27.6 release question for Windows 7 users

General discussion and chat (archived)
Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

27.6 release question for Windows 7 users

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-07, 17:07

In regards to:
....fonts may look different from this version onwards if you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7. Users on Windows 7 affected by this should install the Platform Update to re-enable Direct2D.
I apparently do not have this update that was released in Feb of 2013 presumably because it was not released as an "important" update at the time.

I'm concerned about issues reported of which here are just a couple i.e.: LINK -
update problem KB2670838
Installed this today, it caused my Poppeeper to be flagged with a -1000 error. Rolled computer back and problem cured. Have hidden update until i know what to do.
I use POP Peeper regularly all the time and don't want problems with the app...

Other problems that may not impact me specifically but may be a potential concern for some: LINK -
KB 2670838 - The EVIL UPDATE....The internet becomes essentially non-usable.
Before I update to 27.6 I would like more information on this please. Perhaps most Windows 7 users are not impacted and do not need this, I have no idea....
Any Windows 7 users updating to 27.6 that use POP Peeper and have this Windows update (KB2670838) please post your results or have any other issues as well.... Thanks in advance. :D
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Re: 27.6 release question for Windows 7 users

Unread post by mommabear » 2017-11-07, 17:26

I just updated PM to 27.6 and I use Pop Peeper for two very old email addresses, Yahoo and Hotmail. I've avoided any kind of updating that I could at their web mail sign in links. My Pop Peeper appears to be okay. Perhaps you need to update some of Pop Peppers Modules? That's usually the only time I get flagged. I do not have the Pro version. Just the plain old free one.
pop peeper.jpg
I realized that I needed updating. :oops:
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-07, 17:41

Thanks for the feedback mommabear :thumbup: .... (I happen to use current PRO POP Peeper)

After further checking I've found that I did update to KB2670838 on 11/19/14.... It was not listed at around the time it was released in Feb 2013, but I found it by searching the Windows update uninstall interface (which provides a global search) - should have checked this way before posting the topic :oops:.

So I'm presuming no problems with 27.6.0 since I've already got the Windows update anyway.

I'm assuming at this stage that any issues back then have been resolved by Microsoft.

Most likely the vast majority of Windows 7 users already have this KB2670838 update. :idea:

If mods want to lock the topic based on irrelevance, feel free. ;)
Current Pale Moon(x86) Release | WIN10 | I5 CPU, 1.7 GHz, 6GB RAM, 500GB HD[20GB SSD]
Formerly user Pale Moon Rising - to provide context involving embedded reply threads.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Knowing Pale Moon is indisputably #1 is defined by knowing the totality of browsers. - Pale Moon Rising

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-07, 17:49

Off-topic:
mommabear wrote:.... I realized that I needed updating. :oops:
Yea there have been 3 releases since your build (1 major) see POP Peeper Version History ;) (you can see all the fixes you do not have, released since your v4.3 build on Oct 25, 2016)

You might want to go to "Help" > "About POP Peeper..." and check "Automatically check for updates" as well as "Auto-update Webmail plugin" if you happen to be using "Webmail" (are not using IMAP or POP3 for any accounts). You can also click the "Check Version" button in that interface. ;)

mommabear
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by mommabear » 2017-11-07, 18:52

I got poppepper updated. I use it so infrequently that I'm always behind, I only use it to see the mail. I never use the program otherwise.
Windows 7 Home Premium, Sp 1
Pale Moon 28.4.1 64-bit

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-07, 19:06

Off-topic:
mommabear wrote:.... I only use it to see the mail.....
That's basically what it is for... ;) ... makes things very easy to interface with Email in the event of multiple Email accounts as all messages are accessed in one place for all Email accounts (using any protocol you choose). No PWD's are required using POP Peeper (as is the case when logging into Client on the web), and all messages can be observed in the one POP Peeper Inbox interface for all Email accounts (that can be interfaced with individually) and POP Peeper is very secure (even has an option to encrypt all data including PWD data as well). Can also filter for SPAM for all accounts and report spam to reporting services (PRO version only) :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-11-07, 22:29

Off-topic:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:No PWD's are required using POP Peeper (as is the case when logging into Client on the web)
I find this hard to believe. You need a password to log into a POP account to be able to see its contents/check mail... so it has to have the password for your accounts somewhere.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Pallid Planetoid
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Pallid Planetoid » 2017-11-07, 22:57

Moonchild wrote:
Off-topic:
Pale Moon Rising wrote:No PWD's are required using POP Peeper (as is the case when logging into Client on the web)
I find this hard to believe. You need a password to log into a POP account to be able to see its contents/check mail... so it has to have the password for your accounts somewhere.
Off-topic:
What I mean is that once accounts are setup In POP Peeper then you have access to all of the accounts from then on without requiring a PWD to access the account via the POP Peeper interface. Actually if an IMAP account is setup using OAuth2 (which is available via POP Peeper for any Clients that offer this IMAP option [Note: MSN, Yahoo, Gmail among others all offer it]) then a PWD is not required to be on file in POP Peeper at all as the app has been authorized via the Client so POP Peeper does not even need the PWD on file in it's database in this case. Either way users do not have to be bothered with any of the accounts PWD to access messages which is a nice convenience the more Email accounts that might be added to POP Peeper (if a specific user wants to secure a specific account with a separate PWD this is possible as well as POP Peeper has a multitude of configurable options).