For SnG: Microbrowser

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

For SnG: Microbrowser

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-02-07, 08:47

For shits and giggles a proof-of-concept "microbrowser" thrown together in very little time.

one single executable of 652 kB, save and run
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1466747/microbrowser.exe
http://ge.tt/7Cpsr0h/v/0?c

See below for current file location.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

satrow
Forum staff
Forum staff

Re: For SnG: Microbrowser

Unread post by satrow » 2012-02-07, 11:01

Pretty impressive :)

megaman

Unread post by megaman » 2012-02-07, 13:28

Very light and it works, but we cannot navigate when pressing enter. Click click go to get to DuckDuckGo.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-02-07, 17:09

Yeah like I said thrown together in very little time ;P
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

lyceus

Unread post by lyceus » 2012-02-07, 23:17

It is an update to the Neopets browser? XD

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-02-07, 23:30

lobocursor wrote:It is an update to the Neopets browser? XD
Based on the same principle XD
The Neopets browser is pretty much dead though, considering Neopets is a joke anymore

Greenboyb1

Unread post by Greenboyb1 » 2012-04-10, 21:22

Is it open source? If I do a little work could I redistribute it (for free of course)? :?:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-04-11, 11:01

No, it's not open source.
Also, you'd need to buy the RAB (Rapid Application Builder) package I used to be able to compile the application.

Tehg0ph

Unread post by Tehg0ph » 2012-05-03, 16:12

Actually might start using this for the smaller tasks, like searches and research instead of bringing out these hulks Lol
Great job!!! :thumbup:

ElQuia

Unread post by ElQuia » 2012-07-24, 19:18

WOW! :clap:

Just discovered this & already love it. My main browser is a palemoon x64 FULL of very usefull and carefully selected addons, but as we all know that sometimes means it is using 1.5 GB of ram....
So this micro browser is IDEAL for quick html and page viewing, to copy info, bla, bla.

My wishes:
1- go to site on enter.
2- make maximize window button work
3- some way to save preferences, aka, change home page, etc AND make them stiky on close.
4- tabs (with ctrl+clik) or capabilty to use win7 taskbar features

4 is NOT to come at speed memmory use expense... if not leave it.

Just wishes. Even as it is of now I am adopting it as one of my preffered tools. Let's see how it ages and wears out :thumbup:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-25, 07:52

It's for shits&giggles, but if you're actually using it, I can have a look at some of the wishes.
Most likely: 1, 2, and 3 are possible without penalty. 4 is a no go. it won't support tabbed browsing unless I make a serious rewrite and it would use more resources.

ElQuia

Unread post by ElQuia » 2012-07-25, 12:07

Moonchild wrote: 4 is a no go. it won't support tabbed browsing unless I make a serious rewrite and it would use more resources.
I imagined that. It´s OK ;-)

Is capabilty to use win7 taskbar features the same (from the coding point of view) as tabas?

Observations:
5- If I open a link in a new window, in that second or third window the maximize button DOES work, but NOT in the first window.
6- New windows have different back and forward buttons than the original one, (I like the originals) and they have a refresh and stop loading button also

Another wish to add to 1, 2 & 3: Close window on esc (escape)??
CAN beta test if you want!!!! :wave:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-25, 13:37

Win 7 taskbar integration is not an option. To do that I'd have to hook much deeper into the Windows API and it would have to load all sorts of system libraries which I think would be a total waste for something this small ;)

ElQuia

Unread post by ElQuia » 2012-07-25, 15:08

agree

ElQuia

Unread post by ElQuia » 2012-07-26, 16:24

Some sites alert me (when using microb) that my browser is an IE version older than 8 and will not show... bla bla....

¿Does microb use an ie engine?

(I am on 7x64 w IE 9 which I use only when some compatibility issue comes along)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-26, 23:21

Some sites won't properly check browser capabilities and the microbrowser doesn't identify itself as any known browser in the user agent. That's probably the problem. It does use the Windows HTML rendering back-end (that's why I can keep it so small) so in a way it's linked to the version of MSIE you have installed. if you have IE9 though, the sites shouldn't complain; unless they don't actually check the capabilities of the browser.

ElQuia

Unread post by ElQuia » 2012-07-27, 00:02

I know nothing about coding. ¿maybe make microb identify itself as mozilla or whatever is easier?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-27, 07:25

ElQuia wrote:I know nothing about coding. ¿maybe make microb identify itself as mozilla or whatever is easier?
It would be wrong, since it will break a lot of sites in the Windows (IE) rendering engine (it's not very standards compliant) and the workarounds on sites that cater to IE's quirky/broken engine would not kick in.

nevadacrab
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nevadacrab » 2012-07-27, 08:38

ElQuia wrote:....My wishes:
1- go to site on enter.
2- make maximize window button work
3- some way to save preferences, aka, change home page, etc AND make them stiky on close.
4- tabs (with ctrl+clik) or capabilty to use win7 taskbar features
I'd settle for just 1 & 2!

Okay, one more thing: Focus on (and clear) URL bar when clicked on; and/or F6 (or other key combination) functionality to do the same thing.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-27, 12:25

Thanks for the suggestions.
I'll keep it as reference and look at it when I actually have time.
As-is I'm doing the first preliminary work on the next major version of Pale Moon, which of course gets priority.