HTTPS testing passed for Gigabyte's web site

For the more technical/geeky chat subjects!

Moderator: satrow

RJARRRPCGP
Fanatic
Fanatic

HTTPS testing passed for Gigabyte's web site

Unread postby RJARRRPCGP » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 00:03

As long as you type "www" before the domain name:

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze ... gabyte.com

Without typing "www" by yourself, expect a complaint about a domain name mismatch.

Ran a new test, because of the following thread:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=18004

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: HTTPS testing passed for Gigabyte's web site

Unread postby Moonchild » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 00:06

And why, pray tell, is this something to post on the Pale Moon forum?
Also, IMO, a "website" should always have the "www." prefix in its host name; going to the raw "root" domain may get you something else or nothing at all. This is also why Pale Moon and most other browsers will try a "URL fixup" if you are not entering "www."
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Take note: 23 November is Wolfenoot! Eat roast meat and/or cake decorated like the full moon. #wolfenoot

New Tobin Paradigm
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread postby New Tobin Paradigm » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 00:21

Either is perfectly valid according to every bit of research I have read. I personally prefer not having www dot. However, I must ask the same question. Why is this relevant?

In any event, I believe it is best practice to make sure that www dot and non-www do always go to the same place either by str8 up serving them content or by issuing a redirect to which ever is the preferred form. If example.com and www.example.com show entirely different content or one fails to resolve it can be quite telling of the webmaster or administrator of the server.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 00:24, edited 3 times in total.

RJARRRPCGP
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread postby RJARRRPCGP » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 03:15

I originally posted this and added that note, because www.gigabyte.com comes up clean, sorry guys...

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread postby Moonchild » Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 06:45

It's just my opinion that "www." should be used for actual websites (not web apps or other services). Do with that what you will.

New Tobin Paradigm wrote:I believe it is best practice to make sure that www dot and non-www do always go to the same place

Considering they are used interchangeably these days, I absolutely agree with this. Even if the root domain server is a different machine it should redirect to the web server if accessed over the http port.
Last edited by Moonchild on Tue, 07 Aug 2018, 06:46, edited 1 time in total.
Improving Mozilla code: You know you're on the right track with code changes when you spend the majority of your time deleting code.

"If you want to build a better world for yourself, you have to be willing to build one for everybody." -- Coyote Osborne

Take note: 23 November is Wolfenoot! Eat roast meat and/or cake decorated like the full moon. #wolfenoot

Return to “Technical chat”