesserily on PM's end and not much else can be done for now but the fact is that Firefox, Chrome, Edge and IE simply don't have this problem.
Yes I just moved a friend to Pale Moon and it work great EXCEPT this issue. And he uses Facebook ALL THE TIME. In an simplified manner, is it because Pale Moon has a lot of pre-Australis code in it? For example I wonder if K-Meleon or SeaMonkey suffer the same issue. But since Opera/Chrome/Firefox all work with Facebook, it makes a bad bad impression for Pale Moon.

And if I tell my friend to try and understand about small development or agent sniffing, he'll tell me that he indeed thinks I'm sniffing something.

kutykurutty

Unread post by kutykurutty » 2016-12-28, 17:35

Moonchild wrote: ...
You want to see the responsible code? Open up the devtools debugger, and good luck trying to figure that mess out.
I see what you mean. Sure FB is mainly responsible, I think I made it clear. But non of the other browsers are affected. Why? Obviously, something is different in PM, I got it. Solution? I don't know, I was hoping that you and dev staff do.
You can say, you can't/don't care (I'm not familiar with this js nonsense, can't contribute to the issue, can't evaluate how difficult this is), but like someone else has wrote a couple of posts above, new PM users will give a s..., and won't change to PM.
So we are stranded. :(

Anyway, keep up the good work, and pls. don't give up to find something, what's working.

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2016-12-28, 18:02

I not use FB so much as before, but on my profile I haven't any issues at all (27.03 on win x64). But, sometimes when I wish to check others users issues, I got some 'glitches' too. It's known that FB have a 'maaany balls in the air', especially last couple months...as introducing/experimenting with new functions, different/reverse 'blocking', fighting against rumors/fabricated news and different censorship (both, against some countries and in cooperation with some countries...fe France?!). Also, FB is closely to have a 'deal' with China to get open China market for 'special, censor edition' of FB.
With all that and with over 1.2 bil. active users, I'm a bit surprised that FB works at all.

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2016-12-28, 21:17

JodyThornton wrote:
Tar_Ni wrote:Moonchild's workaround does alleviate the issue. It now reloads only once for me. It's still annoying but definitly more tolerable than an infinite loop. Still, I think it shows Pale Moon into a bad light for potential new users since Facebook is probably the most popular website on the internet. I understand the issue is not necesserily on PM's end and not much else can be done for now but the fact is that Firefox, Chrome, Edge and IE simply don't have this problem.
Yes I just moved a friend to Pale Moon and it work great EXCEPT this issue. And he uses Facebook ALL THE TIME. In an simplified manner, is it because Pale Moon has a lot of pre-Australis code in it? For example I wonder if K-Meleon or SeaMonkey suffer the same issue. But since Opera/Chrome/Firefox all work with Facebook, it makes a bad bad impression for Pale Moon.

And if I tell my friend to try and understand about small development or agent sniffing, he'll tell me that he indeed thinks I'm sniffing something.
I find it odd that facebook worked perfectly fine in previous versions of palemoon,but it does not give palemoon a bad impression at all as it seems facebook primarily targets high usage share browsers so a larger audience naturally gets a prime time pantomime.Money talks and google is a very chatty monster with a humungous hunger for ownership and dictatorial powers and freedom of choice is but a whimpering victim of totalitarianism.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2016-12-28, 22:52

Just chiming in to report that I also have this issue. It was intermittent for a while but recently became 100%, every single time I click on any image in the news feed. It used to be okay if I just opened in a new tab instead, but now even that doesn't work.

I reported it to FB and immediately got a notification to fill out more info. There were some multiple choice answers and additional space for more info. This is what I wrote in my original submission:
I'm experiencing the infinite reload loop with photos. Any time I click on a photo or picture, it "pops up", then the photo disappears, and it "throws" me to the page that's "behind" the image. For example, if it's a friend's photo, it throws me to the friend's profile. If it's a photo posted by a "page" profile (something you can follow but not actually a personal account), it throws me to that page. Then the image pops up and loads again. Then it disappears and I'm back at the page view... and so on to infinity.
I then added that I'm using PM in the second form. I then received a canned email also.

Anyway, what are the 2 workarounds, again? I'm getting lost in 9 pages of posts. Apparently there's the "trident" one, and also the one that Moonchild gave?

One of them is:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Trident/7.0; rv:11.0) like Gecko
Right? How do I apply it, again? Sorry, it's been a while since I messed with the useragent override stuff. (I still don't know what that means -- not a web developer here.)

