thunderbird and the future of palemoon

General discussion and chat (archived)
eriffodrol

thunderbird and the future of palemoon

Unread post by eriffodrol » 2017-11-17, 13:13

I wasn't sure where to ask about this, but here goes...

I use two instances of Thunderbird at the same. One use the default profile, the other uses a 2nd profile with -no-remote. When I click a link in the instance of Thunderbird where it is not being run with -no-remote (and already have PM running), it works exactly as it should and loads a new tab in the existing window.

When I try to open links from the 2nd profile, it gives the "palemoon is already running...." message. The same thing seems to happen with any mozilla based browser.

It's not a new problem, and I'm not the only person who has a desire to use Thunderbird in this way. Mozilla has known about it for years now but has not done anything to try to fix it, if that's even possible. Portable versions don't work because in the end you still have to use the -no-remote parameter to run two separate copies with separate profiles of the same program at the same time.

Can someone explain in plain terms explain why Mozilla products cannot work together in this scenario?

If it is a "guts" kind of problem, is it a possibility for the future that enough Mozilla components of PM could be replaced, for it to be able to work?

(Chrome can open links just fine regardless of which instance they come from, but dragging and dropping is better than that.)

joe04

Re: thunderbird and the future of palemoon

Unread post by joe04 » 2017-11-18, 18:30

Yes it's the "guts" of how multiple instances work for Firefox/Thunderbird. And no, I highly doubt it'll ever be changed.

btw, I'm curious, why multiple email client profiles? (I use multiple browser profiles for different levels of uBO filtering.)

eriffodrol

Re: thunderbird and the future of palemoon

Unread post by eriffodrol » 2017-11-19, 00:24

joe04 wrote:Yes it's the "guts" of how multiple instances work for Firefox/Thunderbird. And no, I highly doubt it'll ever be changed.

btw, I'm curious, why multiple email client profiles? (I use multiple browser profiles for different levels of uBO filtering.)
I only use one browser, but I have a lot of email accounts for different "purposes". One TB has my personal/work/important stuff and the other has burners/etc.