[Solved] profile migration manager UAC

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
link68759

[Solved] profile migration manager UAC

Unread post by link68759 » 2013-12-31, 02:26

When running as a standard user, the migration manager asks to elevate, which effectively breaks it (it uses c:\users\adminuser instead of c:\users\standarduser).

I know you're not really continuing development on this, but I thought you should know.
Last edited by Moonchild on 2014-01-08, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked Solved

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: profile migration manager UAC

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-12-31, 08:49

Odd, you're the first person to mention this - and most people using it are definitely standard users.
Elevating privileges should not change the active user folder, just the rights of the process.
Which Windows version is this on?

Also, it may not have been updated recently but that doesn't mean I won't fix bugs in it when found.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

link68759

Unread post by link68759 » 2014-01-01, 00:42

Well, windows creates an admin user for you when you install it, which is how most people probably use their computer. There is some basic privilege separation, but you are still an admin, not a standard user, and you elevate to yourself.

It's advisable to set up a linux style system, where you're a standard user and you elevate to a separated, admin account when necessary (UAC playing the role of su/sudo). Since you're not elevating to yourself but a separate account, the paths are different.

Win8.1 Pro x64, though you'll be able to reproduce the behavior on vista/7 and maybe even XP.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-01, 10:27

Yup, my mistake for not thinking about the paths.

I've made a new compile of it that doesn't elevate to Admin, but to the highest available within the user account instead, which should still be admin rights for a user-admin account. I chose admin before because especially on Vista systems I ran into problems with file permissions, so trying to work around OS bugs there. I should probably stop trying to cater to broken permissions sytems in unpopular OSes, right? ;)

Let me know if this works for you.
Attachments
pmmig.zip
Version 1.3.2.0
(643.61 KiB) Downloaded 98 times
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

link68759

Unread post by link68759 » 2014-01-01, 18:46

Permission Denied :(

I am able to manually copy, delete, move, and rename both firefox and palemoon profile folders, so it's not an issue with what I have access to. Nothing was in use either.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-01, 20:53

I'll have to have a closer look at why it doesn't work then. Internally I use VBScript and the windows scripting host to copy entire folders in one go using the designated method for VBScript. There shouldn't be a reason that permissions are denied in that case, so short of rewriting the entire tool to use a different method and forgo VBscript, there's no quick solution.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-02, 09:24

Quick question: does Windows 8.1 still include "xcopy" or not?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-02, 10:58

Rebuilt again, with some changes to the VBScript copy routine and added some error handling (should give some more info in case of error).

I tested it in a VM as a standard user on Win 7 SP 1 and it seems to work... No permission errors copying from Firefox to Pale Moon.
If you have time, please test this.
Attachments
pmmig.zip
Version 1.3.3
(643.87 KiB) Downloaded 128 times

link68759

Unread post by link68759 » 2014-01-08, 22:38

Works perfectly!

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2014-01-08, 22:58

Thanks - I've published it for general use.