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2016-12-28, 23:05

fr0zensphere wrote:Right? How do I apply it, again? Sorry, it's been a while since I messed with the useragent override stuff. (I still don't know what that means -- not a web developer here.)
Copy that string somewhere to have handy (Notepad for example). Type about:config in the address bar. In Search, type override. Locate general.useragent.override.facebook.com and double-click it. In the pop-up window, replace that value with your copied string you want to apply. Do the same with general.useragent.override.fbcdn.com.

You also need to create a new string for fbcdn.net that's probably not there. Right-click anywhere in the about:config page, New/String. In the first pop-up window enter general.useragent.override.fbcdn.net and in the second paste your previously copied value. Refresh the FB tabs or restart Pale Moon.

Tar_Ni

Unread post by Tar_Ni » 2016-12-28, 23:39

Moonraker wrote: I find it odd that facebook worked perfectly fine in previous versions of palemoon,but it does not give palemoon a bad impression at all as it seems facebook primarily targets high usage share browsers so a larger audience naturally gets a prime time pantomime.Money talks and google is a very chatty monster with a humungous hunger for ownership and dictatorial powers and freedom of choice is but a whimpering victim of totalitarianism.
All I'm saying is that it becomes hard to sell Pale Moon to a friend or family member when you have an issue like this. If this was happening on a random, obscure website I wouldn't give a sh** but this is Facebook, just about the most popular site and one of the main reason a lot of people use the internet for. I want to present Pale Moon as an improvement over the mainstream corporate browsers, but unless you are a die-hard PM fan and sold to this project, I just cant see a lot of new users willing to cope with an issue like this on the long-term. That's the reality.

half-moon

Unread post by half-moon » 2016-12-29, 00:22

Tar_Ni wrote:
Moonraker wrote: I find it odd that facebook worked perfectly fine in previous versions of palemoon,but it does not give palemoon a bad impression at all as it seems facebook primarily targets high usage share browsers so a larger audience naturally gets a prime time pantomime.Money talks and google is a very chatty monster with a humungous hunger for ownership and dictatorial powers and freedom of choice is but a whimpering victim of totalitarianism.
All I'm saying is that it becomes hard to sell Pale Moon to a friend or family member when you have an issue like this. If this was happening on a random, obscure website I wouldn't give a sh** but this is Facebook, just about the most popular site and one of the main reason a lot of people use the internet for. I want to present Pale Moon as an improvement over the mainstream corporate browsers, but unless you are a die-hard PM fan and sold to this project, I just cant see a lot of new users willing to cope with an issue like this on the long-term. That's the reality.
The reality is, PM is not to blame for these issues. Also, not everybody experiences this issue.

fr0zensphere

Unread post by fr0zensphere » 2016-12-29, 01:39

half-moon wrote:
Tar_Ni wrote:
The reality is, PM is not to blame for these issues. Also, not everybody experiences this issue.
Fact #1:
Users of PM are having this issue.

Fact #2:
Users of other (mainstream) browsers do not have this issue. For instance, I do not experience it in Firefox.

The consumer will follow the path of least resistance or most convenience. Whatever the reason behind it or which party is to blame, most people's response will be: "Who cares?" Simply double clicking another browser makes the problem go away and we can move on with our lives, end of story.

There is no point being hard-headed and denying it. Problems like this will prevent PM from becoming more widely adopted, even if you think it's unfair.

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2016-12-29, 02:21

fr0zensphere wrote:not everybody experiences this issue
I can confirm!

Probable, cause of Pale Moon's 'nature', it catch more things in FB's jungle of 'scripts, filters, blockers and all those 'crossover, spider net of *#"*<!!%¤', than all other 'regular' browsers.
In my environment, with my configuration, PM + FB works flawlessly. Nada Problemos! (27.03. on Win x64)
...even if somebody think it's unfair, it's reality for me!

Sobell

Unread post by Sobell » 2016-12-29, 10:37

This has been happening on all my computers for about a week or so (Vista, Win 7, Win 10 laptop). I have PM, FF and IE on all three. I use an older version of FF because I don't like how the newer versions won't let me designate my home page to open in new tabs. I HATE Internet Explorer, but it is the only one that doesn't have the FB endless loop problem. I love PM but the problem happens in PM, too.

I don't understand people who say the endless loop doesn't happen if you're not logged in to FB. I can't even SEE FB if I'm not logged in....

kizo07

Unread post by kizo07 » 2016-12-29, 12:40

As my high school teacher said ...'If you haven't something nice to tell about somebody/something, is THE BEST to say nothing at all. If you can't understand somebody/something, please TRY anyway, use POSITIVE words and affirmations. In that case, your mind, thoughts and environment gonna be free from all kinds of ' viruses and malware'.

I don't have ff here, ie disabled as default, but still...I can see very clearly, both little and big pictures on fb.