Pale Moon Commander and Advanced Javascript Parameters

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Pale Moon Commander and Advanced Javascript Parameters

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2014-02-20, 21:45

I am aware that Firefox has recently removed the possibility of using – or not using – Javascript. That was in v. 21 or 22, I think. I think that with current versions, it's even impossible to deactivate Javascript in about:cofig.

Pale Moon still offers some configuration, through Pale Moon Commander (Performance – Javascript), but there are parameters I don't understand and some that seem missing from previously available settings.

1. What do mean the various options that may or may not be enabled:
Baseline JIT compiler for UI scripts... web pages, IonMonkey, OdinMonkey, JS type inference?
(All are currently enabled).

2. Back in the older days of Firefox, one could choose to enable the following Javascript parameters with the dialog box:
Authorize scripts to:
– move or redimension popup windows
– move windows to the foreground or background
– deactivate or replace context menus.

I used to deselect all three options (except for the 3rd one on Google Maps, I didn't see any point with other parameters). Now, on my setup, most of the first two parameters are controlled by Tab Mix Plus. Still I wonder if it is possible, via about:config for example, to keep Javascript active while preventing it from redimensioning windows or moving them around.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: Pale Moon Commander and Advanced Javascript Parameters

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-02-20, 22:42

1. Read the manual (pdf)? :)
2. See Pale Moon Commander: Security -> General. It has those options plus a few more.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: Pale Moon Commander and Advanced Javascript Parameters

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2014-02-21, 01:12

1. Where is the manual? (just kidding)
Prior to asking this question, I googled it a lot and only found technical pages or "sales pitch" like FF 18 has this new Javascript engine, but nothing in concrete terms like "this engine is responsible for screen drawing, or that one for doing number crutching but not string processing", etc. I don't ask you to write the manual, but if anyone has any pointers to sites with good explanations, I will gladly read them.

2. I had looked for them and somehow, I didn't see them. My bad! I either need new glasses or a couple of good nights sleep! Sorry for that.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)