The Australis mega-thread

General discussion and chat (archived)
superA

Re: The Australis mega-thread

Unread post by superA » 2015-06-09, 13:28

Talking about CTR,here is another one (!)..https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... et-reader/.

Now,users just need a couple of more to disable..prefetching,beacon,predictor,telemetry staff,e.t.c and everything will be fine ! :thumbup:

Trippynet
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by Trippynet » 2015-06-09, 13:45

This is why I ditched Firefox for Pale Moon in the first place. I grew sick and tired of having to maintain an ever increasing list of extensions to undo all of Mozilla's latest pile of crazy, and sooner or later some of these extensions started tripping over some of my existing extensions, things broke in weird ways, and I grew sick and tired of the mess that Mozilla kept making me wade through to get my browser back into a usable state each time.

That's one of the things I've loved about Pale Moon. Been using it for over a year now and the only time I've had to tweak my extension list was replacing AdBlock Plus with AdBlock Latitude after the release of 25. Other than that, the browser does what it's supposed to do. Sits there quietly, displays my web pages, keeps on top of security fixes, and doesn't keep breaking every 6 weeks for no good reason.

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2015-06-15, 23:32

Just went back to pay a re-visit to Firefox 3.6 for nostalgia sake. Went to an install an old version of IE Tab, which does support the version at hand. I got greeted with a lovely signing error. Even saved the XPI to hard disk and tried a manual install, network disconnected. Same thing.
Can anybody explain how hardwired this signing is, and does it actually lock the original extensions on server if not signed? Makes little sense to me. Fact Mozilla went this locked up really drives me crazy. I mean I see it providing some security with ad infested installers, and adware trying to make it's way into browser extensions. But still. Just whoah.

_Poke_

Unread post by _Poke_ » 2015-06-17, 14:46

11ryanc wrote:Just went back to pay a re-visit to Firefox 3.6 for nostalgia sake. Went to an install an old version of IE Tab, which does support the version at hand. I got greeted with a lovely signing error. Even saved the XPI to hard disk and tried a manual install, network disconnected. Same thing.
Can anybody explain how hardwired this signing is, and does it actually lock the original extensions on server if not signed? Makes little sense to me. Fact Mozilla went this locked up really drives me crazy. I mean I see it providing some security with ad infested installers, and adware trying to make it's way into browser extensions. But still. Just whoah.
The extensions aren't signed properly - they break standards and cause a crash in all Firefox versions up to... I think it was 28 or so? I don't know a solution myself, unless you have access to an unsigned copy somewhere.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-06-17, 21:16

If you MUST you can crack open the Add-on with 7zip and simply delete META-INF folder that will kill the signature. However, running such an ancient version of Firefox is such a terrible idea I won't even go into why.

11ryanc

Unread post by 11ryanc » 2015-06-18, 03:14

Matt A Tobin wrote:If you MUST you can crack open the Add-on with 7zip and simply delete META-INF folder that will kill the signature. However, running such an ancient version of Firefox is such a terrible idea I won't even go into why.
I can go on why. Gecko 1.9, and the fact it's been out of security patches since 2012. None more said..
Like I said, nostalgia/test purposes. I was IE Tabbing it with IE11 just to see what it would look like to browse modern sites under the old browser skin. I would never endorse, nor even use it myself. It's just, well kind of stupid. Just enjoy playing with the versions at times :)
We have Pale Moon for a pretty good reason.