Pale Moon on iOS?

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
KNTRO

Pale Moon on iOS?

Unread post by KNTRO » 2015-01-03, 12:22

Hi all! Happy New Year 2015!

I'm not sure if this is the right subforum to ask such a question —please, forgive me if it isn't and move this topic to the proper subforum if needed—.

Now that Firefox will be available on iOS —perhaps—, is there any chance we have Pale Moon on iOS as well, built from iOS' Firefox source code as first?

Thank you.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon on iOS?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-03, 12:39

iOS is a closed operating system - I don't think there will be an option for Pale Moon to get on that OS because Pale Moon is Gecko-based and Apple does not allow that.
Making a shell around Apple's own JS and rendering engine is developing a completely different product. Simply re-branding the future iOS Firefox to "be on the OS" is very much a grey area that I don't want to go into.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2015-01-04, 05:27

Firefox on iOS will be "fake"-Firefox anyway.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2015-01-05, 06:17

I don't think that Apple will open the chance that people use another browser and then stop to send private data to their servers (like any good i-whatever does) and send these valuable marketing info to a competitor (cough Yahoo! from the deal Firefox-Yahoo). I think that this "browser" will be a fancy shell for safari engine.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-05, 10:37

lobocursor wrote:I think that this "browser" will be a fancy shell for safari engine.
It will - it will be forced to use the iOS parser&renderer, and the iOS javascript engine. So it will just be a front-end.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

V Tora Bisu V

Unread post by V Tora Bisu V » 2017-02-04, 04:04

I would love to see someone fork Firefox for iOS into a Pale Moon for iOS. I don't care if its using Webkit. As long as I can access my Pale Moon data, I'm happy!