website freezes in PM Topic is solved

The place to report Pale Moon specific bugs on the Windows operating system.

Moderator: satrow

User avatar
Avari
Moongazer
Moongazer
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 11:43

website freezes in PM

Postby Avari » Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 18:05

this website (a well known page in germany):

http://www.der-postillon.com/

is crashing/freezing with PaleMoon on my windows- and my linux computer. No problems with Firefox and IE.

can anyone confirm this ?
Arch Linux + i3-wm; Windows 8.1
echo LANG=de_DE.UTF8 > /etc/locale.conf
echo KEYMAP=de-latin1-nodeadkeys > /etc/vconsole.conf
ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin /etc/localtime
vim /etc/locale.gen ## uncomment your language
locale-gen
"if something goes wrong at the plant, blame the guy who can't speak english" -Homer Simpson

User avatar
adesh
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue, 06 Jun 2017, 07:38

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby adesh » Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 18:38

Yes, it freezes like hell. With CPU at 100% and Pale Moon totally unresponsive, I was not even able to see what the site offers. I stared at the white page for a few minutes and then closed it.
PM 27.4.1 / Linux (32-bit)
Last edited by adesh on Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.

dark_moon

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby dark_moon » Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 18:41

Loads fine here with Windows7 x64 with PM x64 in ~1 second without freeze or lag

User avatar
badnick
Fanatic
Fanatic
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu, 23 Mar 2017, 19:56

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby badnick » Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 19:27

works for me -windows 10/64 -PM 27.4.1

User avatar
Tomaso
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 717
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2015, 16:09
Location: Norway

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby Tomaso » Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 20:30

No problem here either.
(Pale Moon v27.4.1,x64 / Win8.1Pro)

User avatar
TwoTankAmin
Astronaut
Astronaut
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2014, 13:56
Location: New York

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby TwoTankAmin » Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 21:05

Worked fine for me as well: Win 7 Home Prem. 64 bit. P M 27.4 portable using Native mode. Default theme. Java Plug-in. Self-Destructing Cookies, AdBlockLatitiude, Better Privacy and Ghostery as extensions. No major changes to the P M default settings in about:config.

I also checked with my HD version of P M 27.4. And your site worked with that as well. The HD version runs similar to the above portable version but with about 20 custom changes to settings in about:config. There is only one site that objects to those settings and for that site I must use the portable version.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

User avatar
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru
Posts: 20517
Joined: Sun, 28 Aug 2011, 17:27
Location: 58.5°N 15.5°E
Contact:

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby Moonchild » Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 21:10

Considering only the first reply could reproduce and nobody else afterwards, it's likely been an oops on the side of the webmasters with their site scripting.
(works fine for me as well, by the way)
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

User avatar
Avari
Moongazer
Moongazer
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 11:43

Re: website freezes in PM  Topic is solved

Postby Avari » Fri, 11 Aug 2017, 21:40

sorry, i was not smart enough to run safe mode before posting here.

Site is loading normally with deactivated addons.
It was Noscript (5.0.6) that let it freeze. Page is on the NS whitelist now. And everything runs smooth.
Arch Linux + i3-wm; Windows 8.1
echo LANG=de_DE.UTF8 > /etc/locale.conf
echo KEYMAP=de-latin1-nodeadkeys > /etc/vconsole.conf
ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Berlin /etc/localtime
vim /etc/locale.gen ## uncomment your language
locale-gen
"if something goes wrong at the plant, blame the guy who can't speak english" -Homer Simpson

dark_moon

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby dark_moon » Sat, 12 Aug 2017, 05:57

Avari wrote:It was Noscript (5.0.6) that let it freeze. Page is on the NS whitelist now. And everything runs smooth.

I use NoScript (5.0.8.1) too but in "allow all javascript" mode because i use uMatrix for control everything. Maybe you should do that too

User avatar
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 760
Joined: Sun, 15 May 2016, 05:00
Location: bitterly cold upstate NY
Contact:

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby gracious1 » Sat, 12 Aug 2017, 18:02

Moonchild wrote:Considering only the first reply could reproduce and nobody else afterwards, it's likely been an oops on the side of the webmasters with their site scripting.
(works fine for me as well, by the way)


I just tried it, and I had to drop to terminal and enter killall palemoon. Both adesh and I use Linux; the ones who reported no problems use Windows. I have NoScript running, but it still overwhelmed my system.
Image All you need is love... and Pale Moon!

