Will Servo faster than Blink?

General discussion and chat (archived)
zcyzcy88

Will Servo faster than Blink?

Unread post by zcyzcy88 » 2017-06-03, 06:28

This is the last stand of Mozilla.
If not, I can't imagine how Mozilla embarrass.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Will Servo faster than Blink?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-03, 10:32

Comparing apples and oranges, there. I think you mean to say "will quantum be faster than blink?" :)
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

testator777

Unread post by testator777 » 2017-06-05, 06:10

Servo will severely lack bugs once it is finished due to being written in a type safe, pointer safe, and memory safe language with no garbage collector mandatory. So at the very least it 'coud' be more secure than blink, goanna, webkit, and any other web platform out there really.

Speed would be determined by how they interface with almost everything else. Looks like they use curl, freeglut, freetype, mesa, gperf, pip, openssl, libXmu, glu, and xorg-server. So the rendering, part of the networking, and I/O will be of a similar or degraded performance. The other part of the networking and disk I/O would be bug free along with everything needed to translate from rust to C++ bindings to <insert library here> having 'fewer' bugs which means more speed sometimes.

Really you will just have to try it when it is finished.
Off-topic:
If that was a bot that posted just delete this along with his post later

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-06-08, 13:44

testator777 wrote:Servo will severely lack bugs once it is finished due to being written in a type safe, pointer safe, and memory safe language with no garbage collector mandatory.
It has the potential of avoiding some common pitfalls, but I don't think you can say it will lack bugs. No matter what language you write a considerably-sized program in, it can and will have bugs.
testator777 wrote:So at the very least it 'coud' be more secure than blink, goanna, webkit, and any other web platform out there really.
Once again, Servo can't be compared with Blink or Goanna. If you want to compare, then you should compare Servo with XUL as a UI front-end.
The speed and security of Firefox will depend on Spidermonkey and Quantum (which is built on Gecko) since that is the platform, not what is being used to construct the front-end.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite