BUG: Drop-down menu does not work only on Pale Moon

The place to report Pale Moon specific bugs on the Windows operating system.
Democritus

BUG: Drop-down menu does not work only on Pale Moon

Post by Democritus » 2020-10-17, 14:12

I've made and uploaded an example to demonstrate the issue.
It took me some time to isolate and simplify the code from a complex project.

The drop down menu works on Firefox, Opera, Chrome, etc.
Only on Pale Moon it doesn't work.

Expected behavior:

Actual behavior:
https://jsfiddle.net/Debanker/jhapv31n/1/

vannilla
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: BUG: Drop-down menu does not work only on Pale Moon

Post by vannilla » 2020-10-17, 15:21

To begin with, do not use "button" as a container. A button is a button, anything inside is a label of the button. If you need a container use "div".
For the rest, it's because the hovering is registered only on the "button" itself, so moving down to the dropdown is considered as being outside the button.
See if placing everything inside a bigger container works.

Democritus

Post by Democritus » 2020-10-17, 23:22

Yeah, well, in the world of HTML insanity, where align-items:center means "align-vertically" and justify-content:center means "align-horizontally", while it's common to use a-tag or p-tag as a button, using "button" as a container isn't more insane than that, especially when "button" actually behaves less insane and more expected than div, which was the reason I used it some time ago.

Anyway, your response made me look at it again, and I finally managed to make div work using flex and the above disturbed properties, otherwise I couldn't make the menu header align vertically.
Still, if I make any horizontal size changes, everything falls apart (this is when rocket-science seems a far better choice).

Thanks for the help.

vannilla
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Post by vannilla » 2020-10-18, 01:22

To be fair, I managed to align the elements in the dropdown using width and padding, but I don't know how solid it is.
It looked like the example gif, at least.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Post by Moonchild » 2020-10-18, 07:50

Democritus wrote:
2020-10-17, 23:22
using "button" as a container isn't more insane than that
But the difference is that while some things may be less-than-logically names in the CSS world, the definition of a button element is long-since established.
A button is a button and acts like a button. Anything you place inside it is display-only content, by definition and by spec. it's NOT a generic container and Chrome's treating it as such is just crap programming.
"There will be times when the position you advocate, no matter how well framed and supported, will not be accepted by the public simply because you are who you are." -- Merrill Rose