HomeDepot.com redisign has broken functionality on all versions of PM (even Blood Moon)

The place to report Pale Moon specific bugs on the Windows operating system.

Moderator: satrow

__NM64__
Fanatic
Fanatic

HomeDepot.com redisign has broken functionality on all versions of PM (even Blood Moon)

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2019-07-11, 01:22

Take a look at the following webpage:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Phifer-72-i ... /100627118

At first glance, everything seems fine, until you try and click the big image of the product in question or click on one of images on the left side.
On even the newest version of Blood Moon (as of this post) as well as only slightly older versions of Firefox like version 65 (which isn't even 6 months old), nothing will happen. This behavior (or lack there of) also occurs in the newest previous version of Firefox ESR as well.

However, in something like Firefox version 66 and newer, clicking said image will instead result in a JavaScript window appearing that contains an enlarged image of the one you clicked, or of an according video.

(my personal pet theory is that a web designer somewhere may have been a bit too eager to implement a new and shiny function without fully waiting for the paint on said function to dry)
Last edited by __NM64__ on 2019-07-11, 01:45, edited 2 times in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: HomeDepot.com redisign has broken functionality on all versions of PM (even Blood Moon)

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-11, 01:36

The "only tested in Chrome" effect.
City of Heroes public server: https://www.moonshard.org/ -- Vote for it on cohservers.com

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

__NM64__
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: HomeDepot.com redisign has broken functionality on all versions of PM (even Blood Moon)

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2019-07-11, 01:39

Oh, I didn't look in the "General Support" forum because I thought that would have been the wrong forum for such a thing.

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-11, 01:36
The "only tested in Chrome" effect.
This is why I mentioned that it doesn't even work in Firefox 65 let alone Firefox ESR (EDIT: albeit the previous ESR version). I may not have any coding ability, but to me that still seems like way too recent of versions for the web designer to have completely ignored, and that's without considering the likes of IE and Edge...
Last edited by __NM64__ on 2019-07-11, 01:46, edited 1 time in total.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-07-11, 01:42

FF ESR just switched to 68.0esr, & it should be working in there (though I have not tested).

__NM64__
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by __NM64__ » 2019-07-11, 01:44

therube wrote:
2019-07-11, 01:42
FF ESR just switched to 68.0esr, & it should be working in there (though I have not tested).
I didn't realize that - I tested with FF ESR 60 since that's still the newest version posted on PortableApps (which is what I used to easily test various versions of Firefox in order to determine the newest version that the issue still existed in).

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-11, 02:15

If HomeDepot doesn't want my patronage, they should most definitely continue to use bleeding edge "features" that demand you to pretty much use the latest version of one browser.
City of Heroes public server: https://www.moonshard.org/ -- Vote for it on cohservers.com

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2019-07-11, 04:54

Off-topic:
therube wrote:
2019-07-11, 01:42
FF ESR just switched to 68.0esr,
60.8 ESR is the current release, though 68 has also been made available as an option for testing.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-07-11, 05:30

(Yes, they'll run in parallel for another .dot release or so.)

Tharthan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Tharthan » 2019-07-11, 06:21

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-11, 02:15
If HomeDepot doesn't want my patronage, they should most definitely continue to use bleeding edge "features" that demand you to pretty much use the latest version of one browser.
Where have all of the webmasters gone?

Gone to dustbins, every one.

...at least so it seems. Companies that would have had fairly competent webmasters in the past appear to have ditched them. But that couldn't have actually happened, right?

So what is actually going on here?

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2019-07-11, 12:34

We are at a point in time where Google rules - everything.
Google even defines the rules.

So what anyone else does, be it (that laughingstock) Mozilla, or Microsoft (who will be using Chrome, as "Edge"), or Pale Moon, or... is immaterial.

Web designers, now, need only look, & only look, no further then Google Chrome.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-11, 12:39

Tharthan wrote:
2019-07-11, 06:21
Greed.
  • Having an in-house dedicated webmaster is more expensive than outsourcing. Further "optimizing internal expenses": Having one of your techies "do it as a side" generally doesn't provide the kind of situation that the various rigid "agile development" methodologies require.
  • Outsourced work is generally bought as cheaply as possible. The outsourced workers will want to do minimal work for their money because they, too, are greedy and want to maximize margins.
  • This results in the use of (often not very flexible) frameworks and/or code that has only been tested on the one browser with the largest market share.
As a side note: not using any frameworks and using plain JS/ES5 results in websites that are literally dozens of times faster than their framework counterparts.

[TMac]
Moongazer
Moongazer

Unread post by [TMac] » 2019-07-12, 02:59

Moonchild wrote:
2019-07-11, 12:39
  • This results in the use of (often not very flexible) frameworks and/or code that has only been tested on the one browser with the largest market share.
As a side note: not using any frameworks and using plain JS/ES5 results in websites that are literally dozens of times faster than their framework counterparts.
In fairness, using frameworks, especially convention-based ones such as Ember, is the fastest way to get a stylist and responsive data-driven web site up. Writing JS/ES5 in comparison is like telling someone to use assembly instead of C#+.NET to write a word processor.
It's not an outsourcing issue, but primarily one that they don't know their stuff doesn't work, and don't have a feedback mechanism for it.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2019-07-12, 11:33

Oh I understand all too well that you can't ask companies to write framework-level code from scratch, that'd be madness. But if you actually make website design with accessibility in mind then you don't NEED 5MB of Javascript code for your presentation. Responsive design is also simple to make with straightforward CSS; it's designed for that purpose.

But what it does boil down to (and there we clearly disagree) is that it is most definitely a problem with outsourcing. Outsourcing companies are often top-heavy and don't actually have the tech knowledge in-house to understand that some things don't work or shouldn't be used for web compatibility reasons. They are very good at selling presentations, but often less knowledgeable about the underpinnings. A lot of it is also copy-pasta from templates with minimal changes.
The big sticking point is that framework writers in general are extremely reluctant to write accessible code, for some reason want to constantly rewrite their stuff with the latest drafts (read: Chrome features) just because it's newer, and will just use the argument that only the current and current-1 version of three major browsers are supported. (Thank you JQuery for starting that trend)