IE9 Maze solver - IMPROVED! Finally.

General discussion and chat (archived)
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: IE9 Maze solver - IMPROVED! Finally.

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-21, 09:50

stravinsky wrote:bug #641341 bug #641340 bug #691945 bug #691651 bug #776190

some of the related bugs.
What i gather from these bugs is that its not a matter of image quality. But of repainting all the elements when a single element changes.
Moonchild, take a look at them. You can understand much better than me what they are trying to do.
I'm aware of the behavior and the "bugs" to implement delta-redrawing (determining the area that has changed and redrawing that area only). The problem is still not that the painting methodology is wrong, but that the way the maze drawing is set up is wrong/poorly programmed. It is a matter of image quality because this makes the resizing expensive in terms of CPU. "Solutions" for this problem are workarounds to mitigate poor web programming, not real solutions. Personally, I think they shouldn't do that.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-08-21, 14:33

speaking of workarounds, many of their bugs are basically workarounds or juggling of stuff because they cant/wont implement multithreading.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-08-21, 17:03

From the looks of it, the fix will not come around until Fx 18.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-22, 00:23

stravinsky wrote:many of their bugs are basically workarounds or juggling of stuff because they cant/wont implement multithreading
Parallelizing code isn't that easy, and definitely not having to do this on an already existing engine. You can't just dump a task on a new thread when execution of this kind of code has to follow a somewhat linear path.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite