save memory LowQ image render/grayscale/aliased fonts save

Support topics for the "Legacy" version of Pale Moon (3.5.x/3.6.x)
travolter

save memory LowQ image render/grayscale/aliased fonts save

Unread post by travolter » 2012-09-25, 12:39

Hi
I use palemoon 3.6 in a netbook machine with 1GB ram. I cannt upgrade or buy new hardware.

Im blocking flash, javascript, etc.. to save memory and allow to open more tabs.

It possible to render images at lower quality, store in memory as gray scale or with lower quality.. use aliased fonts etc to save memory?

I really want to sacrifice "visuals" and image quality for memory.

Exist any addon that downgrade quality already? Any FF version with that feature? any about:config settiong?

Best regards and thanks for the replies and support :)

Blacklab
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: save memory LowQ image render/grayscale/aliased fonts s

Unread post by Blacklab » 2012-09-25, 18:26

Several Pale Moon users, myself included, are happily running PM 15.1.1 on various different Netbooks with only 1GB RAM so perhaps you should not write off upgrading so definitely - see this rather unfortunately named topic "Downgraded back to 12.3" http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php ... 2&start=10 for some ideas and links to some other topics. In the last post on that topic Moonchild makes the following comment:
[color=#0000FF][b]Moonchild[/b][/color] wrote:For reference, I have Pale Moon 15.0 installed on my netbook, an N450, 1.6 GHz, with 1 GB ram, on Windows XP Pro SP3, and it is happily purring along with no real issues to report in terms of performance, and using about 180MB with 7 tabs open (2 of which rather heavy art sites).
PS. Please supply (edit your first post?) some more information on your Netbook's hardware, OS, etc.... see Moonchild's Notice: "Information to include when asking for support" http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49 at top of this Community support board. :)
Last edited by Blacklab on 2012-09-25, 18:38, edited 1 time in total.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-25, 18:33

I don't think there is an option, either in-browser or through an add-on, to "lower graphics quality".
Most of the memory used isn't actually in the display of pages, but rather in processing the back-end to render them, with a decent chunk taken up by javascript and (more so) in-page graphics.
If you tell Pale Moon to not load images automatically (Tools -> Options -> Content) that will cut down on memory use significantly, but will obviously not make browsing look very nice (or easy to navigate, depending on the site you are visiting).

As BlackLab stated, try version 15. If you are extremely low on free RAM and can't upgrade the memory, disable hardware acceleration in v15, as that will take extra memory to use (and performance will be similar to 3.6.x because that doesn't have acceleration).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

travolter

Unread post by travolter » 2012-09-25, 22:24

ok thanks for the info guys. My machine is an acer aspire one a150. I never tested PM15 .. I always though 3.6 would be more light. Maybe Ill have to give it a try.. anyway the low quality image option would be a good compromise between navigate with or without images.

What about render image to 8bits colors? enough to see something in the scree and with less memory usage.
Also good retro look ;)

travolter

Unread post by travolter » 2012-09-26, 16:14

Hi again guys..

I tested palemoon 15(with and without hardware accel) vs 3.6

3.6 wins in performance and resources saving.

The CPU usage is lower (noticeable.. not just few units in the cpu usage monitor). and the memory usage sometimes is half in 3.6 compared to 15. (Im aware that 3.6 uses plugin container.. Im reporting total memory usage).(I was loading same pages and same flash videos to compare)

If this 3.6.32 is the last version Ill conserve it like gold. I really appreciate software optimized for better resources usage than poorly optimized software that only rely in brute force.
The solution that many coders give for crappy programs is: "buy a new hardware".. others try to optimize code as you do with PL 3.6 ;)
Thanks a lot for the good job.
Best regards

