For SnG: Microbrowser

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
ElQuia

Re: For SnG: Microbrowser

Unread post by ElQuia » 2012-07-27, 13:15

Perfect. Thanks

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2012-07-27, 13:34

It seems Microsoft has not been updating the Windows rendering engine since MSIE7 - so that is what you're stuck with in this microbrowser, even if you have MSIE 8 or 9 installed on your system.

Navigate on enter, clear URL on click and maximize were rather painless to add, so I've made an update to the little thing.
I'm aware that the URL isn't always the URL of the main page you are on - unfortunately this is a limitation of the way I've built this. It gets confused when external scripts/URLs are loaded in a "navigation" way.

Note that I won't be putting more time in this, considering the engine is old and poorly supported and can't easily be changed unless I actually embed a complete and independent HTML rendering engine myself (which is quite opposite the point of this thing ;P)

Same URL: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/1466747/microbrowser.exe
http://ge.tt/7Cpsr0h/v/0?c
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ElQuia

Unread post by ElQuia » 2012-07-27, 16:48

WOW! THANKS for this, will try and be back with feedback, even if you dont update it.
(I am drooling for next gen x64 palemoon hehe)

Tallpaultn

Unread post by Tallpaultn » 2012-07-27, 20:19

The MicroBrowser is light & works well. Great for quickie usage--I plan to keep it installed & use it often. Thanks for creating it, Moonchild. Keep up the good work... :thumbup: :clap:

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-10-05, 09:57

Updated it to a slightly newer version, 1.0.1, since it seems to be semi popular anyway XD
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-10-06, 06:59

Updated to 1.0.2 to fix an "oops" with the new "about" button stealing enter from the Go button, and leaving a test flag on the browser element that should have been off to keep maximum compatibility with the system it runs on.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-08-12, 12:24

Updated to 1.0.3 for a better rendering engine ;)

Note that the start page may not show up properly the first time you start it. If the page does not have rounded corners, the incorrect engine is used, and you should exit and restart the microbrowser.
This is caused by the inability to change rendering mode when the program is already running, and I can't be bothered right now to build in a detections/self-restart routine at the moment.

Also, new location to get it: ftp://archive:get@ftp.palemoon.org/misc ... rowser.exe

ElQuia

Unread post by ElQuia » 2014-08-12, 13:54

Cool, will try out this afternoon.
Thanks

dbz2k

Unread post by dbz2k » 2014-10-16, 21:00

I know you probably don't about this problem but anyway to fix this problem Image

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-10-16, 21:06

There's no real way I can spend more time on this, since it is just "for shits & giggles" XD

If people would like to have a poke at it, I can release it as Open Source, though!
Anyone interested?

Supernova

Unread post by Supernova » 2014-10-16, 21:30

Just downloaded Microbrowser to see how it looks like, and it was surprisingly a pleasure to go on 1 or 2 websites with it. Kinda unexpected. x)

progger

Unread post by progger » 2015-01-23, 12:27

If people would like to have a poke at it, I can release it as Open Source, though!
Anyone interested?
Please do!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-01-23, 16:56

OK, released under the GNU GPL v3

Here's the source:
microbrowser-source-1.0.4.zip
(20.46 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
And a fresh copy of the 1.0.4 binary (with license changes) has been put on the FTP.
Please do share any improvements you made with me :)

ElQuia

Unread post by ElQuia » 2015-01-23, 17:20

Hey Moonchild... please could you post the address of the 1.0.4 binary? can't find the ftp ... :-(

SORRY FOUND IT :oops:

Moonraker
Board Warrior
Board Warrior

Unread post by Moonraker » 2015-11-24, 08:35

Moonchild wrote:For shits and giggles a proof-of-concept "microbrowser" thrown together in very little time.

one single executable of 652 kB, save and run
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1466747/microbrowser.exe
http://ge.tt/7Cpsr0h/v/0?c
Ublock origin is blocking that link.(malware domains.).
Just thought i would point that out.
user of multiple puppy linuxes..upup,fossapup.scpup,xenialpup..... :thumbup:

Pale moon 29.4.1

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2015-11-24, 10:33

I'm not even using ge.tt anymore so it'd be broken. See also the later post above re: new file location.
Also, ge.tt is a generic file hoster (like mega etc.); if ublock origin blocks it, then it's being as bad as some overzealous AV suites.

progger

Unread post by progger » 2016-03-27, 12:14

Moonchild wrote:OK, released under the GNU GPL v3

Here's the source:
microbrowser-source-1.0.4.zip
And a fresh copy of the 1.0.4 binary (with license changes) has been put on the FTP.
Please do share any improvements you made with me :)
Thanks, of course I will... If and when I will find a time to make them :oops:
Huge delay of this response should say a lot about how soon is it likely to happen )

Feature I wanted (and still want...) to add: copying URLs from microb
(microb wipes it when user clicks on URL text field, most obvious fix is to select its entire contents instead)