The Australis mega-thread

General discussion and chat (archived)
superA

Re: The Australis mega-thread

Unread post by superA » 2015-03-24, 17:50

Well,I still have Firefox installed in one of my systems,v 34.smthing,heavily tweaked (I thought), I updated it and started playing..

Maybe this is old news,I dont know,but for me it isnt..
After a while, Firefox made a request to mozzila.org,sending the specific version of the browser and my OS !
I was shocked because I was pretty sure I had clean all those ''mystirius'' prefs in about:config,so I blocked the request and started ckecking again.
Found nothing.I had already deleted all those https adresses and the browser shouldnt make this request.

Ten minutes after,Firefox made another connection to mozzila.org (with a diffrent name) and again it send the ecxact Win version I was using and the browser s version (!!!) and I assure you it hadnt checked for update..

So,in case I dont miss something here, I guess..thats the way all modern browsers should work..

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2015-03-25, 12:51

This thread should be renamed into "The big mistakes of Failzilla" :D

Again, not Australis related but here the next utterly stupidity and attack towards their users left:

http://adexchanger.com/ad-exchange-news/mozillas-big-challenge-targeted-ads-that-firefox-users-will-accept/

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-25, 16:53

@Sajadi

After reading that link, with Mozilla slipping "targeted ads" into the Firefox browser, this will stir up a hornet's nest with it's user base who don't want targeted ads. And with that said, I give Firefox about 2 more months and I'm guessing it's desktop market share will fall under the 11% mark as more people leave Firefox because of these "targeted ads).

Mozilla is just a glutton for self punishment.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-25, 17:08

Sajadi wrote:next utterly stupidity and attack towards their users
In recent weeks, the provider of open-source software has met with a range of ad tech companies in a bid to do more with the audience data and ad space generated by its still popular Firefox browser.
So, in other words, they call "user profiling" the "gathering of audience data" now... XD

Simple fact: targeted ads requires knowledge of the user and their locale, behavior and sites visited. This can't be done without collecting and sending such data to advertisers. I thought Firefox/Mozilla was supposed to put your privacy first? At least that is their tagline...
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2015-03-25, 17:42

Moonchild wrote:I thought Firefox/Mozilla was supposed to put your privacy first? At least that is their tagline...
This, only the hardcore fans on (Fail)(Mo)Zillazine do still believe, everyone else who goes trough life with open eyes and an open mind can see that Mozilla only cares for one thing these days.. Money! :twisted:

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-25, 17:55

While surfing the internet concerning the new targeted ads for Firefox, I came across this screenshot. Since Mozilla wants targeted ads for Firefox, below is the future for Firefox. :P

You'll have to left click on the attachment to get a larger and clearer photo.
Attachments
Future of Firefox.png
Last edited by Night Wing on 2015-03-25, 22:01, edited 2 times in total.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

superA

Unread post by superA » 2015-03-25, 18:58

:D The ad at the right corner is all the money.. :lol: :lol:

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-03-25, 19:09

Since Mozilla is hell bent on finding a way to monetize it's Firefox user base as a cash cow, maybe that new lucrative search deal money wise with Yahoo..........wasn't as lucrative as it seems. ;)

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2015-03-25, 21:36

Night Wing wrote:Since Mozilla is hell bent on finding a way to monetize it's Firefox user base as a cash cow, maybe that new lucrative search deal money wise with Yahoo..........wasn't as lucrative as it seems. ;)
For sure it was not. While under Google's leadership Mozilla never have felt the need for aggressively abuse the user's personal data for mass advertising. Google gave them the boot - and la voila - Mozilla jumps into bed with Yahoo, creates a Firefox version with the Yahoo toolbar and goes full ads plan suddenly. If they would have enough money, they would act in a different way. Or perhaps we are wrong and they are only doing it because greed destroyed their Open Source powered soul and moral values :twisted:

Anyway, not all guys at Mozilla are for sure bad - but the upper management and a lot of people below are nothing less than greedy, retarded and money hungry hardcore capitalists from the deepest pits of hell which give a damn for the user and his/her actual needs and instead sell their product to everything what gives them a bit of cash! :lol:

And more and more people look trough the glass and give instead them the boot :clap:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-03-26, 14:14

a few years more and:
mockup2.png
eventually we'll see "Brawndo - the thirst mutilator!" ads pop up too, I'm sure.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2015-04-03, 02:52

Moonchild wrote:a few years more and:
mockup2.png
eventually we'll see "Brawndo - the thirst mutilator!" ads pop up too, I'm sure.
And best of all, the privacy aimed Mozilla Firefox browser will have ads following you right back to your homepage! Who wouldn't want round tabs and personalized advertisments? :D

idimitro

Unread post by idimitro » 2015-04-08, 14:31

mockup2.png
Sorry but the default home page in PM is also having ads and looks like a portal from the early 2000. I know you can change it but... why the laughing.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-04-12, 11:41

idimitro wrote:
mockup2.png
Sorry but the default home page in PM is also having ads and looks like a portal from the early 2000. I know you can change it but... why the laughing.
If you are having an issue with the layout/style of the start portal, then please provide feedback in the start portal discussion thread.

The start portal is a web site. It is a service with a lot of added value than a default search box, provided by a third party, for absolutely free. You can't run servers for free, so it has one ad at the bottom to compensate. They are not ads natively embedded in the browser. Big difference. Don't like the start page? Use something else as your home/newtab page.

Sajadi
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Sajadi » 2015-04-12, 13:31

Supernova wrote:http://www.ghacks.net/2015/04/10/firefox-may-get-a-unified-search-and-address-bar-soon/
Always closer to "chrome-parity" it seems.
I hate that Failzilla guys... i seriously HATE them!

LegitimateGrapes

Unread post by LegitimateGrapes » 2015-04-24, 08:06

Is it possible to stripe down Firefox Australis to be more like Pale Moon? Is there a guide on how to do it from a fresh install? I really want to keep using those Australis extensions.

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2015-06-08, 05:31

LegitimateGrapes wrote:Is it possible to stripe down Firefox Australis to be more like Pale Moon? Is there a guide on how to do it from a fresh install? I really want to keep using those Australis extensions.
Classic Theme Restorer. Mind you that's a 3rd party extension though, we're talking about a complete shell rewrite here. Usable enough though. Recommend you use the ESR to avoid finicky updates though, also less a chance of addons breaking.
What addons are holding you up, anyway?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-06-08, 13:05

CTR won't strip down anything though, it just layers a theme rewrite on top of Australis, so you're doing double the work for restoring somewhat of a pre-Australis look.

sIDcORK

Unread post by sIDcORK » 2015-06-08, 21:26

Even with CTR you are stuck with rather a lot of stuff you can no longer modify, or require serious digging about to do so, Firefox is really being economical with the truth when they say "No other browser gives you so much choice and flexibility". Although it's nowhere near as bad as some.

Tharn

Unread post by Tharn » 2015-06-09, 07:49

Whatever the internals, CTR has a ton of options and can do quite a few things that the classic theme alone can't. I was very satisfied with it on Waterfox.

As for the combined address and search bar.. I do that anyway with Omnibar. It's just less of a fuss typing 'g something' for a google search.