Pale Moon Sync

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Pale Moon Sync

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2014-08-05, 16:01

Why not a local Sync?

I would love to do what I can already do between computers: simply copy my profile. I don't want to register and create an account, be it with Sync 1.1, 1.5... or 5.0.

The idea – in theory – seems simple: connect the telephone or tablet through the USB port, then start an application like "Pale Moon Transfer" that would take elements from my computer's Pale Moon Profile (bookmarks, passwords, maybe even history) and would transfer them to my mobile profile. For most people, this would be much simpler than setting my own Sync server.

A little bit like the Pale Moon Profile Migration Tool.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-08-05, 16:57

Moonchild wrote:I'll still be looking into a more "native" solution, and am actually making progress with FSyncMS (you can try it out by using a custom server, https://pmsync.palemoon.net/sync/ ) which would be preferable and likely less fragile (since it's nginx/php/mysql).
Will this URL eventually replace the current server URL for Pale Moon Sync?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-05, 17:52

Antonius32 wrote:
Moonchild wrote:I'll still be looking into a more "native" solution, and am actually making progress with FSyncMS (you can try it out by using a custom server, https://pmsync.palemoon.net/sync/ ) which would be preferable and likely less fragile (since it's nginx/php/mysql).
Will this URL eventually replace the current server URL for Pale Moon Sync?
If it turns out to be acceptable and full-featured enough, yes. But it seems to be missing a few things that likely need to be implemented yet (lost password and delete account).
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-05, 17:56

mgagnonlv wrote:Why not a local Sync?

I would love to do what I can already do between computers: simply copy my profile. I don't want to register and create an account, be it with Sync 1.1, 1.5... or 5.0.
The only reason an account needs to be created is so the sync server knows it's really you, and what to send you. In sync 1.1, anyway. Even if someone else logs into your account by hacking it, the only thing that can be done is at most delete synced data, they can't recover any of it. (Unlike sync 1.5 where all your data is fair game once your account is compromised).

Local sync, well, you don't really need to do much for that at all, mobile devices already have USB storage capabilities so you can already do this local sharing if you want.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-09, 19:41

UPDATE: I've worked more on the alternative version of Sync and I'm confident that it's going to be a better alternative solution than Mozilla's python implementation of weave.

I will add it as the default Sync server in the next version of Pale Moon and will retire the old one at that time.

What currently works:
  • Setting up a new account
  • Connecting to an existing account
  • Connecting to an existing account when you don't have a linked device with you
  • Pairing a device with a 12 character code
  • Changing your password from a linked sync client
  • Viewing your usage
  • Changing your recovery key (including when you're setting Sync up "I lost my other device")
  • Resetting your Sync account
  • Storing synced data on the server
  • Syncing data between devices :D
  • Password encryption (using bcrypt)
What doesn't work yet (I could use some help from a PHP/MySQL programmer for this):
  • Resetting your password (via e-mail)
  • Deleting your account and data
Attachments
Random screenshot.
Random screenshot.

mikeysc

Unread post by mikeysc » 2014-08-09, 20:46

Re: https://pmsync.palemoon.net/sync/

Tried using that server url in the Sync Sign Up dialog, and got:
"Please eneter a valid server url" (with Next button disabled)
I tried opening same link in page and got this:
"Invalid request, this was not a firefox sync request!"
using PM non-Firefox-compatible UA. (did not test w/ compatibility enabled)

No problem, just thought this might be useful feedback.

Antonius32
Add-ons Team
Add-ons Team

Unread post by Antonius32 » 2014-08-09, 23:03

Moonchild wrote:UPDATE: I've worked more on the alternative version of Sync and I'm confident that it's going to be a better alternative solution than Mozilla's python implementation of weave.
Great, that's good news!
Moonchild wrote:What doesn't work yet: (...)
Will this be an option within the UI, or will users have to visit a web page (similar to https://account.services.mozilla.com/)?

LimboSlam
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by LimboSlam » 2014-08-10, 06:24

Would someone plz help me!

