Pale Moon extremely sluggish compared to Chromium.

General discussion and chat (archived)
Thedarkb

Pale Moon extremely sluggish compared to Chromium.

Unread post by Thedarkb » 2018-08-02, 20:36

I've tried Pale Moon and Chromium on the same machine today, a ThinkPad T60 with a 1.8ghz Yonah Intel Core Duo, 2GB of RAM running in dual channel and with a Radeon X1300. Obviously not a great machine but I had it on hand with a fresh install of Debian (with non-free drivers for my GPU) and the results were staggering, here are the page loading times I got in each browser.

Pale Moon:
old.reddit.com: 8.05s
google.ie: 3.69s
yahoo.ie: 24.92s, failed to load any of the emails in my yahoo inbox!
discordapp.com/channels/@me: 36.00

Chromium:
old.reddit.com: 7.02s
google.ie: 3.89
yahoo.ie: 8.10
discordapp.com/channels/@me: 17.61s

The tests were done on the same 1mbps DSL connection one after the other. My reasoning behind testing this was whenever I tried to scroll up or down in the channel list, server list or chat in Discord, it was extremely slow and stuttery to the point where it was extremely difficult to actually scroll to the item you wanted without going past it. I was also annoyed by how Pale Moon would fail to load my mailbox. I really hope UXP will fix these issues as I really don't want to have to switch as I despise the Chrome UI.

snertev

Re: Pale Moon extremely sluggish compared to Chromium.

Unread post by snertev » 2018-08-03, 15:12

Thedarkb wrote:I've tried Pale Moon and Chromium on the same machine today, a ThinkPad T60 with a 1.8ghz Yonah Intel Core Duo, 2GB of RAM running in dual channel and with a Radeon X1300. Obviously not a great machine but I had it on hand with a fresh install of Debian (with non-free drivers for my GPU) and the results were staggering, here are the page loading times I got in each browser.

Pale Moon:

Chromium:

The tests were done on the same 1mbps DSL connection one after the other.
With this method you can have misleading results caused from cached DNS on your PC.

therube
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by therube » 2018-08-05, 11:02

With this method you can have misleading results caused from cached DNS on your PC.
What methods would you use to get more accurate results?

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2018-08-05, 11:26

Those results are for YOUR machine.So what point are you trying to convey.?.if those results were consistent on many hundred different configs and machines then they may have some creedence.
But just stating that the browser is sluggish(which appears to be only on yahoo) is a empty comment.also the other results are only a matter of seconds and i cannot believe that most users would even notice.On some systems chromium has been proven to be slower than palemoon and so it will go on in a loop of confusion.
Performance will always vary on all differing machines and with all software,
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2018-08-05, 13:06

@ Thedarkb

I own four computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops). Both linux and windows Pale Moon, since I dual boot linux Mint 19 and Windows 7, are very fast on all four of my computers. All of these computers have Intel i7 processors with the slowest processor speed of 2.50 and the fastest processor speed of (3.20).

With that said, some people prefer a fast browser. Some people, like me, prefer easy customization within the browser. If Pale Moon is not as fast as Chromium is for your liking, then the logical choice for you is to use Chromium.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

yereverluvinuncleber
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by yereverluvinuncleber » 2018-08-05, 14:12

On an old computer (core2duo laptop 4gb RAM with a 2.5ghz CPU and a hybrid HDD) a browser that fails to respond as it is consuming resources less efficiently than another is very noticeable indeed.

I certainly don't see the same performance decrease that the OP has encountered.

In general I use 32bit version of PM which is absolutely fine for my everyday needs. It loads the main pages that I want (deviantart, the BBC, youtube and facebook) perfectly well with very little to complain about. However, Chromium 64bit does handle these sites in a way that is generally faster than PM 32, even so it has its own speed issues from time to time.

64bit PM does seem faster than 32 bit version and it is on these slow machines that you really feel the difference. In general Chromium operates faster than PM 64 but it isn't by much. Multiple image downloading and rendering seems quicker on Chromium but in general PM 64 is certainly quick enough for my needs. I switched to PM32 from FF64 and it was a speed increase that I enjoyed as FF seemed to have grown slow over the years. PM64 was also a little unstable on my PC so I reverted to PM32bit.

I will try PM64 again now that I have tested it successfully against Chrome. I would say my simple tests show pure Chromium without extensions runs a little faster than PM 64 with all my extensions enabled (and I have quite a few). However, I would not know what to do without my extensions so regardless of any small speed increase in chromium I will stick to the familiar PM interface and functionality that I have grown so used to over years of FF/PM use.
Last edited by yereverluvinuncleber on 2018-08-05, 14:14, edited 2 times in total.
My skills technical & otherwise: VMS system manager 20 years. Fault Tolerance, clustering, Vax, Alpha and ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB.NET, VB6, PHP, Javascript. Graphic Design, Project Management, CMS Web Design. DOS and Windows admin since 1985. Quad Audio Electronics update and repair. Rebuilding classic cars and motorcycles. Artist in watercolours. Historian. There's more.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-08-05, 14:24

snertev wrote:
Thedarkb wrote:I've tried Pale Moon and Chromium on the same machine today, a ThinkPad T60 with a 1.8ghz Yonah Intel Core Duo, 2GB of RAM running in dual channel and with a Radeon X1300. Obviously not a great machine but I had it on hand with a fresh install of Debian (with non-free drivers for my GPU) and the results were staggering, here are the page loading times I got in each browser.

Pale Moon:

Chromium:

The tests were done on the same 1mbps DSL connection one after the other.
You have to run all sites in one browser, flush your Windows DNS cache (search for it on your preferred search engine) and then re-run the sites in the other browser.

There may be other issues that can affect the results (i.e. target server overloading, network issues, WiFi issues, and soon), but at least the DNS variant is excluded.
Last edited by snertev on 2018-08-05, 14:28, edited 2 times in total.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-08-05, 14:27

BTW, rather than speed I'd talk about snappiness.

Web pages with a lot of javascript and those little damned GIFs can create problems, especially if they reload on a very large session of tabs.

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-08-05, 14:34

One addition: I'm monitoring my CPU temperatures because I'm using it in this moment in a room that is at 38° Celsius and, because of CPU usage made from different browsers on the same page, my average CPU temps are:

Pale moon (latest beta): 50/51 degrees

Vivaldi: 55/56 degrees

Firefox 61: 60/61 degrees

Different browsers drain different wattage and produce diffent temps.
Last edited by snertev on 2018-08-05, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.

Thehandyman1957

Unread post by Thehandyman1957 » 2018-08-05, 14:36

Also, something to keep in mind is that Yahoo has a boat load of advertisements
and using something like Ublock Origin will make a huge difference and even make
Yahoo more usable without all the bloat. ;)

snertev

Unread post by snertev » 2018-08-05, 14:56

Thehandyman1957 wrote:Also, something to keep in mind is that Yahoo has a boat load of advertisements
and using something like Ublock Origin will make a huge difference and even make
Yahoo more usable without all the bloat. ;)
This is the #1 suggestion to speed your browser up. :D
Last edited by snertev on 2018-08-05, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2018-08-31, 08:59

Please try the newly released Pale Moon 28.0.1 and report back.