The Australis mega-thread

General discussion and chat (archived)
Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: The Australis mega-thread

Unread post by Sajadi » 2015-01-20, 22:20

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mozilla.addons.user-experience/qIgLq28aTdI/IyD2p_CFAEUJ

Next attempt of Mozilla crippling the browser, now they want to limit add-on installation as it seems... bah! :thumbdown:

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-01-21, 00:40

Wow...

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-01-21, 02:08

I clicked on that link and the info in there is too technical for me to understand/comprehend since it seems to be geared towards add-on developers building their add-ons for Firefox and not actual run of the mill users like myself who install an add-on we like.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-01-21, 05:44

tl;dr Mozilla wants to make it so add-ons MUST be digitally signed to install in Firefox. In addition, it seems they want to force those not using AMO as their dist method to have to pay money to be allowed to have their add-ons install on Firefox.

What does this mean for us?? Dunno, yet. But this means I must keep working on add-ons site related stuff. Because, I seriously don't trust Mozilla right now.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-01-21, 13:05

Matt A Tobin wrote:In addition, it seems they want to force those not using AMO as their dist method to have to pay money to be allowed to have their add-ons install on Firefox.
I'm not familiar with how Google Chrome works with regards to add-on developers, but if Google doesn't charge add-on developers money to have their add-ons install on Chrome, then this new tentative policy change by Mozilla (a money fee) would logically drive add-on developers "away" from Firefox.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-21, 14:06

Developers can use AMO free of charge. It's just a way for them to have control over exactly what is allowed to be installed and what gets approved for Firefox.
It's another step away from "Keeping the web open and accessible to all" which has been their latest PR campaign slogan.

I do see where they probably come from with this:
  • Restricting installations means they can probably stop/reduce maintaining the blocklist, reducing the amount of "maintenance cost" they have for this.
  • Restricting installations to AMO gives them exclusive control over which extensions to support. In turn it gives them control over which target applications to support (being able to strengthen their position with Firefox at the cost of other Mozilla-based browsers). It's unlikely that new extensions not supporting their official MozCo products will be permitted.
  • Charging a fee for non-AMO redistribution is probably taken from the thought that "rogue add-on developers won't pay such a fee". But there's a lot of money to be made in malware, so this won't hold up in practice.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-01-21, 15:15

"Long life to the open web" they said while working to kill it...

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2015-02-18, 22:41

Well everyone, I decided to do an experiment. The goal was to de-Australify Firefox as much as possible, use it a few weeks, and truly put this new interface to the test. I used Classic Theme Restorer and some other mods, adjusted my setup in a similar fashion to my PM config. Result can be viewed via screenshot below.
Although I was able to customize it to an exceptionally well extent, there are some qualities missing. Using the ESR channel, I've been doing happily stable. But theming is a big issue. The amount of broken skins, CTR interferences are well shown. RAM usage also skyrockets up some using GUI extensions. The fact an extension must be used just to reinstate customization being another.
FF as a whole really lacks class. But same time, I'd say this is a great looking setup :D
Attachments
firefox_esr_31_completely_transformed_into_ff_3_x_by_a11ryanc-d8h3emi.jpg

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2015-02-19, 18:59

Not really Australis realted... But it fits Mozilla's new road of business first, users at an undefined time afterwards... Mozilla really seems to love DRM....

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=it&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=it&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tomshw.it%2Fcont%2Fnews%2Fmozilla-matchstick-l-anti-chromecast-in-ritardo-e-con-i-drm-e-polemica%2F62588%2F1.html&edit-text=

TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2015-02-20, 16:15

There is a much better way to de-Australify Firefox, its called Pale Moon :P

When I made the switchover it actually went much smoother, faster and effectively than what I had to do with each FF upgrade that came down the pike. Had I loaded an Australis version I would never have been able to get close even after spending countless hours trying. I also likely would have lost a bunch of stuff in the process.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2015-02-20, 16:29

Even with CTR the Chrome clone UI is still beyond - i would have gone rather to Chrome before i use a cheap and stupid imitation like that. And i also do not like that now more advanced or even so called power-users are forced to have to rely on additional add-on's which will NEVER be as smooth working like hard-coded optimized features.