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-09-26, 21:45

... You have to realize that there are a few factors at play here:
  • It is not "brute force" at play here, but rather the need for more resources to perform more advanced functions (HTML5, advanced CSS, WebGL, hardware accelerated graphics, to name a few)
  • Pale Moon 3.6.32 will not be able to render pages correctly anymore that use current coding standards, and you will have issues using an increasing number of websites.
  • Performance of Pale Moon 15 is significantly better than pale Moon 3.6 -- unless your system is indeed so low on resources that it will start to swap to disk. But that situation is not a problem with the browser, all things considered.
  • PCs from the last decade or so have enough memory and other resources to run Pale Moon 15 comfortably.
  • I agree that "buy new hardware" is often used as an easy excuse to push inefficient software, but in that case you are normally looking at hardware that is, by all means, not seriously outdated yet.
  • Pale Moon may simply not be a good choice for you since it does not necessarily aim to be a lightweight browser. It aims to be efficient; efficiency regularly means using more resources to do things in an optimal way.
  • If you are looking at memory use including the plugin container, then you are also looking at what Flash is using, and Flash can be a real memory hog (and that is out of my hands entirely).
If your computer is of such an age that the currently maintained version of Pale Moon doesn't run properly on it, then you are better off finding a lightweight, maintained browser instead of running an unmaintained and outdated Pale Moon version. Trying to "force the issue" on Pale Moon will have you take security risks when browsing, if nothing else. Pale Moon 2.0.0.20 (the only 2.x one published) is even lighter on resources, but has even more severe issues.

The world moves forward; buying new hardware on occasion is part of progress. If you don't have a budget for a current PC, get a second-hand one at a bargain price.

That being said, the specs of the computer listed:
Processor Intel Atom N270 / 1.6 GHz
Memory 1.0 GB ( 512.0 MB soldered) / 1.5 GB (max)
Hard Drive 120.0 GB

Should definitely suffice for running Pale Moon 15 comfortably. Since you are dealing with an Intel GMA in that machine, you DO want to disable hardware acceleration if you run v15. This will also reduce memory use. Another thing you want to disable most likely is smooth scrolling - it is relatively expensive in terms of CPU and your netbook will simply not be well-suited enough to use it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Ryrynz

Unread post by Ryrynz » 2012-09-27, 09:26

Unless there's no option to upgrade beyond 1GB there's no reason to be running only 1GB of RAM, a 2GB stick can be found for probably $10 US and makes a big difference.

travolter

Unread post by travolter » 2012-10-07, 14:20

Hi again guys!

When using palemoon "legacy" i can kill the plugin container to remove all the flash stuff loaded into memory. Really helps a lot.

I can do the same to remove all the images that are stored into memory? Because I load pages and when I close tabs the memory continue being used.. I really dont need nothing saved in memory.. I dont need reload closed tabs feature.. so dont needed to have that data conserved into memory

@I know that upgrading memory is the easier solution .. but I cannt upgrade this computer. :(

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-07, 17:03

travolter wrote:I know that upgrading memory is the easier solution .. but I cannt upgrade this computer.
It's not needed. The specs you have should be fine to run Pale Moon 15, as I already said.
travolter wrote:I can do the same to remove all the images that are stored into memory? Because I load pages and when I close tabs the memory continue being used.. I really dont need nothing saved in memory.. I dont need reload closed tabs feature.. so dont needed to have that data conserved into memory
You can disable memory caching by setting browser.cache.memory.enable to false
You can set browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo and browser.sessionstore.max_windows_undo to 0
Disable fast back/forward cache by setting browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers to 0

travolter

Unread post by travolter » 2012-10-07, 20:08

thanks for the help ;) Ill test these config settings and check if things goes better.
Palemoon 3.6 is more light than 15 /(at least in my machine).. so ill continue using this legacy version

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-10-07, 20:35

travolter wrote:Palemoon 3.6 is more light than 15 /(at least in my machine).. so ill continue using this legacy version
Maybe you missed my explanation before: Pale Moon 15 will always be heavier than the Legacy version, because it has more features and wider support for modern HTML.

Running the legacy version is probably OK for a little while longer, but you'll be taking an ever greater risk as time passes because it's no longer maintained. Both security-wise and in terms of usability.

travolter

Unread post by travolter » 2012-10-08, 21:03

Moonchild!!!! really big thanks pal!!! you saved me!!!

I just added these settings that you pointed to me:

browser.sessionstore.max_tabs_undo and browser.sessionstore.max_windows_undo to 0
Disable fast back/forward cache by setting browser.sessionhistory.max_total_viewers to 0

And the memory recover perfectly after close tabs!! ;)
REally big thanks again cause Im was looking for this behavior in FF/PL since early stages. This is fresh air when using internet with my limited machine.
(Economics dont allow me to buy new hardware.. so I always need to downgrade and check howo to do same tasks with less resources)

I conserve the memory caching enabled cause I feel computer performs better but I have to do more tests.

Thanks again for the help and support ;) and thanks share freely the legacy PL version ;)