React OS Build?

For discussions about side projects, potential future projects or helper applications for Pale Moon.
MichaelAndrew
Moongazer
Moongazer

Re: React OS Build?

Unread post by MichaelAndrew » 2023-11-13, 18:36

Moonchild wrote:
2023-11-13, 11:22
MichaelAndrew wrote:
2023-11-13, 02:01
it keeps corrupting disks
What's the most common reason for corruption? concurrent access. what prevents concurrent access corruption? mutexes. Hey guess what, these locks are mutexes ;)
I'm guessing something is definitely wrong there. maybe the very existence of "hidden" API calls around locking and having 2 locking mechanisms side-by-side is what causes it.

Just saying, and all...
Wish i was more informed to reply to that properly,
last time my disk corrupted i was downloading a file most of the time there are less severe bugs where rectos cannot fully boot and needs to be wiped clean and started from scratch.

just a fan of React OS who has been experimenting with the hidden features

Moonchild
Pale Moon guru
Pale Moon guru

Re: React OS Build?

Unread post by Moonchild » 2023-11-13, 22:27

MichaelAndrew wrote:
2023-11-13, 18:36
just a fan of React OS who has been experimenting with the hidden features
Hey I wholly supported their efforts for a while. Enough even to be on the supporter page for donating. But for the past 10 years or so it's been stalling over and over, with critical and essential things not addressed (I mean, an OS that has a high likelihood of just croaking and shitting its bed is simply not acceptable). I hope my support back then helped someone, but really I'm having a hard time believing it'll ever get out of it's pre-alpha state at this point. I know it's a massive task to implement everything but really, there's a time for proof-of-concept and there's a time to actually deliver. it has a very high chance of becoming a meme (if it isn't already) at this point.
"Sometimes, the best way to get what you want is to be a good person." -- Louis Rossmann
"Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past; wisdom is of the future." -- Native American proverb
"Linux makes everything difficult." -- Lyceus Anubite