User avatar
Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side
Posts: 3057
Joined: Mon, 03 Oct 2011, 10:19
Location: Texas, USA

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby Night Wing » Sat, 12 Aug 2017, 18:12

gracious1 wrote:I just tried it, and I had to drop to terminal and enter killall palemoon. Both adesh and I use Linux; the ones who reported no problems use Windows. I have NoScript running, but it still overwhelmed my system.


I clicked on the link in the OP's first post.

http://www.der-postillon.com/

No freezing whatsoever. No lagging either. All the buttons I clicked on sent me to a different page.

I'm using 64 bit linux Pale Moon 27.4.1 running in 64 bit linux Mint 18.2 (Sonya) Xfce. The only extensions I have installed in linux Pale Moon are:

1) Adblock Latitude 4.0.1
2) NoSquint 2.1.9.1-signed.1-signed
Linux Mint 18.3 (Sylvia) Xfce 64-Bit (Default OS) with 64-Bit linux Pale Moon
Windows 7 SP1 64 Bit (Backup OS) with 32-Bit windows Pale Moon

User avatar
adesh
Lunatic
Lunatic
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue, 06 Jun 2017, 07:38

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby adesh » Sat, 12 Aug 2017, 20:27

As OP says, NoScript indeed is the issue here. Even "allowing scripts globally" does not help, the extension must be completely disabled; that may be because NoScript does much more than blocking the scripts.
This is the first time I'm seeing NoScript causing trouble. Either there is some bug in NoScript or that site is doing somethig nasty.
I'm using 5.0.6 version of the extension.

dark_moon

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby dark_moon » Sat, 12 Aug 2017, 21:19

Update to latest NoScript version then.
I dont get trouble with NoScript

User avatar
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 760
Joined: Sun, 15 May 2016, 05:00
Location: bitterly cold upstate NY
Contact:

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby gracious1 » Sun, 13 Aug 2017, 06:49

adesh wrote:As OP says, NoScript indeed is the issue here. Even "allowing scripts globally" does not help, the extension must be completely disabled; that may be because NoScript does much more than blocking the scripts.
This is the first time I'm seeing NoScript causing trouble. Either there is some bug in NoScript or that site is doing somethig nasty.
I'm using 5.0.6 version of the extension.
dark_moon wrote:Update to latest NoScript version then. I dont get trouble …


Okay, I upgraded to 5.0.8.1, and I was able to load the site perfectly well. Yay. :)

However, upgrading NoScript was a pain. Strangely, using the Add-ons Manager to upgrade NoScript did not work. For some reason, it could not "see" the latest version, even when I performed a manual "Check for Updates". So I didn't even know that my PM had an older version. Did this fail only in Linux versions of PM? Is this a bug?

(As a workaround, I went to the NoScript home page and clicked on the green "Install" button.)
Image All you need is love... and Pale Moon!

coffeebreak
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back
Posts: 995
Joined: Sat, 26 Sep 2015, 04:51
Location: U.S.

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby coffeebreak » Sun, 13 Aug 2017, 09:22

Off-topic:
gracious1 wrote:...upgrading NoScript was a pain. Strangely, using the Add-ons Manager to upgrade NoScript did not work. For some reason, it could not "see" the latest version, even when I performed a manual "Check for Updates".

PM gets NoScript updates from APMO now, and latest version there is currently 5.0.6. (See here and here.)

dark_moon

Re: website freezes in PM

Postby dark_moon » Sun, 13 Aug 2017, 10:13

coffeebreak wrote:
Off-topic:
gracious1 wrote:...upgrading NoScript was a pain. Strangely, using the Add-ons Manager to upgrade NoScript did not work. For some reason, it could not "see" the latest version, even when I performed a manual "Check for Updates".

PM gets NoScript updates from APMO now, and latest version there is currently 5.0.6. (See here and here.)

The problem is: Giorgio, the NoScript dev have access to push to the PM server but it looks he doesnt care.
So just go to noscript.net and install the latest version. I use the rss feed to get updates about new versions


Return to “Bug reports (Windows)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests