General discussion and chat (archived)
RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

HTTPS testing passed for Gigabyte's web site

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-08-07, 00:03

As long as you type "www" before the domain name:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze ... gabyte.com

Without typing "www" by yourself, expect a complaint about a domain name mismatch.

Ran a new test, because of the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18004

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: HTTPS testing passed for Gigabyte's web site

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-07, 00:06

And why, pray tell, is this something to post on the Pale Moon forum?
Also, IMO, a "website" should always have the "www." prefix in its host name; going to the raw "root" domain may get you something else or nothing at all. This is also why Pale Moon and most other browsers will try a "URL fixup" if you are not entering "www."
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-07, 00:21

Either is perfectly valid according to every bit of research I have read. I personally prefer not having www dot. However, I must ask the same question. Why is this relevant?

In any event, I believe it is best practice to make sure that www dot and non-www do always go to the same place either by str8 up serving them content or by issuing a redirect to which ever is the preferred form. If example.com and www.example.com show entirely different content or one fails to resolve it can be quite telling of the webmaster or administrator of the server.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2018-08-07, 00:24, edited 3 times in total.

RJARRRPCGP
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by RJARRRPCGP » 2018-08-07, 03:15

I originally posted this and added that note, because www.gigabyte.com comes up clean, sorry guys...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-08-07, 06:45

It's just my opinion that "www." should be used for actual websites (not web apps or other services). Do with that what you will.
New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I believe it is best practice to make sure that www dot and non-www do always go to the same place
Considering they are used interchangeably these days, I absolutely agree with this. Even if the root domain server is a different machine it should redirect to the web server if accessed over the http port.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2018-08-07, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite