Yahoo Videos don't play

General discussion and chat (archived)
Mrzocor

Yahoo Videos don't play

Unread post by Mrzocor » 2017-04-01, 16:26

No Yahoo videos play in Pale Moon at all. at least the majority of them.

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Re: Yahoo Videos don't play

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-04-01, 19:40

Post example link(s).

Mrzocor

Unread post by Mrzocor » 2017-04-02, 19:35

Can't seem to find them anymore. Yesterday half of the videos were nothing more than a black box with a cursor spinning in the middle of it.https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-arrested ... 46144.html

josephd
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by josephd » 2017-04-02, 21:36

Get the same black box on video you linked. Searched and found video here that works after allowing flash.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/man-arreste ... r/1829507/

back2themoon
Moon Magic practitioner
Moon Magic practitioner

Unread post by back2themoon » 2017-04-02, 21:43

Mrzocor wrote:Can't seem to find them anymore. Yesterday half of the videos were nothing more than a black box with a cursor spinning in the middle of it.https://www.yahoo.com/news/man-arrested ... 46144.html
It plays normally here. Try Safe Mode (perhaps some ad-blocking or other extension interferes).

Mrzocor

Unread post by Mrzocor » 2017-04-02, 22:31

josephd wrote:Get the same black box on video you linked. Searched and found video here that works after allowing flash.

What do you mean after allowing flash. I didn't see an option to allow flash. Was there even a video on your link?

Mrzocor

Unread post by Mrzocor » 2017-04-03, 00:09

Mrzocor wrote:
josephd wrote:Get the same black box on video you linked. Searched and found video here that works after allowing flash.

What do you mean after allowing flash. I didn't see an option to allow flash. Was there even a video on your link?
I went to tools/options, and under video I unchecked all three. seems to be working now.

Mrzocor

Unread post by Mrzocor » 2017-04-04, 15:59

Mrzocor wrote:
Mrzocor wrote:

I went to tools/options, and under video I unchecked all three. seems to be working now.
Now a lot of other videos don't work. I don't get it.

eskaton
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by eskaton » 2017-04-04, 16:30

What fixes one thing may break another. There's no silver bullet that makes everything work 100%. Add to this that website constantly change the mechanisms behond video delivery and even the same site may work one day and not the next with the same settings.

Mrzocor

Unread post by Mrzocor » 2017-04-04, 16:43

eskaton023 wrote:What fixes one thing may break another. There's no silver bullet that makes everything work 100%. Add to this that website constantly change the mechanisms behond video delivery and even the same site may work one day and not the next with the same settings.
That only holds true for Pale Moon. Doesn't seem to bother any other browser.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-04, 17:01

We are still working on video handling with MSE (Media Source Extensions). So, on some sites, having MSE enabled may not work, and you have to disable it to use a non-MSE alternative.

Why disabling MSE prevents other videos from playing:
Because MSE has been "the next glorious thing" and having been pushed very hard by Google and colleagues who wrote the spec (because it is a close companion and prerequisite to enabling in-browser DRM (EME)), a lot of streaming sites now use it, without providing a fallback mechanism if MSE isn't offered by the browser. If you disable MSE in options, this will then break those sites.

While we're working on improving MSE and further aligning it exactly with the spec, you can use a per-site option by using an extension written by one of our contributors: HTML5 Video Tuner
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Mrzocor

Unread post by Mrzocor » 2017-04-04, 17:12

Moonchild wrote:We are still working on video handling with MSE (Media Source Extensions). So, on some sites, having MSE enabled may not work, and you have to disable it to use a non-MSE alternative.

Why disabling MSE prevents other videos from playing:
Because MSE has been "the next glorious thing" and having been pushed very hard by Google and colleagues who wrote the spec (because it is a close companion and prerequisite to enabling in-browser DRM (EME)), a lot of streaming sites now use it, without providing a fallback mechanism if MSE isn't offered by the browser. If you disable MSE in options, this will then break those sites.

While we're working on improving MSE and further aligning it exactly with the spec, you can use a per-site option by using an extension written by one of our contributors: HTML5 Video Tuner
Disabling MSE doesn't do anything for CBS Sports. No videos work with it enabled or disabled

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-04-04, 21:33

Let me provide some background on our MSE support:

The MSE code we inherited with the platform update (what became Pale Moon 27.0) was a barely working implementation put together by Mozilla. Even at that time it was not spec compliant (and the spec has changed since then even), and did not play many videos that used MSE. Go back and try using Pale Moon 27.0.x or Firefox ESR 38 (or even some early 40.x releases for that matter). Many MSE videos will flat out refuse to play. Some services (such as Twitch), won't even work at all.

After ESR38, Mozilla started a MAJOR rewrite of the media code in an effort to make their support more spec compliant. Not only did this require a massive amount of work for the MSE code, but it also affected many other areas of the media subsystem (introducing many hangs, crashes, bugs, etc for both MSE and non-MSE playback that had to be fixed). Some of the MSE changes made required changes to other areas of the media code (decoders, demuxers, threads they run on, etc.), and other changes required entirely new components (such as the MediaFormatReader, AbstractThreads, and others) to be written and added.

Now for some perspective: It took an entire team at Mozilla approx. 42 weeks (from FF39-45) to get all this done. That's almost a full year. For Pale Moon, only 1 person (me) has been working on this for about 6 months now (since last September). There's going to be bumps in the road (and for the record, Mozilla had their fair share of broken playback on sites, media-related crashes, etc. too). So while it is taking more time that I would like it to, I am working on it, but I'm also only one person. Unfortunately it isn't as simple as just updating a few lines of code and we're suddenly spec-compliant. As mentioned above, this endeavor is essentially a complete re-write of much of our media code as a whole.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2017-04-04, 23:57

Travis, do you mind if I take your explanation to write a FAQ entry/announcement to explain this to all our users?
It would be a good idea to answer all these threads people create for every time they run into video playback issues.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

trava90
Contributing developer
Contributing developer

Unread post by trava90 » 2017-04-05, 04:07

Moonchild wrote:Travis, do you mind if I take your explanation to write a FAQ entry/announcement to explain this to all our users?
It would be a good idea to answer all these threads people create for every time they run into video playback issues.
Not at all!

rabnbeinn
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by rabnbeinn » 2017-04-05, 13:52

trava90 wrote:For Pale Moon, only 1 person (me) has been working on this for about 6 months now (since last September).
That's what I call dedication :thumbup:

John connor

Unread post by John connor » 2017-04-05, 23:00

Why the hell can't websites just use HTML5 and be done with it? All this code crap is non sense and Flash needs to GO!