FF vulnerabilities scare ?

General discussion and chat (archived)
kutewarrior

FF vulnerabilities scare ?

Unread post by kutewarrior » 2016-12-01, 15:31

I came across this Hacker News thread and it listed down the various vulnerabilities Firefox has.

This thread kinda worries me. I know that the codebase for Pale Moon is different from Firefox, but I just want to know in general is Pale Moon significantly affected by the numerous vulnerabilities ?

Cheers.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: FF vulnerabilities scare ?

Unread post by satrow » 2016-12-01, 16:01

A quick look at today's posts would have found this new Announcement: viewtopic.php?f=1&p=99324#p99324

kutewarrior

Unread post by kutewarrior » 2016-12-01, 17:38

satrow wrote:A quick look at today's posts would have found this new Announcement: viewtopic.php?f=1&p=99324#p99324
I saw that, but there were some older vulnerabilities in the list.. not sure if it is already been addressed ? Well, maybe it is just the paranoid me rising once again.. However, that announcement definitely gives me some peace of mind :thumbup:

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Unread post by satrow » 2016-12-01, 18:04

From the latest Release notes:
Security highlights:

All relevant security fixes up to and including Firefox 50 have been ported across from Mozilla to continue to provide an as secure as possible browser.
Several libraries have been updated to their latest versions to pick up any important vulnerability fixes.
There's a new option and control to determine whether to save zone information (marking files as "downloaded from the Internet") on downloaded files (Windows+NTFS). You can find this in Options.
With the older Release Notes, it's not uncommon to find, in addition to keeping level with Firefox where relevant, Defence in Depth fixes and library updates/patches, to ensure that Pale Moon is as secure as possible. When it comes to HTTPS connections, Pale Moon warns and/or disallows connections to insecure servers that FF/Chrome can allow without any obvious warning.

Stripping out unused and archaic code is also high on the list.

Security and stability are the highest priorities for the Pale Moon dev. team.

kutewarrior

Unread post by kutewarrior » 2016-12-02, 17:19

Thanks for the clear and concise response, it is much appreciated :)