Differences between Pale Moon and Firefox

General discussion and chat (archived)
Tallpaultn

Differences between Pale Moon and Firefox

Unread post by Tallpaultn » 2012-08-19, 05:01

Overall, the only thing, I've found here is Pale Moon Browser, which after several tweaks is a suitable browser to go out to dinner with, but not really anything to get overly excited about since Mozilla Firefox is the original Gecko Browser, in my world, which I've been using since the beginning & is closing the gap very rapidly on Pale Moon Browser. Of course, competition is a really good thing... :)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Differences between Pale Moon and Firefox

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-19, 08:47

Tallpaultn wrote:Mozilla Firefox is the original Gecko Browser [...] & is closing the gap very rapidly on Pale Moon Browser. Of course, competition is a really good thing... :)
Performance-wise, yes, since certain code can only be executed so fast. At least when it comes to benchmarking scores.
The problem is that benchmarks are showing less and less of a conclusive result about the overall performance. The gap, build-wise, remains almost just as large, since Firefox is built for code size and compatibility, not using streaming SIMD instructions, while Pale Moon is built for code speed, and requiring SSE2 - globally, meaning in every part of the browser. You have to realize that the components measured in javascript-heavy tests lean heavily on 1 or 2 libraries that only form a small, even if important, part of the browser. They will never show you the difference in performance in code that lays outside the js subsystem, where the gap between Pale Moon and Firefox is significantly larger. Why? Because the javascript engine is optimized to a very low level (close to hardware machine code), with lots of in-line assembly to get the fastest possible execution of base functions. The rest of the browser has not seen anywhere near this kind of fine-grained coding done, mainly because that would be such a massive task it's just not feasible.

But you'll also find that Firefox is veering off on a tangent to do all sorts of things a browser, in my opinion, has no business doing, like trying to be a pseudo-OS, being a fully-fledged website development environment (devtools are never used by the vast majority of people using a browser), etc.
In addition, with Australis around the corner, the gap between Pale Moon and Firefox will become very large for the average user, as Firefox will end up really like a Chrome clone in UI, while I will keep the current UI.

Although on one side, the gap is getting a little smaller, the gap will become much larger on the other side.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

stravinsky

Unread post by stravinsky » 2012-08-19, 09:11

Tallpaultn wrote:Overall, the only thing, I've found here is Pale Moon Browser, which after several tweaks is a suitable browser to go out to dinner with, but not really anything to get overly excited about since Mozilla Firefox is the original Gecko Browser, in my world, which I've been using since the beginning & is closing the gap very rapidly on Pale Moon Browser. Of course, competition is a really good thing... :)
dunno what the developer thinks, but i do not think PM and FF are "competitors" . They are siblings.
Just like Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu are not "competitors" of each other.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-08-19, 10:48

stravinsky wrote:dunno what the developer thinks, but i do not think PM and FF are "competitors" . They are siblings.
Just like Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu/Lubuntu are not "competitors" of each other.
Fully correct. Pale Moon and Firefox have slightly different goals (and in most cases a different audience). I'm not trying to contest Firefox's place with Pale Moon, as it will work better for some users, just like Pale Moon will work better for some users, when the two are compared.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite