Pale Moon Sync

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon Sync

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-08-22, 23:00

People need to realize that the Sync service is a free service for their convenience. It's in fact one of my biggest expense posts for server costs to have it available, and no guarantee can be given that it will be available indefinitely (see also the terms of service for it) or without interruption.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

LucyVan

Unread post by LucyVan » 2015-08-23, 16:57

I certainly understand your position on this. I love Pale Moon whether it syncs or not. it is the best browser around!

Night Wing
Knows the dark side
Knows the dark side

Unread post by Night Wing » 2015-08-23, 17:58

LucyVan wrote:I love Pale Moon whether it syncs or not. it is the best browser around!
I'm in agreement with you.

BTW, I have 4 computers and I do not sync any of them to each other. (For some reason, I just never seem to run with the rest of the pack. ;) )
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce w/ Linux Pale Moon, Linux Waterfox, Linux SeaLion, Linux Firefox

CharmCityCrab

Unread post by CharmCityCrab » 2015-08-23, 21:29

You know, it occurs to me that if the Mozilla Foundation had stayed a non-profit with no corporate arm and was more committed to it's founding ideals versus the marketing of it's browser, they might do things like provide server space for browsers that meet certain criteria (i.e. open-source, no-cost, non-profit, support HTML5, etc.) to use for syncing at a no-cost.

That's not really practical help, I guess.

I wonder if there might be the possibility of some sort of joint foundation created by browsers not backed by large corporations to share resources like servers.

Would some of the free software people like GNU, EFF, various Linux distributions, and so on and so forth maybe be worthwhile people to inquire to about some sort of cost sharing or free server use?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-08-23, 23:01

Considering the relatively high percentage of opinionated people in the Open Source communities each with their own vision of how things should preferably be done (hence there being a huge number of Linux distributions, for example), sharing server resources sounds like a terrible headache I'd rather avoid. We'd probably end up having more heated discussions about trivial matters than actually doing something constructive.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

crowning

Unread post by crowning » 2015-09-24, 14:43

Moonchild wrote:
inventif wrote:I may simply be forced to build a sync 1.5 client into Pale moon and be done with it, because at this rate, things simply not working, is not a good way to go about it either.
Hello,
I've just switched from Firefox to Pale Moon and got 2 questions:
  • I'm still having my own Sync 1.1 (Weave) server running. I assume it will also run with Pale Moon (after creating a new account)?
  • even if you should switch to Sync 1.5 (which I personally hate because I set up my own server and it's even less stable than the 1.1 server) could you please (and opposed to what Firefox did) keep Sync 1.1?

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2015-09-24, 19:04

crowning.. You are in LUCK! We also dislike Sync 1.5 and Pale Moon will indeed work with your Sync 1.1 setup and we will continue to use Sync 1.1 because it is more secure than 1.5! This decision is actually the very reason we run our own Sync server so we will not be affected by what MozCo does!