Pale Moon Sync

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
pierro78

Re: Pale Moon Sync

Unread post by pierro78 » 2014-09-15, 19:56

1Nighter wrote:I assume Sync is still inoperable. At any rate I can't create an account because of the password issues herein described. It's been almost a month since an update here. I'm wondering about a workaround or a note as to the current status.

Thanks.
maybe try v25 which works with the new sync : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5599

1Nighter

Unread post by 1Nighter » 2014-09-15, 23:39

I installed palemoon-25.0b2.en-US.android-arm.apk from PM ftp site on my HTC One. On the PC I'm running PM 24.7.2. I'm unable to create a sync acct.
Attachments
Capture2.JPG

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-09-15, 23:54

Pale Moon v25 desktop and mobile uses a completely different sync server and implementation. While it is still Sync 1.1 it is separate from the one used in v24.x. You will have to recreate your sync account.

1Nighter

Unread post by 1Nighter » 2014-09-16, 00:41

I did create a new acct. At which time I saw the above error.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-16, 00:46

If you created the sync account on desktop, you are using the unstable server. This information (including what server to use) gets passed over to mobile if you use the "quick setup" (pairing) method.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

DAC324

Unread post by DAC324 » 2014-09-16, 07:28

Hello,
Moonchild wrote:If you created the sync account on desktop, you are using the unstable server. This information (including what server to use) gets passed over to mobile if you use the "quick setup" (pairing) method.
Please allow me two questions:

1. Which one is the "stable server" and how do I make sure that it is used?
2. Where do I have to enter the pairing code on a mobile device? I was not able to find the corresponding settings page.

Finally:
1Nighter wrote:I installed palemoon-25.0b2.en-US.android-arm.apk from PM ftp site on my HTC One.
I was not able to find this version on ftp://ftp.palemoon.org/ . There are only the 24.7.1 and 24.7.2 versions. I understand that 25.x is a beta but where can it be downloaded?

Thank you and kind regards,

DAC324

1Nighter

Unread post by 1Nighter » 2014-09-16, 12:31

DAC324, Actually, I got this ver. from: ftp://publicbeta:get@ftp.palemoon.org/p ... id-arm.apk

The pairing method mentioned by moonchild failed, probably because I was unable to successfully create an account, though the server does know the email I used. I know this because it returns msg that it's already in use when trying again to generate an acct.

Here are the steps I followed just now. In PC sync tab of options click unlink this device. That brings up a dialogue where I clicked I have an acct. Then you see three fields that I fill in with the code generated from the HTC One/PM browser. There just clicked on the message at the bottom of the home screen offering sync. The PC returns the message "please try again."

Perhaps, and its not clear to me what I've read about the server vs. the way data is handled with the "pairing" method, if one just keeps trying, eventually you'll hit a space on the "server" where it does work.

Surely this will get resolved eventually. I'm patient. I've lived without sync before. I'm just grateful to be able to use Pale Moon products.
Attachments
Capture2.JPG

DAC324

Unread post by DAC324 » 2014-09-16, 14:04

Hi 1nighter,

thank you very much for the information and the link.

Seems that now I figured it all out.

The most important thing is that you will have to disable any language pack in Pale Moon before setting up sync. It seems that, for example, the German language pack refers to the Mozilla Sync servers which are not used by Pale Moon.

On the PC, I have two options for setting up Sync:

At first, I will have to set up Sync (first option):
As I already have an account, I will have to log in there.
Problem is that I did not know where the recovery key is:
So I chose "I have lost my other device" and so I got a new recovery key, which, of course, I exported and saved before proceeding.
After I then confirmed to change the recovery key to the newly created one, the sync started and I got the beloved "Setup completed" page displayed.
Now, I could choose which items to be synched and also "pair a device" which, at that time, made more sense.

On the mobile, you only get the option to pair the device if you click Settings, Sync. I now was able to enter the codes from the mobile on the PC and, indeed, got a success message.

So now, let's keep fingers crossed that the sync indeed works ;)

Kind regards and thank you once again,

DAC324

1Nighter

Unread post by 1Nighter » 2014-09-16, 16:55

I continue to get password error because, I guess, the server is "unstable". I did try, in options, content tab, on the PC, as suggested above, remove all English language packs (leaving the field blank), but it didn't help. Strange that the server remembers my email but can't eat passwords. At one point I had used up all my email addresses and was able to use this link https://sync.palemoon.net/weave-delete-account to remove them. I'm now back up to two accounts but still can't get past the password issue.

DAC324

Unread post by DAC324 » 2014-09-16, 17:29

Hi 1Nighter,

just check: What server does the "Create new account" window display? Is it "Mozilla Sync server" or "Pale Moon Sync server"? I also had the password issue when the German language pack was active which caused "Mozilla Sync server" to be displayed.

