[3rd Party Contrib] Pale Moon "Sumozi" AND PM4XP64

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
New Tobin Paradigm

[3rd Party Contrib] Pale Moon "Sumozi" AND PM4XP64

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-06-05, 23:54

To silence detractors of Pale Moon for reasons of disabling things like Accessibility and WebRTC (and those few people who insist on using Windows XP x64) I plan on building 2 contributed versions.

The main one I am calling "Sumozi" (Previously Codename: "ESR-Parity") this will be a version of Pale Moon which will not disable (will renable?) particular features that some have used as an excuse to bash or simply not use Pale Moon. Those being Accessibility, Parental Controls, WebRTC and WebSMS Backend. This build will also have pdfjs enabled by default and maybe a few other items.

"Sumozi" will have three builds: Windows XP and up x86 version, Vista and up x64 version, and a Windows XP x64 specific version.

By contributing these builds with the same Pale Moon build optimizations with the mainline Firefox features not disabled I can provide a supplicant to the ever growing rich ecosystem of Pale Moon builds. This will hopefully also have the effect of removing some of the MozFan Boy's ammo they have been firing at Pale Moon. Also for those people who REALLY do need those features we can have them covered without compromising the mainline PM build.

PART 2 of this is a normal Moonchild-alike default build of Pale Moon built specifically for those people who insist on using Windows XP x64. (and do not want the extra features enabled by "ESR-Parity". Since I will be building for XP64 specifically anyway it is trivial to do so for normal Pale Moon configuration as well). This and the "ESR-Parity" XP64 build will ONLY be maintained as long as Moonchild continues to also target XP32.

Stay tuned for the first test builds of these two concepts with unofficial "New Moon" branding.
Off-topic:
Should be put up after 24.6 is released because that is the codebase these will be built from.
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2014-06-12, 02:34, edited 3 times in total.

hitokage
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: 3rd Party Contrib: Codename: "ESR-Parity" and "xp64"

Unread post by hitokage » 2014-06-06, 05:20

I guess I'll give your XP64 build a try when you release it. Out of all the machines I support, only one has it - unfortunately it's mine.

If in-place upgrades weren't so problematic on Windows it would be easier for me to get out of the way. Between that and the amount of time I know I'll be spending tweaking Windows 7 to the way I want I'm procrastinating.

New Tobin Paradigm

Re: [3rd Party Contrib] Pale Moon "Sumozi" AND PM4XP64

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-06-08, 23:27

This is the first (unbranded) test builds of what was referenced before as Codename: ESR-Parity now called "Sumozi"!

These two builds are ONLY for XP 32bit and up and Vista 64bit and up (like normal Pale Moon). They contain similar compiler optimizations as the main-line product.

I would appreciate any feedback and reports on how well they function. I can only test so far on my own system.

EDIT: Removed due to being obsolete! - Check for the release thread...

Also, the XP64 specific test version will be forthcoming along with the normal Moonchild-alike build that is identical to main-line except for XP64!
Last edited by New Tobin Paradigm on 2014-06-20, 01:37, edited 1 time in total.

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2014-06-09, 20:59

These test builds are the ones with the features that are disabled(enabled?)?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-09, 21:32

megaman wrote:These test builds are the ones with the features that are disabled(enabled?)?
They should have accessibility, webrtc, etc. flipped on, yup.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-06-11, 23:08

This is the first (unbranded) test build of Pale Moon for Windows XP x64 Edition!

This build is specifically targeted to XP64 and should not be ran on newer versions of Windows x64. However, there should be no problem in and of it's self but it won't run as well due to the lower subsystem target. The configuration used when building is the normal moonchild defaults.

I would appreciate any feedback and reports on how well it functions. I can only test so far on my own system.

