FossaMail

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
Trinoc
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: FossaMail

Unread post by Trinoc » 2013-12-08, 11:58

I hope the "Vista and above" proviso is not a portent of the future. I would be seriously put out if Palemoon stopped working on my old XP systems.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-12-08, 12:19

Trinoc wrote:I hope the "Vista and above" proviso is not a portent of the future. I would be seriously put out if Palemoon stopped working on my old XP systems.
Unfortunately it's inevitable. Windows XP will be at the end of it's extended support cycle in April 2014. While I have no intention of dropping support for XP in the browser until I switch code bases again (likely later on in the year), I will not continue supporting XP indefinitely with Pale Moon either. It prevents the use of some optimizations (I have to make special arrangement in VS2012 to build for XP), and EoL means the OS is officially abandoned and will not receive any further updates. See also the announcement to this effect.

FossaMail will focus on future use. It's beta, and by the time I sort things out for it, XP will have very little life left, so I see no reason to build with the same adaptations catering to that OS.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite

ag0044
Moonbather
Moonbather

Unread post by ag0044 » 2013-12-16, 05:24

There doesn't seem to have been a flood of problems, so I downloaded the 64-bit version, installed, copied over current profile and set up.

The default skin isn't to my liking, so grabbed and installed a "Classic" theme with a bit of persuasion.

Had a problem with the Account settings ("Local directory path is not suitable..."), and found an answer on MozillaZine was to carefully edit the appropriate prefs.js, which worked for me.

In summary, not uneventful, but very close to it. All working fine for me so far. Goodbye MailNews, I think.

Thanks to Moonchild
Usually, I'm wrong. But, sometimes, I'm right.
Usually, I'm Left. But, sometimes, I'm Right.
Usually, I'm left-handed. But, sometimes, I'm right-handed.

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Re: FossaMail as a Portable Application?

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2013-12-22, 22:00

I haven't tried FossaMail yet. Generally speaking, Thunderbird does the job correctly, but based on my experience with Palemoon, I am thinking of trying Fossamail. One question though: is it possible to install it in a "semi-portable" fashion, i.e. having the program and profile on a portable disk drive. I don't mind if I leave traces on the host computers (they usually are mine); it's just that I like to use the same Fossamail (or Thunderbird) program and data whether I'm using the home computer or the portable one.
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-12-22, 23:21

I'm probably going to make a FossaMail portable setup, since I plan to make it an OpenPGP-ready mail client (which means packaging GnuPG and Enigmail) which is done easiest by way of a portable setup with appropriate defaults.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb

mgagnonlv
Lunatic
Lunatic

Unread post by mgagnonlv » 2013-12-23, 01:28

Wonderful!
Michel Gagnon
Montréal (Québec, Canada)

nevadacrab
Moon lover
Moon lover

Unread post by nevadacrab » 2013-12-26, 08:19

Is/will there be themes available for Fossmail? Or are Thunderbird themes usable?

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-12-26, 08:23

Thunderbird themes and extensions will be usable.

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Unread post by Moonchild » 2013-12-27, 11:51

Please direct further discussion of the mail client towards to the FossaMail forum boards. Please make separate threads for individual questions/support issues/discussions to keep things organized. Thanks!