To disable any language pack:
Type

Code: Select all

about:config
into the address bar, confirm the security warning and search for

Code: Select all

general.useragent.locale
Make a mental note of what the value is (you will need it later). Right click this entry and choose "Reset". This should cause the entry to be reset to the default "en-US". Restart Pale Moon afterwards.
You can then re-enable your language pack at the same location (about:config) later on once the sync has been set up successfully, using the value you saved before.

Kind regards,

DAC324

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-16, 19:30

The language packs simply call it Firefox Sync but that's just for display. It won't make a difference for the actual use of server.

I'm sorry if you guys get impatient with not having Sync right now, but the Mozilla python-based mess of a server can't magically be made stable.
If you really want to, you can pre-empt release 25 by trying the alternate sync server that will be used. Note that it may still see a reset of data or 2 before release (meaning you lose your synced data and account and have to recreate it) as some things are still being worked out. It's a custom server url of https://pmsync.palemoon.net/sync/index.php/ - enter it exactly as shown.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

1Nighter

Unread post by 1Nighter » 2014-09-16, 20:30

DAC324 wrote:What server does the "Create new account" window display? Is it "Mozilla Sync server" or "Pale Moon Sync server"?
Pale Moon Sync server

Without going into about:config and with the language field in options/content populated with English US, I tried again just now, after again removing my accounts [I'll never understand how you can remove an account using a password that was rejected during creation of said account] to create a new account. It didn't choke on my password this time and I was able to pair my HTC One device. I got messages on both ends that sync was in progress.

Whew!

Thanks DAC324

1Nighter

Unread post by 1Nighter » 2014-09-16, 22:02

Moonchild wrote:I'm sorry if you guys get impatient with not having Sync right now, but the Mozilla python-based mess of a server can't magically be made stable.
Didn't really mean to convey impatience. Sorry. Maybe persistence instead. My sync was successful. I really like the speed of the Android Pale Moon and am glad to move away from Firefox on my two Win7 boxes, and Linux, and now, Android.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-29, 19:55

Pale Moon Sync has been taken off-line completely until such time as Pale Moon 25 will be released (which will use an alternative implementation of the Sync service). This has unfortunately become necessary due to continued instability and server load issues caused by the Mozilla Labs Sync implementation in python.

DAC324

Unread post by DAC324 » 2014-09-29, 20:07

Moonchild wrote:Pale Moon Sync has been taken off-line completely until such time as Pale Moon 25 will be released (which will use an alternative implementation of the Sync service). This has unfortunately become necessary due to continued instability and server load issues caused by the Mozilla Labs Sync implementation in python.
That's a pity. Is there a chance that the alternative implementation of the Sync service will also be incorporated in the Pale Moon Android version?

Thank you very much.
DAC324

danielson
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by danielson » 2014-09-30, 00:33

No rush...

Even Firefox (meaning Mozilla) has its syncing issues.
Deleting history etc. from your desktop browser might not be good enough.
It eventually comes back.
Not sure, but i think you have to clear history from Android device as well.
Still testing.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-09-30, 05:18

DAC324 wrote:That's a pity. Is there a chance that the alternative implementation of the Sync service will also be incorporated in the Pale Moon Android version?
Unless you set up sync manually on Android, it should pick up the new one automatically if you link it with your desktop, even if you wouldn't be running v25 on Android.

Do note it will involve creating a new account on the new server when released.

LucyVan

Unread post by LucyVan » 2015-05-19, 14:03

It has been awhile since anyone has posted to this thread and I can't seem to find the answer to my question anywhere else so here it is.

When I go to my Tools and click Sync Now, nothing seems to happen. Is it actually syncing? Is sync automatic? I have my desktop and laptop set to sync but this lack of indication that it is working has me puzzled.

Thanks so much,
LucyVan

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-05-20, 08:15

Yes, syncing happens automatically and in the background. Clicking "Sync now" will simply queue up a synchronization immediately instead of at the next normal interval, and should normally only be used if you just added bookmarks/history that you want to be sure you get synced right at that moment.

If you want an indicator, right-click a control (e.g.: the home button) and select "customize...", and drag the "Sync" icon to the location of your choice (suggestion: status bar)

davenz

Unread post by davenz » 2015-08-22, 02:04

I have been using Pale Moon for longer than I can remember on multiple platforms (ditching Opera after years of faithfully supporting and using that browser until they blew it and sold out to create Opera Chrome) and it amazes me that people would consider sync a deal-breaker as to whether they continue using PM or not. In my opinion, if someone is not competent enough to be able to manually export/copy bookmarks or passwords from one device to the other then they shouldn't be using PM anyway (maybe a Mac would be more suitable).

As to the sync server, I'm far too thick to be able to offer any technical help in implementing or supporting something as complicated-sounding as this server system, but I would be more than willing to chip in a donation to get in a professional coder to help Moonchild get a decent and stable server setup up and running. It obviously means a lot to many people and while I use the sync feature, it is by no means a show-stopper for me if I can't automatically sync my settings, a few bookmarks or page history RIGHT NOW.

#My2cents