New Moon for Windows XP x64 Edition 24.6.1 - Installer | ZIP

steviem1

Unread post by steviem1 » 2014-06-11, 23:39

@mattatobin downloaded New Moon "Sumozi" 24.6.0 x86 running from zip on my machine and after a brief test drive it seems you've done a good job with it so far.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-06-12, 02:26

steviem1 wrote:@mattatobin downloaded New Moon "Sumozi" 24.6.0 x86 running from zip on my machine and after a brief test drive it seems you've done a good job with it so far.
Yeah it isn't something AMAZING to write home about. Neither is the XP64 versions. I just wanted to help by covering some edge cases.

The XP64 versions really isn't a long term project and will be discontinued WHEN main-line Pale Moon stops supporting XP32.

As for Sumozi.. It really is about covering those who may need WebRTC or the accessibility features. There is somewhat a cost though especially on x86. I had to disable one of the compiler flags because of Mozilla's monolithic libxul insanity. There was SO much stuff being linked to one file + optimizations that on x86 the linker was running out of memory due to the x86 limit. It is minor though. x64 is not affected. But it is very good to see these alt versions so that no matter what your use case.. PM and the community has you covered! (now just gotta arrange a mac to be available!)

BTW.. I setup a repo: https://github.com/binoc-software/moonchild-central
Attachments
SourceTree is your friend!
SourceTree is your friend!

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-06-16, 08:06

QUESTION: Should I bundle the Tab Groups extension along with "Sumozi"?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-16, 09:23

mattatobin wrote:QUESTION: Should I bundle the Tab Groups extension along with "Sumozi"?
You could, if you really want to provide as much parity as possible.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2014-06-16, 17:16

It runs great, but where are the Accessibility Options?
Or where do I test these "enabled" features? accessibility, webrtc, etc

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-06-16, 20:55

Well Accessibility needed an option flipped in the branding prefs (fixed now and will be included in the next build). WebRTC is a tough one to test because like no consumer services actually use it right now (hence why it is not included in the main-line build).

NOTE: This thread will be branched off and closed when the two respective products are properly released.

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2014-06-17, 02:18

Cool when you have some download links for 24.6.2 tell me for add it in the "Easy 1-2-3 Palemoon Install in your language" post in Spanish forum. :)

hitokage
Fanatic
Fanatic

Unread post by hitokage » 2014-06-17, 04:17

I gave the XP x64 version a try(24.6.1), seems to work fine in general, but here is a list of some things I noticed.

1- After installing, I was unable to start it because MSVCR110.DLL (x64 version) wasn't included like it is with the regular Pale Moon release - I downloaded the redistributable installer from Microsoft, and all was well.

2 - I'm not sure if this was intentional, but the executable is named palemoon.exe instead of newmoon.exe.

3 - Related to number 2, the about box contains the standard Pale Moon info.

4 - Adobe Flash x64 does actually get installed and seems to work on XP x64 - I think this was also the case in the past when I tried a Japanese x64 version of Firefox 10 ESR once upon a time (changed back to English).

5 - Memory usage seems to be higher with the x6t4 version versus x86. I'm not exactly sure why this would be the case, as I was using the same profile (both weren't running at the same time) with the same tabs open.

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-06-17, 04:30

I am not sure exactly why msvcr isn't included..It is good to hear that flashx64 actually did install and got picked up by it though. I wasn't quite sure about that.

Also new moon branding doesn't change EVERY little thing like the exe name as that is picked up elsewhere. Like firefox with any branding unless explicitly changed will still generate firefox.exe and such. It won't matter anyway since new moon doesn't contain the IP protected branding and the release versions have permission from moonchild to use it.

Also memory usage is going to be a bit higher with 64bit anyway.

Thank you SO much for testing this. Expect a real release in the next few days!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-06-17, 07:06

mattatobin wrote:I am not sure exactly why msvcr isn't included.
Did you remember to include the following in your mozconfig?

Code: Select all

WIN32_REDIST_DIR=$VCINSTALLDIR/redist/x64/Microsoft.VC110.CRT

New Tobin Paradigm

Unread post by New Tobin Paradigm » 2014-06-20, 18:41

Pale Moon "Sumozi" has been released. Please see thread here: http://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4940

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-06-20, 18:58

Good job :thumbup: