RamDisk and TEMP/TMP files

General discussion and chat (archived)
mr666

RamDisk and TEMP/TMP files

Unread post by mr666 » 2012-11-21, 19:43

I am experimenting new performance tweaks and I would like to use an original Palemoon advise on memory for windows user that is pretty similar to something used by linux system about temporary files and cached/ not persistent memory that sometimes appears to be slow because it has related to HDD reading and writing:
I want to refer about this recent howtos topic: Tip: using a ramdisk for cache.
There are plenty of Ramdisk driver and software available.

The following freeware RRamdisk.sys, originally written by Gavotte based on Microsoft’s Ramdisk.sys, and later being added a GUI interface or other ones, in any case,I would like to
use the (softperfect) RAM disk with 100 MB or so allocated to it, and make sure you put your Windows TEMP folder on it - that way any temporary files (used a lot by e.g. Flash) will be written to RAM instead of disk which will speed things up, probably more noticeable than using it for the browser cache.
Other than this I think I should move documents&settings/myuser/localsetting/temp file but I can not.
Is it possible to move them actually?
Thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: RamDisk and TEMP/TMP files

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-11-21, 22:04

You don't have to move the actual folder. What you should do is make sure your environment variables are properly set. The softperfect ramdisk actually has a menu entry under tools where you can easily do this, so you don't have to do this manually in your control panel -> system -> advanced dialog -> advanced tab -> button environment variables (pain to get to).
Just make sure the folder you set your TEMP/TMP variables to exists on the ram disk, if you're not using the root of it.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite