Optimal Gaming Performance - Ethernet Tweaks

General discussion and chat (archived)
dark_moon

Optimal Gaming Performance - Ethernet Tweaks

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-05-11, 20:47

Anyone know if that settings are recommend?:
https://gist.github.com/CHEF-KOCH/6878f ... 961baba5e4

The guy make good stuff but i never heard of such tweaks and wonder if they are real good.

John connor

Re: Optimal Gaming Performance - Ethernet Tweaks

Unread post by John connor » 2017-05-12, 02:46

Not sure. I just built a new computer with both a Killer NIC and an Intel NIC and I think those settings are there. I'll give these a go and see what happens. Although, I haven't had any trouble with my speed or anything. I have 100 MbPS down.

adisib
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by adisib » 2017-05-12, 03:03

John connor wrote:I'll give these a go and see what happens. Although, I haven't had any trouble with my speed or anything. I have 100 MbPS down.
Those tweaks aren't aimed at increasing download speeds. They are aimed at decreasing latency.

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-05-12, 08:00

I know that. It's just that my connection has been pretty stable while playing online games, etc.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-12, 11:07

Whether this will help or not depends greatly on your hardware.

For example? Checksum off-loading is going to be much more efficient when done by the actual NIC, unless your NIC is particularly slow/crappy/old. The ethernet chips are designed to do this kind of processing. Having the network stack do this will cause a lot of extra latency if you have to retransmit/check packets, and may also be interrupted with heavy CPU load.

The same goes for flow control. switching that off actually kills proper use of the send/receive buffers in the NIC and will serve only to make the datastream more uneven.

In short: these mechanisms are in place for a reason. I'd be extremely careful disabling any of it, and even more careful disabling all of them as suggested.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

dark_moon

Unread post by dark_moon » 2017-05-12, 14:27

Thanks Moonchild. I use the defaults then