This was a cheap sell-out just to attract simple users. And it failed in a miserable way :twisted:

But seen of recent incidents... Mozilla should really think about a different trademark slogan:

"Mozilla - Where users get sold-out to the maximum. We screw you EVERYTIME for cheap money" :lol:

Lucio Chiappetti
Astronaut
Astronaut

Unread post by Lucio Chiappetti » 2015-02-20, 16:50

TwoTankAmin wrote:There is a much better way to de-Australify Firefox, its called Pale Moon :P
Can we call it Borealis ? :mrgreen:
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. (G.B. Shaw)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-01, 15:08

Ever since Australis was released in version 29 on April 29th of 2014, along with other factors, Firefox has been losing desktop market share at an alarming and accelerating rate.

January's 2015 desktop market share was 11.90% and Firefox has lost another 0.30% which brings February's 2015 desktop market share down to 11.60%.

https://www.netmarketshare.com/browser- ... pcustomb=0

I don't know all the other factors involved, but the release of the Australis UI seems to be the starting point for Firefox's dramatic nose dive in terms of desktop market share percentage since April 29th of 2014.

From looking at the numbers in the link above, Google Chrome is taking desktop market share away from Internet Explorer and Firefox, but it seems to me Chome is really doing the main damage to Firefox.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-03-01, 16:05

Firefox's quality of releases was dropping sharply well before Australis. Rabid release.. constant breaking of extensions, stability issues across the board.. Zero day exploits ala Firefox 16.. Australis was the final straw not the start.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2015-03-01, 16:35

Do not forget the recent stuff.. Moving to Yahoo and making users annoyed and angry, making it harder for the user to switch back to Google, confuse them with the new search UI change - and now with the net neutrality topic, quite some users are also not happy and are leaving...

Mozilla is always picking up the wrong battles, and even if the battles are at one point not that bad, people hate them anyway :D

Time to call the browser and it's greedy and corrupted organization Failzilla Failfox :D

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-01, 18:36

I think Mozilla has "all it's eggs in one basket" and is believing Firefox OS with Australis (for mobile) is going to save Mozilla's "chestnuts from the fire" so to speak.

One thing is for sure. The present bunch of upper management types still employed at Mozilla will never admit to themselves they made a grave tactical mistake by trying to copy Chrome's six week version update schedule for Firefox, gutting the customization within the browser, relying on third party add/on developers to put back the customization the Firefox developers deleted from the browser and last but not least, topping it off with the release of the default Australis UI.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2015-03-01, 18:43

By now either all Australis haters use CTR or have already left the sinking ship called "Failfox" - So, the recent losses are not anymore because of Australis, but for the myriads of other tiny marketing mistakes made by Mozilla - Also let us not forget about Brendan Eich - or the signed add-on bullfrog which also took or will take quite a bunch of users away.

Australis may be history for the reasons of leaving Firefox, but Mozilla has for sure enough stupidity left to make also it's remaining user base damn angry - one by one :D

And i am rather sure even the fanboys down there at "Failzillazine" are slowly a bit worried ;)

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-01, 19:13

When it comes to Firefox, in both Linux and Windows, the last non-Australis version of Firefox I used was Firefox 24.8.1 ESR.

And I still have this version's external installer for Windows and the linux tarball on a few thumb/flash drives.

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-03-22, 02:52

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/desktop/customize/
Make your Firefox your own

It’s easier than ever to personalize Firefox and make it work the way you do.
No other browser gives you so much choice and flexibility.
I just learned that PM isn't a browser according to Mozilla. The "no other" statements are so often ridiculously misused it's a kind of joke.

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-22, 03:56

The real truth about Firefox should read:

"No other browser gives you so much less of a choice and without any flexibility." ;) :lol: