Fun stuff: crazy UA strings overrides

General discussion and chat (archived)
KNTRO

Fun stuff: crazy UA strings overrides

Unread post by KNTRO » 2016-12-17, 13:16

Hi all,

I went to about:config and rode the site specific user agent strings overrides. All of them were modified as:

Code: Select all

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.0 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.0.3
At first sight, this UA works for most of the sites*, so maybe a review of which websites still need these overrides would be a great idea.

Then, I found that some —supposed— demanding websites for latest web browsers' state of the art technologies, actually care very little. :P Here are some examples* of the minimal user agent strings needed for every website to work.

general.useragent.override.calendar.yahoo.com
Gecko/ Firefox/1.0

general.useragent.override.chase.com
Gecko Firefox/35

general.useragent.override.gaming.youtube.com
Gecko Firefox/35

general.useragent.override.privat24.ua
Firefox/25

general.useragent.override.web.de
Firefox/50

This is fun: if you use any of the Pale Moon's regular user agent strings with those sites, they're gonna tell you —in its homepages— that you're using an outdated/unsupported web browser, but if you use those silly UA strings in its homepages, they won't advice you a thing! WTF?! :wtf:

* = I didn't log in every website though. Only loaded the homepage of everyone of them.

John connor

Re: Fun stuff: crazy UA strings overrides

Unread post by John connor » 2016-12-18, 03:10

UA sniffing is bull shit.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Fun stuff: crazy UA strings overrides

Unread post by Moonchild » 2016-12-18, 03:14

Of course crazy UA strings are going to work if you find out what substring their sniffer is going to check for. It doesn't have to be a common string at all, as long as it "matches" what they check on.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite