about:config as a search engine target?

General discussion and chat (archived)
kelendral

about:config as a search engine target?

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-09-17, 17:44

Not sure where to throw this post.
I wanted to try to create a search engine target of about:config?filter={searchTerms}

Reason: I wanted to be able to simply right click a property I see in a discussion/thread and open about:config right to that.

Any tips? I've tried creating and OpenSearch XML but it was rejected by Pale Moon. AddToSearch bar doesn't function on about:config so that was a no go too.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Re: about:config as a search engine target?

Unread post by therube » 2018-09-17, 18:45

JavaScript is not my forte, to say the least.
But I would think someone could come up with a bookmarklet, in a minute, to do this.

Something along the lines of...

Code: Select all

javascript:Qr=document.getSelection();if(Qr)window.open=('about:config?filter='+(Qr));void(0)
(But as I said, JavaScript is not... so will need some fixing ;-).)

Idea being, that you highlight some text on a webpage, & the bookmarklet opens about:config, filtered on that text (Qr).
Last edited by therube on 2018-09-17, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-09-18, 04:30

Nice idea, unfortunately it didn't work.
I tried the example for bookmarklet search as found on Wikipedia. Searching on a real website, able to make it wok fine. Doesn't even attempt to open a tab for about:config.
I'm thinking it is most likely just the security to protect against malicious opening of such internal pages.
Anyway, thank you for the idea and time.

EDIT: confirmed Privileged URLs cannot be opened. Ah well, quest dead end. Same bookmarklet I tried earlier open for a non-privileged such as about:blank worked fine (although obviously went no where and did nothing except a blank page).
Last edited by kelendral on 2018-09-18, 04:52, edited 2 times in total.

JustOff

Unread post by JustOff » 2018-09-18, 17:09

1. Create a bookmark with a location of "about:config?filter=%s" and assign it a keyword.
2. Download and install the SmartSearch v3.25 add-on.
3. Bingo ;)

kelendral

Unread post by kelendral » 2018-09-20, 05:52

Thanks JustOff. Solution works.