Warning - Beta Migration tool V2.

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
Chrome

Warning - Beta Migration tool V2.

Unread post by Chrome » 2012-03-17, 01:22

In the beta Migration tool v2, the check boxes to not behave as expected.

I only wanted to migrate bookmarks, so I only checked bookmarks. The migration tool cleared everything I didn't check - erasing my addons, open tabs, and history.

My backup was a zip file which for whatever reason did not contain any folders - aka no extensions backed up.
After migrating a full ff I ran the zip again, same thing, "add to PaleMoon.zip" it did backup everything... dunno why it didn't work the first time.

TBH I'm beyond frustrated with ff, I hate it and want to move to Chrome but a few addons are preventing totally annyhilation of FF from my system.
Addons are what made firefox great - but the ff devs constantly break them, Addon Devs constantly update to "fix" their code. This last year ofc worse than ever.

I *always* recommend Chrome, *never* firefox, because of this disregard to customer satisfaction. As a member of the computer industry, I have this opportunity often, and spread the word as much as possible. 500 or so down, 150m users to go.

/rant in the wrong place.

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: Warning - Beta Migration tool V2.

Unread post by satrow » 2012-03-17, 01:58

Note: Please close both Firefox and Pale Moon before attempting to migrate your profiles. Not doing so may cause an incomplete transfer or give errors.

If this tool, for whatever reason, doesn't work for you, please check the Troubleshooting section on this site for instructions on how to manually copy over a profile.

Migration tool v2 beta:
Currently in beta is a more advanced version of the migration tool, which will give you more control of what to copy, and wherefrom/whereto. Please make sure to make backups before you try to use this tool (making backups of your profiles is a good idea, anyway). If you run into problems, please let me know through the feedback form, so I can look into it and fix it.
Did you not read and follow the above and/or the popup that occurs before committing your selections?

I note your partial acknowledgement ("/rant in the wrong place.") that you don't always do the things logically/correctly, is your post not just a rant at yourself for not checking all steps and safeguards before committing the actions ;) ?

Chrome

Unread post by Chrome » 2012-03-17, 05:27

You replied without addressing the applicable issue:
The tool does not state that it will erase the unchecked items.

As far as your lame attempt at insults?
1. No, I don't always verify that ZIP actually worked. Not having a backup, as I have made clear, is not the fault of PM. Your comments do not apply.
2. I came here to point out a potential disaster for people using the tool, and chose to add a rant about ff in general, so what? Don't give me crap about logic.

Indalecio

Unread post by Indalecio » 2012-03-17, 06:05

Tone this conversation down a few notches, please. There will never be any progress made on any front if things are handled improperly. Can we dial it back to before hurt feelings are made worse and start again with a little less venom and a little more tact? I'll have to move this to General Discussion if this turns into a debate on browsers.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-03-17, 06:26

Chrome wrote:You replied without addressing the applicable issue:
The tool does not state that it will erase the unchecked items.

As far as your lame attempt at insults?
1. No, I don't always verify that ZIP actually worked. Not having a backup, as I have made clear, is not the fault of PM. Your comments do not apply.
2. I came here to point out a potential disaster for people using the tool, and chose to add a rant about ff in general, so what? Don't give me crap about logic.
Do not sweat it.
Giving a report on the product will help addressing in the future. After all, as Cymroly has stated "This is only a Beta."

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-03-17, 09:06

One important thing to note: the profile migration tool is a tool to copy over the profile from Firefox to a new installation. It is not a tool to merge profiles or synchronize bookmarks, that is what the inbuilt sync functionality is for in Pale Moon, as well as being able to import .json backups and .html export files of bookmarks.

This should already be clear to anyone using the tool for its intended purpose: Migrating over an existing Firefox profile to a new Pale Moon installation, removing any defaults that may be present in the target profile location to prevent interference.

As already remarked, the tool is also in beta, and needs more work to become the tool of choice. It has been put on the back-burner because Mozilla's rapid release schedule leaves less time for support programs and the main browser will at all times keep focus.

Please do keep your temper in check and don't blame the project as a whole for a miscellaneous beta tool that is provided as a convenience being incomplete or having things that are unclear.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-03-17, 11:37

I've made sure to add a note to the webpage with the tool just in case more people try to use it this way. As it is, the v2 tool has some issues and probably needs a full rewrite.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite