General discussion and chat (archived)
gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Additional information about the Identity Panel

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-30, 19:20

identity panel 2.png
identity panel 2.png (5.11 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Moonchild wrote:So, before you enter any login details, always, ALWAYS check the identity panel to see if the site is secure (padlock shown) and displaying the domain or owner you expect.
If you want more details, you can also click on the padlock.If you want more details, you can also click on the padlock.
The keyboard shortcut for this is Ctrl-i, or Cmd-i for Mac OS. (The key-presses work even when you have the Navigation Toolbar hidden.) Whether you click on the padlock or use the keyboard shortcut, you open the Page Info window.
Now, if you click on the favicon to the left of the domain name, you get a pop-up that states "You are visiting palemoon.org" or "You are xn--e1awd7f.com", whatever the case may be, along with an image of a police officer. (I cannot show you a screenshot because of system limitations.) If you then click on the button "More Information", you get the same Page Info window illustrated above.

ADDENDUM: I notice one small difference. If you click on the padlock, the Page Info window defaults to the Security tab, as illustrated above. If you use the keyboard shortcut, the Page Info window opens at the General tab.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀

gracious1
Keeps coming back
Keeps coming back

Re: Additional information about the Identity Panel

Unread post by gracious1 » 2017-04-30, 23:50

Does anyone know the proper name for that box with the policeman icon?

As I said, I couldn't get a screenshot on my system, but you can see it here:
So what is that balloon called?

By the way, that snapshot (taken from here) depicts how it looks when you are at a partially encrypted site, and it is using Firefox, but it looks substantially same in Pale Moon.
20 July 1969 🌗 Apollo 11 🌓 "One small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind." 🚀