Can I sign in to my PM account without actually pairing a device (android, iphone, smatphone or any other cells)?? Asking because I can't seen to login to just other desktops, laptops or even my ipad. All I want is to be able to login into my account and access my data (history, passwords, preferences, bookmarks, add-ons) and to be in control of it basically anywhere, without pairing a device. I guess I want it similar to how chrome does it. Is that possible??

PS: this waz before the sync problems
With Pale Moon by my side, surfing the web is quite enjoyable and takes my headaches away! :)
God is not punishing you, He is preparing you. Trust His plan, not your pain.#‎TrentShelton #‎RehabTime

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-08-10, 07:19

LimboSlam wrote:Would someone plz help me!

Can I sign in to my PM account without actually pairing a device (android, iphone, smatphone or any other cells)?? Asking because I can't seen to login to just other desktops, laptops or even my ipad. All I want is to be able to login into my account and access my data (history, passwords, preferences, bookmarks, add-ons) and to be in control of it basically anywhere, without pairing a device. I guess I want it similar to how chrome does it. Is that possible??

PS: this waz before the sync problems
No, additionally the account no longer exists.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-10, 07:26

That URL is no longer valid. It never really worked as it should in the first place.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-10, 07:30

Antonius32 wrote:
Moonchild wrote:What doesn't work yet: (...)
Will this be an option within the UI, or will users have to visit a web page (similar to https://account.services.mozilla.com/)?
It'll be similar to the old sync in that you have to visit a page, and the server scripting will take care of removing it from the database.
You'll have to log in with your sync account credentials.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-10, 11:35

LimboSlam wrote:Can I sign in to my PM account without actually pairing a device (android, iphone, smatphone or any other cells)?? Asking because I can't seen to login to just other desktops, laptops or even my ipad. All I want is to be able to login into my account and access my data (history, passwords, preferences, bookmarks, add-ons) and to be in control of it basically anywhere, without pairing a device. I guess I want it similar to how chrome does it. Is that possible??
Sync is NOT a backup service. It's not designed to be one. It's designed to synchronize data (make things available) between different devices or copies of Pale Moon on different computers, e.g. desktop and laptop.

It looks like I'll have to make an explanatory page what sync is and what it is not ;)

EnDaFresh01

Unread post by EnDaFresh01 » 2014-08-14, 04:38

Is there any update on the status of Sync and whether it has been successfully implemented or not?
I've attempted to use it (completely fresh Pale Moon, no previous settings or addons or anything) and I keep getting errors regarding 'incorrect password'. Once I was able to 'successfully' change it through the dialog but it then went right back to giving me the 'incorrect password' error when trying to sync.

So is it working? Broken? Being worked on? Just a status update would be nice ^_^

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-14, 09:52

It's being worked on.

MalBourne

Unread post by MalBourne » 2014-08-16, 00:59

Hello,

I've been trying with much frustration to set up PM Sync.
I've got as far as being able to set up an account but fail when it comes to adding another device to sync with.
I get an error saying wrong username/password, so I set up a different account with a different email address.
Unfortunately the password recovery process is just as frustrating to use.
So now, I've run out of email addresses from trying to set up new accounts and I still can't pair another device.

I would like to know how can I have my email addresses removed from the register / accounts deleted so I can try to set up an account.

Regards,
Mal

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-16, 10:15

Deleting an account should work through the following form: https://sync.palemoon.net/weave-delete-account

MalBourne

Unread post by MalBourne » 2014-08-16, 11:48

Thanks,
That seemed to work as I did get the Account Deleted message.
Regards.

EnDaFresh01

Unread post by EnDaFresh01 » 2014-08-18, 05:49

Much appreciated, MC!
Sync is working on my end now. ^_^

purpleu

Unread post by purpleu » 2014-08-22, 04:14

Hi,

I still encounter this sync error saying that "incorrect account name or password". How should I fix that? Thanks

1Nighter

Unread post by 1Nighter » 2014-09-15, 18:16

I assume Sync is still inoperable. At any rate I can't create an account because of the password issues herein described. It's been almost a month since an update here. I'm wondering about a workaround or a note as to the current status.

Thanks.