Windows exploits and Google Report-

General discussion and chat (archived)
TwoTankAmin
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Windows exploits and Google Report-

Unread post by TwoTankAmin » 2017-05-10, 15:04

I was surfing the technology news section on Google News. I clicked to expand a report entitled "Why Windows must die. For the third time" and several other links came up. One of these was "Most Referenced:Remotely Exploitable Type Confusion in Windows 8, 8.1, 10... - M" it was a link which I clicked on out of curiosity and I was taken to this page
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1252&desc=5

This is a Google page dealing with bugs they have discovered. The title was about the only thing on the page I could understand clearly.
MsMpEng: Remotely Exploitable Type Confusion in Windows 8, 8.1, 10, Windows Server, SCEP, Microsoft Security Essentials, and more.
Project Member Reported by taviso@google.com, May 6 (4 days ago)
Some of the plain English made some sense to me, but all the code is so far above my pay grade as to be an alien language to me. Some folks here might understand it all.

The one thing I did note is apparently this does not affect the Windows 7 version which I use.
“No one has ever become poor by giving.” Anonymous
“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”" Daniel Patrick Moynihan
"The good thing about science is that it’s true whether or not you believe in it." Neil DeGrasse Tyson

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: Windows exploits and Google Report-

Unread post by satrow » 2017-05-10, 15:23

It does affect W7 and, I think, any Windows version with Microsoft Security Essentials installed: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/lib ... ty/4022344

Activate Defender and update it internally, disable it if desired, once it's done.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-05-10, 15:33

So why are more than half of the comments deleted, anyway?
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2017-05-10, 16:57

Moonchild wrote:So why are more than half of the comments deleted, anyway?
I have a feeling that might have something to do with the way Tavis hinted at it on Fri/Saturday on his Twitter account?