Couldn't load XPCOM

General discussion and chat (archived)
Hueristic

Couldn't load XPCOM

Unread post by Hueristic » 2018-02-22, 14:11

This thread has been marked solved in the past but I'm not agreeing with the reinstalling the operating system is a qualification for solving this issue.

I've placed this in this section as the solution surly is technical if any mods wish to move it feel free.

This error upon start is due to me disabling windows 7 processes and or removing windows some M$ default DLL's. Such as All the Remote management drivers.

The XPCOM.dll is present on the system and is registered, I'm not sure if it has dependencies that are not loading.

FF 42.* is starting just fine as well as newer versions.

This is on a hardened system and it needs to stay that way.

So what would be really helpful is a list of dependencies and any help on the XPCOM error.

Thanks in advance. :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Couldn't load XPCOM

Unread post by Moonchild » 2018-02-22, 15:35

The error message has nothing to do with any sort of xpcom.dll (there is no such thing in the browser), but rather missing essential runtime libraries or not finding the expected hardware support required for the browser to initialize.

To find out exactly what the issue is, you'll have to provide detailed information about your computer and Windows environment. Which CPU do you have, Which OS and version, what have you done to harden the system, exactly, etc. Also, what additional software might you be running that could quarantine or delete "untrusted files"?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Hueristic

Re: Couldn't load XPCOM

Unread post by Hueristic » 2018-02-22, 18:57

Well A DLL is a Dynamic Link Library so yes you are correct that "essential runtime libraries" are missing, my question is how to find out what those would be.

I cannot list "what have you done to harden the system, exactly," as that list is far too long it would be far easier for me to list the 32 processes I do allow to autoload. Basically the only processes allowed to Auto start are the bare bones for windows to load and make a tcpip connection as well as handle basic com objects.

OS is Win7x64Sp1 Enterprise Edition
Hardware is X64 AMD although it does not matter as long as it has the correct instruction sets as it does.

There are no additional programs that quarantine and/or delete files.

This apparently is not uncommon and I would like to find the root cause, not just a fix. I do not just willy nilly reinstall programs if they malfunction, I diagnose and repair them. For instance if it turns out a registry key has been corrupted or changed/deleted then I want to know about it and why and how that has happened so that I may mitigate that from happening again in the future.

https://www.google.com/search?q=XPCOM+i ... 8&oe=utf-8
Last edited by Hueristic on 2018-02-22, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.